• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would an otherwise 9.8 book grade as with writing on one page of the interior?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Wondering what an otherwise 9.8 book would grade as with one name in pen on a single page of the interior of the book?

To be clear, book grades 9.8 without the writing on the single page of the interior. Is it automatically "xx" (9.0, 9.2, 9.4) or would it vary?

13 minutes ago, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning,

Thanks for your message. If the book has an unwitnessed signature, it would receive a qualified label with a notation on the label. 

Thanks,

With the writing on the interior, not on the cover, it would still recieve a qualified (green) label and not a universal (blue) label with a "name written in pen on first page" notation? 

7 hours ago, steveinthecity said:

I’m sure there’s many examples of 9.8’s that have unwitnessed sigs on the splash page receiving blue universal labels.

Blue vs Green label for signature on splash page - Comic Book Grading and Restoration Issues - CGC Comic Book Collectors Chat B.png

So that's my confusion I guess. In your example is the book graded without regard to the writing on the first page? Or is the writing considered a "flaw" brining this book down from 10 to 9.8?

And where is the line or distinction between receiving a universal blue label vs. a qualified green label?

5 hours ago, Fisionbomb said:

So that's my confusion I guess. In your example is the book graded without regard to the writing on the first page? Or is the writing considered a "flaw" brining this book down from 10 to 9.8?

And where is the line or distinction between receiving a universal blue label vs. a qualified green label?

I don’t imagine a relatively unobtrusive signature on the splash is looked at unfavorably from a structural grade standpoint, similar to date stamps on the cover. As to the “line”, I don’t recall seeing green labels for sigs on the interior.  On the cover, yes.  

On 2/12/2021 at 8:53 AM, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning,

Thanks for your message. If the book has an unwitnessed signature, it would receive a qualified label with a notation on the label. 

Thanks,

No, that is incorrect. Writing on an interior page will receive a blue label, as shown in the example above.

• Administrator

Hi, I did double check with our graders and they did confirm that a book with an unwitnessed signature can potentially still receive a blue label as long as there were no other defects that made it qualified.

Thanks!

Just received 4 books back from CGC (Predator 1-4) 9.4, 9.4, 9.2, 9.2 respectively. All universal blue label with a notation "Name written on 1st page in pen."

Still not clear on when an unwitnessed signature kicks over to a qualified green label... but now I know a bit more I suppose.

• Administrator

Hello, an unwitnessed signature on the cover will result in a qualified label.  If the signature is on any of the interior pages, then it could still receive a blue label if there are no other defects on the book that would require a qualified label.

Thanks!