• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

are sales slowing down on the boards?
9 9

197 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

Only if the cash discount policy is allowed 

1 hour ago, Badger said:

It says you cannot charge a surcharge which, legally, is a fee added to a stated price. By law, you can still offer a discount which cannot be against the terms of service and if you read carefully you can see that Paypal does not say you cannot discount the price. You just cannot say a preference for any other method of payment. This also means that everyone saying Paypal not accepted for purchases above a certain amount goes against Paypal's terms of service. It is all or nothing. You must treat Paypal the same as cash BUT you can discount the stated price for cash. you just cannot raise the stated price for Paypal at the point of sale. The price at the checkout must be the same as stated, or lower; anything else is a surcharge and against the terms and the law.

So, can we call this a revival?

Image result for steel wheels tour

6 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

I’m just a simple retired country barrister but I agree completely. Offering a cash discount is not illegal and I’m not sure why the boards or CGC feels the need to promote PayPal?  Rule should be changed.  I want to see Gators books for sale and I still can’t figure Twitter out so I’m not venturing near Instagram. 

The boards should truly consider being more user friendly or IG and the like will eat their lunch and this may go the way of the dinosaur

15 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

The boards should truly consider being more user friendly or IG and the like will eat their lunch and this may go the way of the dinosaur

+1 as well. Powers that be should take note please. You risk alienating and losing members when rules are too stringent or arbitrary IMO.

Edited by Comical Situations
sp.

6 minutes ago, Comical Situations said:

+1 as well. Powers that be should take note please. You risk alienating and losing members when rules are too stringent or arbitrary IMO.

Even if it's somewhat anectdotal, sales threads and quality of books on these boards have been moving in a negative direction for a couple of years now...once the horse is out of the barn...i.e., other forms of social media, auction houses, etc...well, you know...be proactive...we only have the best interest of the boards and this community at heart

3 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

the problem with instagram for buyers is that no one knows when they'll see your posts anymore. since they ditched the chronological timeline, i've seen your posts up to three days late. now, if you sell the book, then i guess what does it matter. but for buyers, it's certainly not the best place to keep an eye out for tough books. 

There is a way to see @G.A.tor 's  IG posts or anyone for that matter as soon as they post. You can set up an alert for every time he posts, then when you open the alert it will go straight to the user. Neat trick that most younger than us know, I use it from time to time, has worked out well on a few sellers. Some sellers don't post very frequent so they may be best to set up that alert on.

IMG_5753.PNG

Edited by PKJ

1 hour ago, PKJ said:

There is a way to see @G.A.tor 's  IG posts or anyone for that matter as soon as they post. You can set up an alert for every time he posts, then when you open the alert it will go straight to the user. Neat trick that most younger than us know, I use it from time to time, has worked out well on a few sellers. Some sellers don't post very frequent so they may be best to set up that alert on.

IMG_5753.PNG

Thanks!

The quality of offers on the boards has absolutely tanked.  If good items are offered, they're often taken immediately, but that isn't often.  The demand for GA books is insatiable, but that means that fewer and fewer items will be offered due to more collectors holding.  

3 hours ago, Badger said:

I'm not buying from IG. Tried but I found the posting to be confusing and out of order. Facebook is too much like flea markets. Fun for a cheap weekend but I sure as hell am not going to buy the type of books I usually buy there. The rule can stand but it needs to be reinterpreted according to the actual law and terms.

This should be perfectly acceptable:

Amazing Spider-Man #101 vg $257.50 via Paypal/ $250 Money Order/Check.

Trolling the IG platform looking for books to buy is pretty sparse for me. Often a bad picture, no grade or description and "make an offer" just isn't how I spend my money. I know, this is how the younger crowd does it and swears by it. It seems like very few want to take the time to be accurate and through. Like ebay auctions with no returns and "grade by the picture" just turns me off.

4 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Trolling the IG platform looking for books to buy is pretty sparse for me. Often a bad picture, no grade or description and "make an offer" just isn't how I spend my money. I know, this is how the younger crowd does it and swears by it. It seems like very few want to take the time to be accurate and through. Like ebay auctions with no returns and "grade by the picture" just turns me off.

IG is horrible for me.  It's impossible to wade through all the garbage.  It's really a different dynamic.  

1 hour ago, buttock said:

and fewer items will be offered due to more collectors holding.  

How very inconsiderate of them. 

IG is great for simply finding sellers who seem to be listing the stuff you are into - and THEN reaching out to them asking if they have certain issues (keeping the contacts for sales/trades). I don't bother waiting for sales posts as they come up, as those are easy to miss unless you are tracking specific accounts constantly.

However for buying on the spot and fun, IG live claim-fests are THE best thing out there and beats pretty much anything you can find on these or other boards. Just sit back, and watch some comic shop you would otherwise never be able to visit bring out stacks of goodies for sale. Everything negotiable and found them to be a great way to spend a night on comics.