• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

are sales slowing down on the boards?
9 9

197 posts in this topic

I don't have access to the data but I feel like there's been a gradual slowing of selling of GA material, particularly key and/or significant books, in the golden/silver/bronze age forum.  I'm curious to know if other members have noticed this, or perhaps it's just my perception and I'm incorrect.  I thought with the proliferation of instagram, fb and all the other sale outlets, there are just too many places to sell books.  Personally, I love buying off the boards so I rather see it in increase than decrease.  That said, I'm not finding as much to buy as I did say a year ago.  Thoughts?

4 hours ago, Spyder! said:

I will say, that since ricksneatstuff stopped doing sales threads, it’s not quite the same. He had a lot of great sales.

I agree with this! 

Rick's sales thread are sorely missed around here.  He brought allot of unique buying opportunities to the boards at really reasonable prices. Great guy to work with. 

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

I stopped selling on the boards due to the selling rules not allowing cash discounts. I want to offer my customers the 3% discount instead of giving it to PayPal. So I only sell on IG now. No policing or restrictions and way more active 

That's disappointing!

If the trend continues, I'll need to get a IG account. I've been a social media hold out and don't even really know where to start. 

I always sell here before anywhere else. Where in the rules does it say you cannot offer a cash discount? I know Paypal Friends and Family is not allowed for various reasons but the seller should be able to offer any discount desired.  Maybe the rule is a holdover for when offering a cash discount violated the merchant credit card agreements. That is no longer the case, merchants can offer discounts for cash to discourage credit cards, so maybe the rule should be eliminated?

13 minutes ago, Badger said:

I always sell here before anywhere else. Where in the rules does it say you cannot offer a cash discount? I know Paypal Friends and Family is not allowed for various reasons but the seller should be able to offer any discount desired.  Maybe the rule is a holdover for when offering a cash discount violated the merchant credit card agreements. That is no longer the case, merchants can offer discounts for cash to discourage credit cards, so maybe the rule should be eliminated?

It’s rule 10 or 11 I think. I had a sales thread pulled for offering a cash discount 

9 minutes ago, circumstances said:

why did rick stop his sales threads.

He has a relationship with Heritage.

3 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I stopped selling on the boards due to the selling rules not allowing cash discounts. I want to offer my customers the 3% discount instead of giving it to PayPal. So I only sell on IG now. No policing or restrictions and way more active 

what's your IG? :foryou:

26 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

It’s rule 10 or 11 I think. I had a sales thread pulled for offering a cash discount 

10) You cannot post in a way that violates the terms of service for your payment methods. (NOTE: Specifically, no surcharges for accepting PayPal, or discounts for other methods)

Hmm, seems like a simple misunderstanding of the "Durben Rule" Basically, the seller cannot charge more than the listed price but can offer a discount.

Amazing Spider-Man #101 VG $250 unless via PayPal or credit card and then add 3%.  This is not allowed because you are charging more at the register/check out method than the listed price.

Instead use:

Amazing Spider-Man #101 VG $257.50 via Paypal/ $250 money order/check. This is allowed in all merchant credit card agreements and is enforced by law through U.S.C. §1602(r).  If you wish to offer a cash discount it must be a true discount of the listed price and not an increase of the listed price to cover credit card fees.

Basically, the boards have not been doing this right for 11 years.

Edited by Badger

9 minutes ago, Badger said:

10) You cannot post in a way that violates the terms of service for your payment methods. (NOTE: Specifically, no surcharges for accepting PayPal, or discounts for other methods)

Hmm, seems like a simple misunderstanding of the "Durben Rule" Basically, the seller cannot charge more than the listed price but can offer a discount.

Amazing Spider-Man #101 VG $250 unless via PayPal or credit card and then add 3%.  This is not allowed because you are charging more at the register/check out method than the listed price.

Instead use:

Amazing Spider-Man #101 VG $257.50 via Paypal/ $250 money order/check. This is allowed in all merchant credit card agreements and is enforced by law through U.S.C. §1602(r).  If you wish to offer a cash discount it must be a true discount of the listed price and not an increase of the listed price to cover credit card fees.

Basically, the boards have not been doing this right for 11 years.

That’s pretty much how I listed and it was taken down for violation

it was $5000 via PayPal or cc or 4850 if cash/check

Edited by G.A.tor

11 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

That’s pretty much how I listed and it was taken down for violation

it was $5000 via PayPal or cc or 4850 if cash/check

If this was later than 2010 then it did not violate your vendor credit card agreements or Paypal. You were not in violation of rule 10. I wonder how we get rule 10 scrapped or reinterpreted.?