• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

are sales slowing down on the boards?
9 9

197 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

IG is great for simply finding sellers who seem to be listing the stuff you are into - and THEN reaching out to them asking if they have certain issues (keeping the contacts for sales/trades). I don't bother waiting for sales posts as they come up, as those are easy to miss unless you are tracking specific accounts constantly.

However for buying on the spot and fun, IG live claim-fests are THE best thing out there and beats pretty much anything you can find on these or other boards. Just sit back, and watch some comic shop you would otherwise never be able to visit bring out stacks of goodies for sale. Everything negotiable and found them to be a great way to spend a night on comics.

How do you find out the upcoming claim fests?

8 minutes ago, circumstances said:

How do you find out the upcoming claim fests?

While most shops put them on themselves, you won't know of those unless you follow the account already (my LCS does them for example) so the easiest way to do it is to just follow the @elite_comics11 account, since they are the biggest on IG and can facilitate many of these from across the world. They will advertise them on their feed well in advance, several times over and once it starts its just a click to join the live feed (and chat room, where you can ask questions / requests and make offers as things come up).

3 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

While most shops put them on themselves, you won't know of those unless you follow the account already (my LCS does them for example) so the easiest way to do it is to just follow the @elite_comics11 account, since they are the biggest on IG and can facilitate many of these from across the world. They will advertise them on their feed well in advance, several times over and once it starts its just a click to join the live feed (and chat room, where you can ask questions / requests and make offers as things come up).

Thank you, sir!

Just now, circumstances said:

Thank you, sir!

No worries. It can get very overwhelming at first, in fact I just recommend popping into one of their claim events just to watch and get used to it (that's what I did the first time. Didn't buy anything until the next event...and then my wallet was destroyed)

7 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

No worries. It can get very overwhelming at first, in fact I just recommend popping into one of their claim events just to watch and get used to it (that's what I did the first time. Didn't buy anything until the next event...and then my wallet was destroyed)

I just checked it out. I checked their IGTV and I guess it was rerunning yesterday's claimfest, so I couldn't really figure out how everything would work, lol.

Just from the pics, I didn't see much gold, and no early gold (which is all I'd be interested in).

2 minutes ago, circumstances said:

I just checked it out. I checked their IGTV and I guess it was rerunning yesterday's claimfest, so I couldn't really figure out how everything would work, lol.

Just from the pics, I didn't see much gold, and no early gold (which is all I'd be interested in).

They are not the only game in town, but they have so many different dealers partner with them you tend to see all types of books. As mentioned they will tag the upcoming dealers and you can connect with them if you wanted in advance.

If it is all new stuff I will watch for a minute and leave. There are some big dealers on there for GA, Danielle did a live sale a few weeks back and had plenty to offer. Some of the sellers will even take requests if the items are not moving. I now own some Rick And Morty comics I never knew I needed from getting wrapped up in a claim fest.

12 minutes ago, PKJ said:

They are not the only game in town, but they have so many different dealers partner with them you tend to see all types of books. As mentioned they will tag the upcoming dealers and you can connect with them if you wanted in advance.

If it is all new stuff I will watch for a minute and leave. There are some big dealers on there for GA, Danielle did a live sale a few weeks back and had plenty to offer. Some of the sellers will even take requests if the items are not moving. I now own some Rick And Morty comics I never knew I needed from getting wrapped up in a claim fest.

good to know!

sings *a whole new world* from aladdin.

14 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Only if the cash discount policy is allowed 

Why not just accept checks? 

If I have books to sell (especially high dollar) the boards are my first, and preferred way to go. It's of tremendous advantage to me as I'm not paying the 20% auction fees. And the buyer is not paying any fees or immediate tax. I assume all of the same people looking at the auction houses, etc. are also here on these boards. So I'm reaching a large audience. Probably all of the comic guys around for the most part. The people here are knowledgeable, and will be quick to call out any b.s. to keep things legit and in line.

I hate the 3% rule as well. And had my last sales thread pulled, because I didn't know any better at the time. So the next time I'm just going to ask for checks. I'm old enough to remember sending checks was the only way to buy something off eBay, or these boards. It takes a little longer, but it avoids the stupid fees which I refuse to pay. I'll gladly pass that 3% through to my buyer in the form of free shipping, discounts, etc. Just as long as some third party isn't getting it. 

But if the question is between selling on Instagram or the boards? I'll take the boards plus check payment any day. I have to believe it reaches far more of the buyers one is looking for. Are guys looking on Instagram for comics? I never have.

14 hours ago, buttock said:The demand for GA books is insatiable, but that means that fewer and fewer items will be offered due to more collectors holding.  

I think this, in the context of a hot market across all eras of comics (as well as OA) is what we’re experiencing anecdotally.
Related observations: I see Copper/Modern picking up; used to be you could open a thread there and not slide off page 1 for days, now that is only true in Mixed. When more common, more recent material is as hot as it is, there’s an impetus to focus on offering that stuff first and thereby putting aside more dry powder for the choice, scarce older stuff we all want more of.

But a result of that is everyone is hungry for that Golden Age thread to show up and is armed to the teeth to buy because they have busily unloaded everything from Star Wars 1 to She-Hulk 1 to modern variants to previews publications that precede in-continuity true first appearances.

I also notice high-grade silver is coming up, and we’re even seeing full-time dealer boardies doing the buying — which is great, but I think it also speaks to the hotness of the market. 

At a time when there’s strong interest and desire for most material, I guess I’m not surprised that people who sell are least focused on moving the most difficult-to-replace items. 

These are my anecdotal observations of the boards’ sales ebb and flow recently.

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Cash can be in the form of checks or wire etc., it’s basically saying “fee free” payment method.  But some folks don’t have “cash” at time and need to use PayPal/credit cards , so to restrict to just cash/checks can remove/alienate potential buyers as well 

as a seller I’m interested in my “net” but don’t want to restrict any pool of buyers 

And we shouldn't restrict the options, as people prefer various payment methods, despite additional charges.  I'm leery about sending a cheque across the border, and bank fees for international wire transfers can be high. If I'm selling/buying from a fellow Canuckle, an e-transfer (i.e. wire transfer in Canada) is relatively cheap and embedded in your monthly bank fees depending on the plan you've set up with your bank.

I also am for expanding the sales options on here.  Viewing G.A.tor's (and others) epic sales threads were quite enjoyable. Irving's idea about livestream auctions/sales? :golfclap:We've got some awesome Boardies on here who wish to sell some amazing books but have lessened/stopped selling because of what's been mentioned.  The time for revisions is ripe ... 

I too have jumped to IG recently. I can be followed at @polonskycc . While all issues mentioned apply to some degree, the main reason I sell there more is the activity there. There is SO much and it is very active. There is a very strong and growing community. I do love selling on the boards, but I have been having a great time on IG. For example: my last thread offered here was about 100k in very rare and desirable GA books. I got some attention and some offers, but no sales. I started IG a few days later, and within my first 12 hours there sold almost everything from that last thread. The action is unreal, and if you have not checked it out, you need to. There are some  amazing people and collections there, and I have found many fellow boardies as well. I am still relatively new to IG, but would be happy to answer any questions people have about how to use it. It is a lot at first. I do still have love for the boards, and hope to see great threads in the future, but there is a reason for a lack of them as I see other dealers have jumped as well. 

I had a sales thread removed less than a month ago for the same reason...got a warning with the note of "Saying fees are at buyers expense, and offering a discount for feeless payment!"...

I didn't care for the exclamation mark... For the record, I didn't say "fees are at buyers expense", I just offered a discount for check...but I suppose the inverse of those terms can be inferred.

Edited by Callaway29