• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark Bagley's Miles Morales Spider-Man Cover Art Sells for $225,000
1 1

127 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

This. I think going forward Miles will be a more significant comics character than either Deadpool or Harley Quinn.

He's *already* more significant than alternate characters like Tim Drake, Kyle Rayner, or X-23.

And for reference, I own New Mutants 98 and Batman Adventures 12. I don't own Ultimate Fall-Out 4.

Self interested tangent--Where does John Stewart (Green Lantern) fall into the "alternate characters" pantheon? Even more relevant to the Miles Morales equation, John Stewart as a minority alternative character?

As for reference, I DO own the cover of his first appearance (Green Lantern/Green Arrow), and always thought he was a much more interesting character than Hal Jordan! But yeah, I've got skin in the game.

9 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Self interested tangent--Where does John Stewart (Green Lantern) fall into the "alternate characters" pantheon? Even more relevant to the Miles Morales equation, John Stewart as a minority alternative character?

As for reference, I DO own the cover of his first appearance (Green Lantern/Green Arrow), and always thought he was a much more interesting character than Hal Jordan! But yeah, I've got skin in the game.

I can’t help myself. But is this type of analysis not a tad absurd ? I get it. I really do. But this is everything I hated about comic book collecting. Now it’s migrating to OA. Next we are going to start slabbing our art 😔

20 minutes ago, Peter G said:

I can’t help myself. But is this type of analysis not a tad absurd ? I get it. I really do. But this is everything I hated about comic book collecting. Now it’s migrating to OA. Next we are going to start slabbing our art 😔

No worries. Just talking comics and art. Not your thing? Cool. You do you.

42 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

I ask similar questions to my friends when I think recent sales are comparable to items I won.

In terms of John Stewart though, not my area of expertise but I think if he was deemed to be as important as Miles Morales, it would have happened already since he was created so long ago.  So my assumption is this recent sale won't impact it at all.

Malvin

8 hours ago, Shin-Kaiser said:

Did you read the article? The previous two records for the highest selling comic art were both first appearances of both Wolverine and X-23. Both iconic books.

Yes, this high selling art is from an iconic book. Obviously not iconic to you mind. You seem to be from a generation that can easily disregard Mile Morales, which is absolutely fine. Comics and comic culture is moving on from your golden age though, this sale is a sure sign of that. Miles Morales has his own video game. I'm guessing you haven't played it, but I wonder how many younger than you have?

I bought a sticker book for my son a few months ago, it reminded me of my first exposure to Marvel which was a Secret Wars Sticker book back in the day. I noticed though that Spider-Man (Peter Parker), Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen had equal prominence throughout the book. As far as my son knows, these 3 characters have existed together since day one. As we age and the comic art market matures, it will change. I wonder what comic issues and art my sons generation will consider key. I'm guessing it will be wildly different from your 2 cents 

I think you missed my point.  My comment was not about the validity of a new character, nor whether Miles will have lasting appeal.  What I am saying is that quality should have more weight than the novelty of a "first appearance".  I've been collecting OA for close to two decades.  I've never had a single conversation with another collector who said, "you know what I want?  The first appearance of (fill in the blank)."  This is the mentality of the comic BOOK collector who is taught to value “keys”.  First appearances are the least interesting thing about the comic book medium as an art form.  If the comic book medium is to have any lasting appreciation by the culture at large, it will be because of the quality of the important works.  This is true in all the arts; film, literature, fine art, music.  Nobody cares about an artist’s first film, book, song, or painting; each is judged on its merits.  So, in 100 years, people will (hopefully) be reading Maus, and Watchmen, and I can’t imagine anyone being very interested in the first appearance of any character - outside the novelty of it.  My experience as a collector, and in talking to other collectors over the years, is that people want art from the “important” books.  That’s been the norm.  So, the question is, will first appearance originals always be valued at a premium?  Maybe.  Or will the “significant” works fetch the highest prices?  I hope so.  Of course there's the possibility that both will be true.  Time will tell.

37 minutes ago, Peter G said:

This entire discussion is about how high the prices are on "first appearances" - in this case, an alternative Spider-Man.  But somehow discussing the alternative GL is "absurd"? hm

3 minutes ago, comicinkking.com said:

This entire discussion is about how high the prices are on "first appearances" - in this case, an alternative Spider-Man.  But somehow discussing the alternative GL is "absurd"? hm

To be honest, I think the price and whole justification of the price and furthermore the whole meta conversation is a tad nutty 😂

But Scott gave me permission to be me so that’s my excuse and I’m sticking with it 😐

1 hour ago, stinkininkin said:

FWIW, if you put up that cover at auction I think you’d do well. But $225k well? It’s not where I would place my bet. This isn’t to denigrate John Stewart (who has a lot of media crossover btw/obviously), but he’s not Spider-Man...and anything Spider-Man has the 🔥 factor. Spidey fetches a premium as does Wolverine (see: X-23). Spidey and his off-shoots are going to get a lot of media saturation which is going to attract the attention of the deep-pockets. 

