• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark Bagley's Miles Morales Spider-Man Cover Art Sells for $225,000
1 1

127 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, comicinkking.com said:

"I think you’re starting with the idea that you don’t like first appearance art being highly valued"

How about I say what I think, and you say what you think.  Instead of you saying what you think I think. :)

How about you ask some better questions then instead of needing to be babysat through the painfully obvious?

3 hours ago, comicinkking.com said:

Time will tell, but I think of comics as an art form like jazz, film, or great novels.  Instead of pointing to things that fell out of favor (like Alger), why not focus on the things that have had lasting cultural significance?  Shakespeare, Mozart, Van Gogh....   

Or minstrel shows? Art forms also fall out of favor too when their subjects are by-passed by the march of history, economics or taste. Comics are geared to popular culture, and consumed in a disposable manner, much like newsprint, at a comparatively high cost. Their art prices are substantially a function of nostalgia. The artists you have mentioned are in forms of art that remain popular, and generally obtainable (even if in duplicate form like a print). And as to the subject matters, do you honestly compare the pages of a comic book run by an artist to, oh, Taming of the Shrew? Starry Night?

4 hours ago, comicinkking.com said:

Time will tell, but I think of comics as an art form like jazz, film, or great novels.  Instead of pointing to things that fell out of favor (like Alger), why not focus on the things that have had lasting cultural significance?  Shakespeare, Mozart, Van Gogh....   

A hundred years from now, I expect that motion pictures will be regarded as one of the great art forms of the twentieth century, films like The Searchers, Citizen Kane and Vertigo will be regarded as great works of art, films that tell stories of the human condition, and people like John Ford and Alfred Hitchcock will be regarded as some of the great artists of the last century.

How much of comic book storytelling rises to that level?  Maybe O. Henry is a better literary analogy than Horatio Alger, it doesn't have to be great literature, but some of it can rise to the level of memorable short stories.  Another analogy is with film noir: No one is comparing this with great literature, these films were made for cheap thrills, but there's an aesthetic to them that has influenced film makers down to the present day, there will be some that will be regarded as significant works of art (Double Indemnity?  Chinatown?), and meanwhile noir will hopefully always have its "cult" audience that sees to it that we don't lose these films to neglect.

22 minutes ago, Taylor G said:

A hundred years from now, I expect that motion pictures will be regarded as one of the great art forms of the twentieth century, films like The Searchers, Citizen Kane and Vertigo will be regarded as great works of art, films that tell stories of the human condition, and people like John Ford and Alfred Hitchcock will be regarded as some of the great artists of the last century.

How much of comic book storytelling rises to that level?  Maybe O. Henry is a better literary analogy than Horatio Alger, it doesn't have to be great literature, but some of it can rise to the level of memorable short stories.  Another analogy is with film noir: No one is comparing this with great literature, these films were made for cheap thrills, but there's an aesthetic to them that has influenced film makers down to the present day, there will be some that will be regarded as significant works of art (Double Indemnity?  Chinatown?), and meanwhile noir will hopefully always have its "cult" audience that sees to it that we don't lose these films to neglect.

But people will still be watching movies in the next century, just like they are reading novels since the days of Robinson Crusoe. Superhero comics, or any comics, I have my doubts. And pages from specific story lines in comics?

I don't know of anyone who picks up O'Henry and casually reads it (although we sometimes hear the repeated tales, and people probably buy them). Maybe some literature students, or suffering college/high school students. 

Thoughts?

Mixed among this story and the rumours I was hearing b4 the sale was public - seems to be a conversation associated with Bitcoin. So I don’t know if it’s a rumour it was paid in Bitcoin or just mediocre reporting associating the two. But seems to be if paying in Bitcoin for larger purchases become a thing or a stipulation by seller that it gets paid in Bitcoin. Seems to me a factor in this deal could be if the seller got paid in Bitcoin then it’s a big plus because if the got almost 6 Bitcoin for it, it’s already worth significantly more than that.

hmmmm?

b

Edited by brettfes

On 2/14/2021 at 3:22 PM, Varanis said:

I believe she is confirmed for Into the Spider-Verse 2 and there has been discussion / rumors of a live-action show or movie. I agree with the assessment of $50-60k. I have no idea how to value it, but based on bidding a piece usually doubles its last day. I wouldn't expect there to be too much more bidding action before the last day.

https://www.cbr.com/spider-man-spinoff-silk-sabrina-lead-showrunner-amazon/
Sony and Amazon's Silk TV show has landed a showrunner, and producers Lord and Miller are eyeing a Chilling Adventures of Sabrina actor for the lead.

On 2/18/2021 at 4:22 AM, Rick2you2 said:

But people will still be watching movies in the next century, just like they are reading novels since the days of Robinson Crusoe. Superhero comics, or any comics, I have my doubts. And pages from specific story lines in comics?

I don't know of anyone who picks up O'Henry and casually reads it (although we sometimes hear the repeated tales, and people probably buy them). Maybe some literature students, or suffering college/high school students. 

If Marvel owns the property, they will be leveraging it through merchandise and toys and films and shows until their copyright and trademark protections expire.  They will be generating entertainment for kids for decades based on these, as long as they continue to sell.  

I would expect Marvel's next series of X-Men films and upcoming Fantastic Four films with a new cast will propel those characters for the 2030s-2040s.  I expect more Disney park rides and merchandise for the kids during those years will increase visibility.  O'Henry and western comics don't have the most powerful children's entertainment complex in the world promoting the characters like Disney has with Marvel.  I just saw a question on a Disney blog, "Would you wait eight hours to shop at the Downtown Disney Star Wars store?"  That is the current wait time.  People want the stuff Disney is selling.

When I read my kid's children's books on Miles Morales Spider-Man, when the character is questioned, he always replies "I am Spider-man!" even to Peter Parker objecting.  Miles is going to be Spider-Man for this generation.  

Totally agree. I am curious if sentiment has changed at all given a Carnage alternate cover and Silk cover both just sold at big prices ($57k and $64k if I’m not mistaken). 

In my mind, this reestablished a new floor for key modern pieces.