• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who are your "acquired taste" artist?
1 1

51 posts in this topic

Total turnarounds:

- '70s Kirby

- F Miller on DD

- W Simonson on Thor

- R Andru

Working on it

- Mike Allred

- Gene Colan on Dracula

- S Ditko (I know I know....I will get there eventually)

- W Simonson on X-Factor

Not there yet

- S Kieth

- Sienkiewicz after the New Mutants

I have a feeling this is going to be wildly unpopular but mine is Tony Salmons. Dude seemingly has no work ethic and comes off as a tool in old interviews but there is something about his art that just works for me. I like the dash of Kirby, maybe? I honestly wish he had done more in comics because there just isn't a lot out there.

40 minutes ago, ChrisSnorek said:

I have a feeling this is going to be wildly unpopular but mine is Tony Salmons. Dude seemingly has no work ethic and comes off as a tool in old interviews but there is something about his art that just works for me. I like the dash of Kirby, maybe? I honestly wish he had done more in comics because there just isn't a lot out there.

You have a Thing by Tony? Welcome to the boards Chris!

I will echo others take on Sienkiewicz on New Mutants.  As a kid in the 80s, his work was confusing and I had no idea what was going on so I stopped reading it.   I did come around, and currently I do like his unique style.  

27 minutes ago, comiconxion said:

Herb Trimpe... at first looked a lot like Kirby, but have learned to appreciate his distinctive style, especially on the Hulk.  And, getting to know him personally enhanced my appreciation of his work.

The Hulk is a tough guy to get to know.