• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 Rookie Card sells for big money!
4 4

323 posts in this topic

Just now, Broke as a Joke said:

I find it ironic that now that comic book trading cards are becoming valuable CGC won't grade them even with the launch of a service that should be cleaning up in this particular segment.  

Makes no sense.

Sort of like Beanie Babies????

30 minutes ago, Rip said:

I would not sub this card. I see a few problem areas. Centering on back isn't that bad but the corners looks like they have issues. Best thing to do is to put it in a sleave and do a scan at 1200 DPI on both sides. Then compare to some other High end scans.

okay, I will try that.  Whats wrong with the corners btw?  I must be blind.  They look sharp to me

I'm debating sending stuff in, the yields are attractive, but the wait times are a deterrent. And then there's this. After waiting anywhere from half a year to a year for cards to come back, there's this pickle. And tbh, I have to say is a legit concern for me as I can't remember the last time I sold anything on there. Buying is a different story, but the games people play on that minefield, fuggedaboutit:

image.png.4678d162312468c92d7fb6784b3bf776.png

1 hour ago, Broke as a Joke said:

I find it ironic that now that comic book trading cards are becoming valuable CGC won't grade them even with the launch of a service that should be cleaning up in this particular segment.  

Makes no sense.

Honestly, apart from my feelings towards them, PSA is where the money is at. Everyone knows this. On certain cards, particularly the value differences between say a PSA 9 and BVG 9, you would have to be nuts to consider using anyone other than PSA.

26 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

I'm debating sending stuff in, the yields are attractive, but the wait times are a deterrent. And then there's this. After waiting anywhere from half a year to a year for cards to come back, there's this pickle. And tbh, I have to say is a legit concern for me as I can't remember the last time I sold anything on there. Buying is a different story, but the games people play on that minefield, fuggedaboutit:

image.png.4678d162312468c92d7fb6784b3bf776.png

I've been using Mercari now for a few months and I really like it. They require payment from the buyer before they can buy and I haven't had any issues with returns in over 50 sales. It shows over 10 mil downloads in Google store so it has a base. It pays you immediately after the buyer rates you or 3 days after delivery, whichever is first. It has shipping deals with the usps, ups and FedEx and makes shipping easier and cheaper. Heres my link that gives us both some money off:

Mercari link - $30 bonus

22 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

Honestly, apart from my feelings towards them, PSA is where the money is at. Everyone knows this. On certain cards, particularly the value differences between say a PSA 9 and BVG 9, you would have to be nuts to consider using anyone other than PSA.

I know you know your stuff as I recall you from the early 2000's here.

I WAS in the sports cards from 2001 - 2005 and lost small six figures.

I made far more off of BVS Beckett 9, 9.5 than I ever did PSA 10's no matter the card/series.

The Customers 80% or more said Beckett was superior.

Your take?

CAL who used to sell a lot....

5 minutes ago, Calamerica said:

I made far more off of BVS Beckett 9, 9.5 than I ever did PSA 10's no matter the card/series.

The Customers 80% or more said Beckett was superior.

Your take?

There’s been a reputational shift.   PSA draws the premium now.

3 minutes ago, 500Club said:

There’s been a reputational shift.   PSA draws the premium now.

May I ask how that happened???

CAL who still finds the occasional box or two....

1 minute ago, Calamerica said:

I’m not entirely sure, TBH, as I have been a recreational hockey card collector for the last couple decades, and don’t follow the graded market closely.  I do remember the time period you recall, where BGS 9.5s drew the premium.

Any graded card cognoscenti here to chime in?

Just now, 500Club said:

I’m not entirely sure, TBH, as I have been a recreational hockey card collector for the last couple decades, and don’t follow the graded market closely.  I do remember the time period you recall, where BGS 9.5s drew the premium.

Any graded card cognoscenti here to chime in?

How is the Comic market where you are at up North???

9 minutes ago, Calamerica said:

Yeah... PSA is the go to company... 

Don't know exactly when the tipping point was but it happened at least for certain generations / eras of cards. 

Edited by Buzzetta