• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will CGC ever get DC label's?
3 3

34 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Doesnt this come down to a licensing agreememt with DC? Does DC ever do anything that makes sense, or would be in their brands interest?

Might have to go trough dc direct to order lol

I would put this on DC.  I think it was Walking Dead and Valiant that did the label thing first, followed by Marvel.  I am sure that CGC reached out to DC if they have already gone the Valiant and Marvel route.   So, I am assuming this falls on DC. 

21 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I would put this on DC.  I think it was Walking Dead and Valiant that did the label thing first, followed by Marvel.  I am sure that CGC reached out to DC if they have already gone the Valiant and Marvel route.   So, I am assuming this falls on DC. 

Does AT&T move fast on anything with DC?  

21 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Doesnt this come down to a licensing agreememt with DC? Does DC ever do anything that makes sense, or would be in their brands interest?

Best Q this Thread.....

6 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Correct

The labels seem like a huge money grab, with few takers (???).  People (including myself for resale) are willing to pay $5 for putting a small graphic or minor background modifications onto a cardboard label that you are already printing up, and you offer an embarrassingly limited amount of these?  How stupid is that? 

An entire comic book - original story, penciling, coloring, lettering, editing, printing, distribution, and retail markup is $3.  But $5 for a picture hardly bigger than a postage stamp and you aren't trying to produce that heck out of that???

There are 11 current labels instead of hundreds and hundreds throughout all the publishers' universes.  How is that even possible???  Put some effort into it, CGC.  Or DC, or Marvel, or anyone who would like to make some free money.

I sent some Thor 337's in a couple of months ago, in process.  Would have loved to put Thor labels on them, not available at the time.  And then they show up - too late.  Now we have Young Doom and Hobgoblin to choose from, instead of all the other heavy hitters in the comic universe??  This is just as stupid as can be.

DC seem to be the “followers” when it comes to comic trends. They should try and take the reigns sometime and present something new to the hobby. Instead of the same format of custom labels, they could add a paper doll to the interior of the slab of a character holding the book like a presentation. Kind of like how Superman is standing on this cover but without obscuring too much of the book in the slab (shrug)

image.jpeg.e96eebf74478349e406b0c1ecf0ea43e.jpeg

45 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

i'm off topic, but why do any of you want characters on your labels? you know they're almost always on the comic book cover, just below the label. you want to have them appear twice? makes no sense to me, a label should be a label. these labels actually detract from the appearance of a slabbed book, imho. 

I think it’s corny too but what some of us think is awful, others think it’s the cat’s pajamas

1 hour ago, www.alexgross.com said:

i'm off topic, but why do any of you want characters on your labels? you know they're almost always on the comic book cover, just below the label. you want to have them appear twice? makes no sense to me, a label should be a label. these labels actually detract from the appearance of a slabbed book, imho. 

In that regard, the entire label detracts from the visual aesthetic of the comic.  If there was a way that only the encased comic showed, not a tall case to accommodate the label, that would be great.  But they had to put it somewhere. 

Even putting it on the back only would cover up something, especially with wrap-around covers.  So we are stuck with it as a header. 

If someone wants to bling that thang, go for it.  I buy the label any time I can, only because I get more for them in the marketplace, and it stands out among all the non-label competitors.

A billion fanboys can't be wrong.  They vote with their $$$.

2 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

In that regard, the entire label detracts from the visual aesthetic of the comic.  

agree to disagree i suppose. i'm talking about the senselessness of repeating art above art. regular labels with type do not detract from the awesome artwork on a comic book cover. they just provide information. it's adding a pic of spidey above the cover of the comic featuring spidey that seems ridiculous to myself and many others. 

2 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

agree to disagree i suppose. i'm talking about the senselessness of repeating art above art. regular labels with type do not detract from the awesome artwork on a comic book cover. they just provide information. it's adding a pic of spidey above the cover of the comic featuring spidey that seems ridiculous to myself and many others. 

I don't have a strong opinion on the standard labels.  They're fine.  The slab, capsule, label unit is a holder, a protector, mostly.  And it does a good job of that.  Any other positive characteristics are gravy.  Oh yeah, and it's good that it's graded.

Just for yuks, I submitted a bunch for custom labels.  Cost me more, so I charged more, enough to double my "label investment".  They sold fine, so I'm on board.  Now it irks me when I send an order in that I can't get labels for EVERY character.  Potential $$$ I could be gathering.