• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark Bagley's Miles Morales Spider-Man Cover Art Sells for $225,000
1 1

127 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Peter G said:

One of the most important covers in comic history 😂

The arc of history is much longer than the short blip of your life

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away."

By those standards, none of it matters anyways. Comics as a whole are a blip relative to history.

Considering Miles Morales in the context of comic history, I think it's pretty safe the character and this cover are going to age very, very well. But time will tell.

4 minutes ago, Peter G said:

One of the most important covers in comic history 😂

The arc of history is much longer than the short blip of your life

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away."

What do Watchmen have to do with this thread? 

3 minutes ago, Varanis said:

By those standards, none of it matters anyways. Comics as a whole are a blip relative to history.

Considering Miles Morales in the context of comic history, I think it's pretty safe the character and this cover are going to age very, very well. But time will tell.

No you miss my point. You must learn to value items through the lens of a long time frame. Granted, all this free money seriously distorts things in the near time but if you put on your long term glasses you will see that this cover is purely all text, and no token, and that seriously impairs it’s value !

Anyways, you kids buy your ethereum and your bipcoins. I cannot force you to see my wisdom. YOLO 😔

3 minutes ago, vodou said:

Everybody sees 400 now that 225 happened. But who would have been jumping at 175 a month ago? Nobody (well except maybe one dude ;) ).

Not everyone. Those who know how crazy the market has become.

Would I jump at 175? Probably not because its well outside of my comfort zone. Heck even at 100k I couldn't buy it lol 

1 hour ago, AnkurJ said:

I could see this for 400k at auction.

I think it's reasonably well known that Tom Fish was the seller. I think he's too good to leave that much any meat on the bone. I think whoever he sold it to, he found the guy who will pay the most at the current time.  

Not that it couldn't get to $400K, though, if this across-the-board asset price inflation continues for another year or two.

Although the art is mediocre to me, this is clearly an important cover for a character on the rise... Although diversity is the new thing, it is here to stay. Sure it might not always be the hot topic, but we aren't going to just start cutting characters of color from comics. If anything, we will see more. This cover has, and is likely to retain, cultural significance.

Thus, it is likely to keep a lot of value because of the cultural symbol Miles Morales is (one of the most popular black characters to take on a major comic identity such as Spider man). The population isn't going to suddenly stop caring about black people, so I bet it holds its value or increases.

Edited by babsrocks31

I posted this comment on the Facebook discussion about this and reposting here.  Mark Morales has been around for a decade. So while he’s “hot” now (I guess) he’s not exactly Peter Parker. I’ve been collecting comic art for over 15 years and I don’t recall so much significance being placed on a “first appearance”. The best selling comic art has typically been what many consider to be iconic books of the genre. Is this book one of them? I don’t know - never read it (but I doubt it). There’s been a trend in OA collecting which is that a lot of comic book collectors transition into the original art market, and they bring with them some of the book collector mentality (e.g., first appearances). And while it’s entirely possible that the market is heading in that direction, I doubt that too. My .02.

4 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

I don't think this is just about diversity. I have no affinity for this cover, the artist who drew it or the comic itself (never read it). However, when I saw the film 'Into The SpiderVerse' with Miles Morales, I thought it was an unbelievable breath of fresh air and the best Spiderman I'd experienced in years if not decades. I think he can continue to be an important and iconic character, so the price paid for a first appearance original is not as crazy as you make it out to be IMHO.

Exactly. Miles is a great character in and of himself and someone had a chance to own art from his original appearance, and the only original art that can ever be made available. That's wild. It's a unique collectible, sky was the limit on this one.

Also, as to the original post, I do agree that it is very sad to see that many have more money than before due to this pandemic while even more are now worse off. The significant wealth gap the US already had has only worsened. All I can say is I'm glad I had bought similar assets in the past, even though they were simply for my enjoyment rather than seen as investments.

56 minutes ago, Shin-Kaiser said:

... you're contradicting yourself here...

I think Peter G is gleefully mocking the absurdity of that valuation. Not to say it won’t get there. This is some run of crazy we’re all on right now.

Just before posting this I watched a bus driver on YouTube trying to fend off a passenger while steering a racing bus. The speeding 🚌 suddenly veers Sharp left and then up over a rail to plunge into the Yangtze River.

We were cruising along at safe speed before March 2020. How this ends feels certain but when? is a whole other ball of wax.

I think that you are partially seeing the impact of a “sea change” in economics and management of the economy. The recessions of 2009 and 2020 were fundamentally different than earlier ones. In classic recessions, the economy would contract, usually for 2-3 economic quarters, and then show a strong bounce back. Not the last two. Instead, you had a very slow bounce back taking years to develop real steam from 2009. The 2020 recession was very stratified, with some groups doing horribly and others doing reasonably well. Since some groups, the upper end, did well, they could defy economic gravity and keep prices high on stuff that isn’t exactly a necessity (my apologies to the addicted, but that is the truth).
Which brings me to the subject at hand. To the extent OA was purchased as a hobby by the upper financial strata, they won’t need to sell if the next recession behaves like the last two. Only in a “classic” form of recession where the pain is spread more equally will that happen. So instead, pricing will, at worst, freeze as sales slow down. Where pricing will take a hit is when the collector class or its heirs want to unload, and if the unloading takes place at the same rough period of time (in years), while interest in comics among the population declines as does discretionary income due to high housing prices, student loans, children, etc.

9 hours ago, comicinkking.com said:

I posted this comment on the Facebook discussion about this and reposting here.  Mark Morales has been around for a decade. So while he’s “hot” now (I guess) he’s not exactly Peter Parker. I’ve been collecting comic art for over 15 years and I don’t recall so much significance being placed on a “first appearance”. The best selling comic art has typically been what many consider to be iconic books of the genre. Is this book one of them? I don’t know - never read it (but I doubt it). There’s been a trend in OA collecting which is that a lot of comic book collectors transition into the original art market, and they bring with them some of the book collector mentality (e.g., first appearances). And while it’s entirely possible that the market is heading in that direction, I doubt that too. My .02.

Did you read the article? The previous two records for the highest selling comic art were both first appearances of both Wolverine and X-23. Both iconic books.

Yes, this high selling art is from an iconic book. Obviously not iconic to you mind. You seem to be from a generation that can easily disregard Mile Morales, which is absolutely fine. Comics and comic culture is moving on from your golden age though, this sale is a sure sign of that. Miles Morales has his own video game. I'm guessing you haven't played it, but I wonder how many younger than you have?

I bought a sticker book for my son a few months ago, it reminded me of my first exposure to Marvel which was a Secret Wars Sticker book back in the day. I noticed though that Spider-Man (Peter Parker), Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen had equal prominence throughout the book. As far as my son knows, these 3 characters have existed together since day one. As we age and the comic art market matures, it will change. I wonder what comic issues and art my sons generation will consider key. I'm guessing it will be wildly different from your 2 cents