Mark Bagley's Miles Morales Spider-Man Cover Art Sells for $225,000
2 2

128 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Shin-Kaiser said:

I've been holding back from posting this but now I can't resist!

I must admit, I love your sense of humour! :bigsmile:

Awww thanks 🥰🥰🥰🥰

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, comicinkking.com said:

I posted this comment on the Facebook discussion about this and reposting here.  Mark Morales has been around for a decade. So while he’s “hot” now (I guess) he’s not exactly Peter Parker. I’ve been collecting comic art for over 15 years and I don’t recall so much significance being placed on a “first appearance”. The best selling comic art has typically been what many consider to be iconic books of the genre. Is this book one of them? I don’t know - never read it (but I doubt it). There’s been a trend in OA collecting which is that a lot of comic book collectors transition into the original art market, and they bring with them some of the book collector mentality (e.g., first appearances). And while it’s entirely possible that the market is heading in that direction, I doubt that too. My .02.

We really live in an interesting time in which the present defines the future and the past is to be escaped - but IF we live long enough - we might be able to see value more clearly

(of course, after the impending deluge) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Peter G said:

Petition your overlord to cancel us 

I actually don’t believe in cancel culture. But c’mon, “diversity is fashionable?” Since when? 2011? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, John E. said:

I actually don’t believe in cancel culture. But c’mon, “diversity is fashionable?” Since when? 2011? 

Actually, the idea of championing diversity ebbs and flows in American history going back to at least the 1960s and maybe even further. Not sure what the significance of 2011 is in your mind but my comment was merely a reflection of the overriding significance that many people seem to place on it nowadays, to the detriment of other principles. Cycles ebb abs flow like fashion. Nothing new under the sun.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shin-Kaiser said:

Did you read the article? The previous two records for the highest selling comic art were both first appearances of both Wolverine and X-23. Both iconic books.

Yes, this high selling art is from an iconic book. Obviously not iconic to you mind. You seem to be from a generation that can easily disregard Mile Morales, which is absolutely fine. Comics and comic culture is moving on from your golden age though, this sale is a sure sign of that. Miles Morales has his own video game. I'm guessing you haven't played it, but I wonder how many younger than you have?

 I bought a sticker book for my son a few months ago, it reminded me of my first exposure to Marvel which was a Secret Wars Sticker book back in the day. I noticed though that Spider-Man (Peter Parker), Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen had equal prominence throughout the book. As far as my son knows, these 3 characters have existed together since day one. As we age and the comic art market matures, it will change. I wonder what comic issues and art my sons generation will consider key. I'm guessing it will be wildly different from your 2 cents

I think what surprises me (other than the obvious) is the speed of ratcheting up the value of a first appearance.  I think it has usually taken decades for a piece of art to be lifted to this level based on a character's appearance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Peter G said:

Actually, the idea of championing diversity ebbs and flows in American history going back to at least the 1960s and maybe even further. Not sure what the significance of 2011 is in your mind but my comment was merely a reflection of the overriding significance that many people seem to place on it nowadays, to the detriment of other principles. Cycles ebb abs flow like fashion. Nothing new under the sun.

That was my point, that diversity is nothing new and the “idea of championing diversity... [goes] back...further” than an arbitrary year like 2011. There we have common ground. 
 

As I mentioned before, the popularity of Miles Morales...and the prices paid for his first appearance...and the first appearance of other “diverse” characters like Silk (as we watch unfold) and Spider-Gwen, has more to do with being Spider-Man or Spider-something, more than diversity. Because, I believe, if the premise was true, we’d see some Pearl-clutching uptick cash-grab in characters like John Stewart or Baz Something-something (“Black” Green Lanterns) or Totally Awesome Hulk Amadeus Cho. But we don’t see it. I tend to believe the lowest-common denominator of an answer which has to their association with Spider-man. 
 

(I will add, that Miles Morales is well-developed, likable character with a great-looking costume, so it’s just not the Spider-factor, but an array of other reasons that adds to his popularity.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, John E. said:

That was my point, that diversity is nothing new and the “idea of championing diversity... [goes] back...further” than an arbitrary year like 2011. There we have common ground. 
 

As I mentioned before, the popularity of Miles Morales...and the prices paid for his first appearance...and the first appearance of other “diverse” characters like Silk (as we watch unfold) and Spider-Gwen, has more to do with being Spider-Man or Spider-something, more than diversity. Because, I believe, if the premise was true, we’d see some Pearl-clutching uptick cash-grab in characters like John Stewart or Baz Something-something (“Black” Green Lanterns) or Totally Awesome Hulk Amadeus Cho. But we don’t see it. I tend to believe the lowest-common denominator of an answer which has to their association with Spider-man. 
 

(I will add, that Miles Morales is well-developed, likable character with a great-looking costume, so it’s just not the Spider-factor, but an array of other reasons that adds to his popularity.)

