• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will CGC ever get DC label's?
3 3

34 posts in this topic

When the custom labels first came out, my clients were enthusiastic.  But then we quickly discovered the custom labels end up costing MOST submissions a lot more than $5 a book. 

CGC treats the custom labels in a submission as a separate submission. So if one is only sending in a ten Spider-Man books for grading - one only pays an extra $5 a book for the labels ($50 extra) . But if one is sending in six Spider-Man books, two Batman books, one Black Panther and one Eternals - now you are paying for two shipments (one of six books plus one of four books) You pay an extra $30 for special labels an extra $5 invoice fee and an extra $40 in shipping.  So the real cost of special labels on six books in this instance is $75 - not $30. That's $12.50 a book. 

So while I think some DC labels would be cool, I doubt the special labels are selling anywhere near as well as they could if CGC would stop with the "it's a separate submission" thing. 

15 hours ago, Tony S said:

When the custom labels first came out, my clients were enthusiastic.  But then we quickly discovered the custom labels end up costing MOST submissions a lot more than $5 a book. 

CGC treats the custom labels in a submission as a separate submission. So if one is only sending in a ten Spider-Man books for grading - one only pays an extra $5 a book for the labels ($50 extra) . But if one is sending in six Spider-Man books, two Batman books, one Black Panther and one Eternals - now you are paying for two shipments (one of six books plus one of four books) You pay an extra $30 for special labels an extra $5 invoice fee and an extra $40 in shipping.  So the real cost of special labels on six books in this instance is $75 - not $30. That's $12.50 a book. 

So while I think some DC labels would be cool, I doubt the special labels are selling anywhere near as well as they could if CGC would stop with the "it's a separate submission" thing. 

Would it be safe for me to assume that the same is true of the new Pedigree labels?  If I send a group of reholders, the ones getting the special Pedigree label are going to be treated as a separate submission from the rest of the reholders? 

On 2/13/2021 at 9:00 PM, Lightning55 said:

The labels seem like a huge money grab, with few takers (???).  People (including myself for resale) are willing to pay $5 for putting a small graphic or minor background modifications onto a cardboard label that you are already printing up, and you offer an embarrassingly limited amount of these?  How stupid is that? 

An entire comic book - original story, penciling, coloring, lettering, editing, printing, distribution, and retail markup is $3.  But $5 for a picture hardly bigger than a postage stamp and you aren't trying to produce that heck out of that???

There are 11 current labels instead of hundreds and hundreds throughout all the publishers' universes.  How is that even possible???  Put some effort into it, CGC.  Or DC, or Marvel, or anyone who would like to make some free money.

I sent some Thor 337's in a couple of months ago, in process.  Would have loved to put Thor labels on them, not available at the time.  And then they show up - too late.  Now we have Young Doom and Hobgoblin to choose from, instead of all the other heavy hitters in the comic universe??  This is just as stupid as can be.

I have to admit, that I did it for a cover I love.   This is my favorite book in the Ditko run and when I had it CPR'd (7.5 to the 8.5) I said, why not toss in a fiver and get the label.  I liked Spider-man with the city background.  Was it needless spending?  Sure.  This entire hobby is basically needless spending... but... I felt the need to indulge myself once. 

Any other labels that I have on books are there because they were already slabbed in that fashion when I bought the slab at auction.  The Stan Lee ones are kind of neat though. 

image.png.4857a223e9fe7b326e0e0173685442d5.png

I thought the labels were pretty silly when they started, and $5 a piece seemed rather steep for a little bit of colored ink, but then I considered that they're also likely paying some sort of licensing fee so maybe $5 is just right. I dunno. I was never tempted until they released the Giant Size X-Men label. I've been thinking about sending my GSX 1 in, and for an extra $5, seems like it might be fun to have the label on there. And once the label is discontinued, perhaps that would make the slab more appealing to others if I decide to sell it. I would never pay a premium for a label on a book for my collection, but someone else might, down the road.

17 minutes ago, Mephisto said:

Although considering there isn’t much in the way of Keys... if CGC offered a @greggy short shorts custom label for Bronze DC Romance books I’d probably consider paying $10 per specialty label.

20210217_121736.jpg.09df3e0eeb9d2f8ba8b892a7b12c186e.jpg

(thumbsu

On 2/16/2021 at 3:02 PM, Number 6 said:

Would it be safe for me to assume that the same is true of the new Pedigree labels?  If I send a group of reholders, the ones getting the special Pedigree label are going to be treated as a separate submission from the rest of the reholders? 

That seems logical and consistent. But my answer is I do not know. I have not sent in any pedigree's recently. 

On 2/16/2021 at 1:02 PM, Number 6 said:

No, that's not how it's worked for me in the past. But I've never done one of the special special labels as a reholder. Customer service should give you a definitive answer. Try the ask cgc thread.