• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who are your "acquired taste" artist?
1 1

51 posts in this topic

The artist that you don't get at first or like his/her style, but you learn to appreciate with time... 

For me:
* Don Newton. I was 15 when I read his work in Batman.
* Gen Colan. I was maybe 10 or younger when I read his Daredevil run.
* Kelly Jones. The first contact with this artist was with Batman. I was not sure what to think about it...

Mignola, from dislike to appreciate, but still not in love.

I never used to like the more impresssionistic style of art (and I use the term "impressionistic" lightly), but favored things more in the Adams/Bryne style. Then gravitated to a more realistic/photorealisic style, before moving towards a freer style (Mandrake, Colan, Jason Shawn Alexander). Mignola's work is more like that, but a little far, at least at times.

Actually for me it's Sienkiewicz, while younger I didn't like his scratchy almost abstract art, but I came around.

In more recent ties, Jason Shawn Alexander was the same.  I didn't like his art in Queen and Country when he had his run, but appreciated it later.

Malvin

Joe Kubert and Frank Thorne. As a kid, I used to cringe when I would see a Kubert cover on the Justice League or Flash. Thorne always reminded me of an erotic Pat Boyette, really disliked his work. I came around on Kubert in the 1980s and over the last 10 years or so have developed an appetite for Thorne also.

I have to reach far back to my teenage years to find an artist I like now, but wasn't a fan of on first exposure. As a young Marvel fan, I didn't really care for Don Heck, finding his style too scratchy, and not a good fit for Superhero comics. It didn't help he was best known for Iron Man, I character I has little interest in. Later on, discovering his 1950s output I came to appreciate him more. I still wouldn't call him a favorite, but definitely a better than average artist of the era.

When I first saw Al Avison's work in a GA Captain America comic it seemed pretty weak compared to the more familiar S&K version of the hero, and I didn't really care for it. Now I tend to think of him as the emblematic Timely artist, and while no Alex Schomburg, responsible for plenty of great covers and splash pages.

When I started reading undergrounds, I wasn't a big fan of Jack Jackson (Jaxon). I didn't dislike his art, but it did nothing for me. Eventually as I read his western history pieces, his art came to seem an indispensable part of his storytelling genius. 

That's all I can think of for now.

1 minute ago, Drewsky said:

BWS. I hated his art when I first got into Conan. I am still a Buscema guy, but I like BWS more and more each time I see it. 

I remember feeling somewhat the opposite. I loved the BWS art when buying Conan off the stands in the early 70s, and though I liked Buscema's art on superhero books, it was such a let down when Smith stopped drawing Conan that I stopped buying it. Later on I could appreciate the Buscema was actually a decent fit for the character, even though I never got around to buying the title again. 

1 hour ago, Math Teacher said:

For me, it was Don Heck from Marvel and Mike Sekowsky from DC. I would read early Justice League of America issues, and the first thought that always came to my mind was, "How come the insides of this comic don't look as good as the cover?"

Sekowsky did some pretty decent work in the 50s, but his JLA stuff was always unappealing to me, stiff, blocky and cluttered looking. His Bronze Age work was a little more interesting, though not as nice as his work in the early 50s when he was a little more Toth influenced. His earliest stuff for Timely is cruder, with a fairly generic Golden Age look. 

2 hours ago, rjpb said:

Sekowsky did some pretty decent work in the 50s, but his JLA stuff was always unappealing to me, stiff, blocky and cluttered looking. His Bronze Age work was a little more interesting, though not as nice as his work in the early 50s when he was a little more Toth influenced. His earliest stuff for Timely is cruder, with a fairly generic Golden Age look. 

Well, to a 6-year old boy, reading JLA issues always made me feel like I was getting much more than my $0.12 would normally buy. I could buy a JLA, and see a variety of super-heroes, or I could buy a Superman comic and only read Superman stories.

I think Sekowsky suffered from trying to fit all those heroes onto a page. Not many artists can be known for their team artwork, but George Perez, for one, is an excellent team artist.