I think we are more in common agreement than you would think. I suppose our disagreement comes down to valuation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, comicinkking.com said:

I posted this comment on the Facebook discussion about this and reposting here.  Mark Morales has been around for a decade. So while he’s “hot” now (I guess) he’s not exactly Peter Parker. I’ve been collecting comic art for over 15 years and I don’t recall so much significance being placed on a “first appearance”. The best selling comic art has typically been what many consider to be iconic books of the genre. Is this book one of them? I don’t know - never read it (but I doubt it). There’s been a trend in OA collecting which is that a lot of comic book collectors transition into the original art market, and they bring with them some of the book collector mentality (e.g., first appearances). And while it’s entirely possible that the market is heading in that direction, I doubt that too. My .02.

I collected comics for decades before moving on to comic art, like many others.  The first appearance of a character was always a hot book and most desired.  Overstreet and CGC labels list this information because it is significant.  It is easy to see this idea and valuation translate to comic art.  

Regarding Miles Morales, his first appearance in a throwaway Marvel Previews magazine is now considered by some as his first appearance, and a slabbed copy just sold for $10,000.  They are going for a lot of money nowadays.  

4 hours ago, Shin-Kaiser said:

Did you read the article? The previous two records for the highest selling comic art were both first appearances of both Wolverine and X-23. Both iconic books.

Yes, this high selling art is from an iconic book. Obviously not iconic to you mind. You seem to be from a generation that can easily disregard Mile Morales, which is absolutely fine. Comics and comic culture is moving on from your golden age though, this sale is a sure sign of that. Miles Morales has his own video game. I'm guessing you haven't played it, but I wonder how many younger than you have?

 I bought a sticker book for my son a few months ago, it reminded me of my first exposure to Marvel which was a Secret Wars Sticker book back in the day. I noticed though that Spider-Man (Peter Parker), Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen had equal prominence throughout the book. As far as my son knows, these 3 characters have existed together since day one. As we age and the comic art market matures, it will change. I wonder what comic issues and art my sons generation will consider key. I'm guessing it will be wildly different from your 2 cents

I agree with Shin-Kaiser.  I buy art that I like but I notice what my kid thinks, and that now helps to inform my buying decisions.  Miles Morales was the star of his own Oscar winning film.  Miles is the lead story in an anthology children's book of Marvel origins that my kid has.   My kid also got the lego Miles Morales Mech armor kit, along with the Iron Man and Captain America ones.  Miles is featured in the Marvel Adventures comics for kids, while Peter is just a side character.  I don't think my kid is a particular Miles Morales fan, but this is what there is in the marketplace and this is probably going to be his Spider-man growing up.  I haven't invested in any Miles Morales stuff just because we like other stuff more, but I don't see this as a "diversity" fad.  

I do have some art (for fun) that I bought purely for aesthetic reasons.  But if I wanted fine art I would be buying at Heritage's fine art auction or loading up on some Pre-Raphelite art or something like that.  The extra sizzle on the comic art does come from its association with the characters and the books.  I like the Golden Age and the Bronze age too, but the artists alone or the art alone from purely aesthetic reasons will be outpaced eventually by the characters.  For the lifespan that my kid and I are keeping our art, I will pick a cool first appearance from Teen Titans Go over good Marvel Bronze age artist any day, especially at current valuations. 

I hope everyone here embraces golden age and thinking so I will have more buying opportunities.  It may be that Alan Scott will be Green Lantern again so it is better to hold on to the past and not look at what is changing in the world.

Edited by Peter L
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Peter G said:

Actually, the idea of championing diversity ebbs and flows in American history going back to at least the 1960s 

Actually diversity became fashionable in the 1940s.  Why?  Because the US was fighting Nazi Germany, and needed to demonstrate some moral superiority.  This continued with the Cold War after WWII, when the US was engaged in a global idealogical struggle with Communism, and again needed to demonstrate moral superiority.  Racism and discrimination just became an embarrassment.  See for example Sam Fuller's The Steel Helmet, where the North Korean Communist is asking black GI James Edwards why he's fighting for a country that won't allow him to ride in the front of the bus.

A bit more relevant to the post, Into The Spiderverse is the first superhero film I've seen that isn't pitched at the 45-55 year old demographic.  Not a surprise if some see it as the future of the genre.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bronty said:

^ speaking of OA I’d love to own! 

Ah crud.   Appears to be collage 

377476E8-EF50-4FD2-9A4C-31EBDE89CD61.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Taylor G said:

A bit more relevant to the post, Into The Spiderverse is the first superhero film I've seen that isn't pitched at the 45-55 year old demographic.  Not a surprise if some see it as the future of the genre.  

This. I think going forward Miles will be a more significant comics character than either Deadpool or Harley Quinn.

He's *already* more significant than alternate characters like Tim Drake, Kyle Rayner, or X-23.

And for reference, I own New Mutants 98 and Batman Adventures 12. I don't own Ultimate Fall-Out 4.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Matches_Malone said:

Silk is not  a prominent character.  Whats the over-under on this one?  

image.thumb.png.f86d15a360f1a29acbffaf8c055ecee1.png

I believe she is confirmed for Into the Spider-Verse 2 and there has been discussion / rumors of a live-action show or movie. I agree with the assessment of $50-60k. I have no idea how to value it, but based on bidding a piece usually doubles its last day. I wouldn't expect there to be too much more bidding action before the last day.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2