2 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Miles Morales is a great character. He’s going to become a huge pop culture icon. That’s why this sold for so much. This isn’t just about diversity. That’s kind of ridiculous. 

Ok, humor me, if Miles Morales wasn’t black would he still be this important pop icon you claim him to be ? You say it’s ridiculous to claim it is anything about diversity and yet you are so blind you cannot see that it is ALL about that very fact. 

4 minutes ago, Peter G said:

Ok, humor me, if Miles Morales wasn’t black would he still be this important pop icon you claim him to be ? You say it’s ridiculous to claim it is anything about diversity and yet you are so blind you cannot see that it is ALL about that very fact. 

It’s a character that clicked. He’s a great character. Lots of “diverse” characters are flops. Are you one of those people who think Black Panther only made a ton of money because of guilty white people going to see it? 

Why was Michinne a break out character from Walking Dead? Just because she’s a black woman and Robert Kirkman was trying to be all woke? 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

50 minutes ago, John E. said:

FWIW, if you put up that cover at auction I think you’d do well. But $225k well? It’s not where I would place my bet. This isn’t to denigrate John Stewart (who has a lot of media crossover btw/obviously), but he’s not Spider-Man...and anything Spider-Man has the 🔥 factor. Spidey fetches a premium as does Wolverine (see: X-23). Spidey and his off-shoots are going to get a lot of media saturation which is going to attract the attention of the deep-pockets. 

Tying into the first appearance gist of the thread, I was more curious about if you were going to have a first appearance Green Lantern example, which one reigns supreme as THE definitive GL moving forward? John Stewart, Hal Jordan, Alan Scott, Kyle Rainer, Guy Gardner, etc?  And I ask because I haven't read the comics in some time, and Stewart was a favorite of the 11 year old me, but there's a lot of nostalgia clouding my judgement, so I don't know where the fan population ranks these characters today. Peter Parker will always be THE Spiderman for a certain generation, and Miles Morales might be THE Spiderman for a future (or current) generation, and I wondered if that drift could apply to other characters (like GL). I wasn't looking for a dollar value comparison by the way because comparing Spiderman and GL is apples and oranges (Spidey is massive, GL not so much), and also my cover is not for sale. Period.

Edited by stinkininkin

10 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

It’s a character that clicked. He’s a great character. Lots of “diverse” characters are flops. Are you one of those people who think Black Panther only made a ton of money because of guilty white people going to see it? 

I am not saying Miles Morales isn’t a great character. Nor that he does not resonate with the audience because there isn’t pathos. That is genuine. And just plain good story telling.

What I am saying is that he is a derivative character that gets the attention he gets only because he’s black. It’s not original. And it’s certainly not important or significant. 

In my mind, what makes this moment so significant is that so many people think MM is so important and significant just for being a black Spider-Man. 

And -  I’m not sure your point about Black Panther. Who doesn’t like the Black Panther ? I hope your not implying people only like the Black Panther because of his race 😯. That would be very shallow thinking. 

Edited by Peter G

1 hour ago, comicinkking.com said:

I've never had a single conversation with another collector who said, "you know what I want?  The first appearance of (fill in the blank)."

I'm a big fan of first appearances. Every major comic book character has had dozens of "important" storylines, but his or her first appearance? That's extra special.

1 hour ago, stinkininkin said:

Tying into the first appearance gist of the thread, I was more curious about if you were going to have a first appearance Green Lantern example, which one reigns supreme as THE definitive GL moving forward? John Stewart, Hal Jordan, Alan Scott, Kyle Rainer, Guy Gardner, etc?  And I ask because I haven't read the comics in some time, and Stewart was a favorite of the 11 year old me, but there's a lot of nostalgia clouding my judgement, so I don't know where the fan population ranks these characters today. Peter Parker will always be THE Spiderman for a certain generation, and Miles Morales might be THE Spiderman for a future (or current) generation, and I wondered if that drift could apply to other characters (like GL). I wasn't looking for a dollar value comparison by the way because comparing Spiderman and GL is apples and oranges (Spidey is massive, GL not so much), and also my cover is not for sale. Period.

Ah, I misunderstood your question. And, of course, by any stretch, I didn’t think you were looking to cash in on your cover. 

To your question: to me, when I think of Green Lantern I think of Hal Jordan. I was in high school when I read Emerald Twilight which is a lead in to the introduction of Kyle Raynor. I followed Kyle’s exploits for about 6 month and he has a sort of nostalgic soft spot to me. But is he still even around? Did DC do anything interesting with him? I’m also curious to know where others stand, too.

I do like John Stewart but I have that Justice League animated show to thank for. 

Lastly, I know I shouldn’t bring up pricing again, but I want to renege my thoughts on the value of your John Stewart cover. I think it can fetch the $225k or close to it.