• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

are sales slowing down on the boards?
9 9

197 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Badger said:

If this was later than 2010 then it did not violate your vendor credit card agreements or Paypal. You were not in violation of rule 10. I wonder how we get rule 10 scrapped or reinterpreted.? 

It was in April of 2020. That’s when I closed down selling here on the boards 

Edited by G.A.tor

9 hours ago, Badger said:

If this was later than 2010 then it did not violate your vendor credit card agreements or Paypal. You were not in violation of rule 10. I wonder how we get rule 10 scrapped or reinterpreted.? 

Pm arch

12 hours ago, Badger said:
12 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

It’s rule 10 or 11 I think. I had a sales thread pulled for offering a cash discount 

10) You cannot post in a way that violates the terms of service for your payment methods. (NOTE: Specifically, no surcharges for accepting PayPal, or discounts for other methods)

Hmm, seems like a simple misunderstanding of the "Durben Rule" Basically, the seller cannot charge more than the listed price but can offer a discount.

Amazing Spider-Man #101 VG $250 unless via PayPal or credit card and then add 3%.  This is not allowed because you are charging more at the register/check out method than the listed price.

Instead use:

Amazing Spider-Man #101 VG $257.50 via Paypal/ $250 money order/check. This is allowed in all merchant credit card agreements and is enforced by law through U.S.C. §1602(r).  If you wish to offer a cash discount it must be a true discount of the listed price and not an increase of the listed price to cover credit card fees.

Basically, the boards have not been doing this right for 11 years.

I was around for the public and private discussions about this.  Arch made these rules based on Paypal's terms of use.

No surcharges

You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

Presentation of PayPal and Pay with Venmo

You must treat PayPal and/or Venmo as payment methods or marks at least on par with any other payment methods offered at your points of sale where PayPal or Venmo branded services are integrated, including your websites or mobile applications. This includes at least equal or better: logo placement, position within any point of sale, and treatment in terms of payment flow, terms, conditions, restrictions, and fees, in each case as compared to other marks and payment methods at your points of sale. Further, you must not present any payment method or mark upstream (or at an earlier point in the checkout experience) from the presentment of any of PayPal or Venmo services or marks.

In representations to your customers or in public communications, you must not mischaracterize any PayPal or Venmo services or exhibit a preference for other payment methods over PayPal or Venmo services. Within all of your points of sale, you agree not to try to dissuade or inhibit your customers from using PayPal or Venmo services or encourage the customer to use an alternate payment method. If you enable your customers to pay you with PayPal or Venmo, whenever you display or exhibit the payment methods that you accept (either within any point of sale or in your marketing materials, advertising, and other customer communications) you agree to display the PayPal or Venmo services payment marks at least as prominently, and in at least as positive a manner, as you do for all other payment methods.

17 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I stopped selling on the boards due to the selling rules not allowing cash discounts. I want to offer my customers the 3% discount instead of giving it to PayPal. So I only sell on IG now. No policing or restrictions and way more active 

PM's seem to be a way to work out a deal.  I am just a little fish and stay away from certain venues. But I watch bigger books often sell here via pm.  I like this site because of the trust, friendships, and knowledge developed here.

17 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I stopped selling on the boards due to the selling rules not allowing cash discounts. I want to offer my customers the 3% discount instead of giving it to PayPal. So I only sell on IG now. No policing or restrictions and way more active 

the problem with instagram for buyers is that no one knows when they'll see your posts anymore. since they ditched the chronological timeline, i've seen your posts up to three days late. now, if you sell the book, then i guess what does it matter. but for buyers, it's certainly not the best place to keep an eye out for tough books. 

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

It was in April of 2020. THATS when I closed down selling here on the boards 

3 hours ago, Funnybooks said:

I wish you would reconsider selling on the boards..:foryou:.I've heard of epic threads in the past...

Only if the cash discount policy is allowed 

33 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

the problem with instagram for buyers is that no one knows when they'll see your posts anymore. since they ditched the chronological timeline, i've seen your posts up to three days late. now, if you sell the book, then i guess what does it matter. but for buyers, it's certainly not the best place to keep an eye out for tough books. 

Weird. I see posts from those I follow when they post. Wasn’t aware there was any posting delays?

2 hours ago, comicdonna said:

I was around for the public and private discussions about this.  Arch made these rules based on Paypal's terms of use.

No surcharges

You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

Presentation of PayPal and Pay with Venmo

You must treat PayPal and/or Venmo as payment methods or marks at least on par with any other payment methods offered at your points of sale where PayPal or Venmo branded services are integrated, including your websites or mobile applications. This includes at least equal or better: logo placement, position within any point of sale, and treatment in terms of payment flow, terms, conditions, restrictions, and fees, in each case as compared to other marks and payment methods at your points of sale. Further, you must not present any payment method or mark upstream (or at an earlier point in the checkout experience) from the presentment of any of PayPal or Venmo services or marks.

In representations to your customers or in public communications, you must not mischaracterize any PayPal or Venmo services or exhibit a preference for other payment methods over PayPal or Venmo services. Within all of your points of sale, you agree not to try to dissuade or inhibit your customers from using PayPal or Venmo services or encourage the customer to use an alternate payment method. If you enable your customers to pay you with PayPal or Venmo, whenever you display or exhibit the payment methods that you accept (either within any point of sale or in your marketing materials, advertising, and other customer communications) you agree to display the PayPal or Venmo services payment marks at least as prominently, and in at least as positive a manner, as you do for all other payment methods.

It says you cannot charge a surcharge which, legally, is a fee added to a stated price. By law, you can still offer a discount which cannot be against the terms of service and if you read carefully you can see that Paypal does not say you cannot discount the price. You just cannot say a preference for any other method of payment. This also means that everyone saying Paypal not accepted for purchases above a certain amount goes against Paypal's terms of service. It is all or nothing. You must treat Paypal the same as cash BUT you can discount the stated price for cash. you just cannot raise the stated price for Paypal at the point of sale. The price at the checkout must be the same as stated, or lower; anything else is a surcharge and against the terms and the law.

Edited by Badger