• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

are sales slowing down on the boards?
9 9

197 posts in this topic

Just now, Callaway29 said:

I had a sales thread removed less than a month ago for the same reason...got a warning with the note of "Saying fees are at buyers expense, and offering a discount for feeless payment!"...

I didn't care for the exclamation mark... For the record, I didn't say "fees are at buyers expense", I just offered a discount for check...but I suppose the inverse of those terms can be inferred.

Maybe a Mod or someone in the know can explain the rationale so that we may have a better understanding...

49 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I just went and made my first and last trip to Instagram. I found my 2 books from when you were still selling off the boards!

B25E87A7-2833-4C0D-8184-7A4AF2D14BB8.png

the good ole days lol

12 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

I had a sales thread removed less than a month ago for the same reason...got a warning with the note of "Saying fees are at buyers expense, and offering a discount for feeless payment!"...

I didn't care for the exclamation mark... For the record, I didn't say "fees are at buyers expense", I just offered a discount for check...but I suppose the inverse of those terms can be inferred.

its the way business has been done forever, not sure why cgc doesn't allow, but as mentioned, its the sole reason I am not selling here

I mean, why wouldn't a community want to help its members...by giving the "discount" to the cgc board member versus giving to paypal seems like a good thing to me?

Edited by G.A.tor

18 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

its the way business has been done forever, not sure why cgc doesn't allow, but as mentioned, its the sole reason I am not selling here

I mean, why wouldn't a community want to help its members...by giving the "discount" to the cgc board member versus giving to paypal seems like a good thing to me?

CGC provides us this free service, which I like (a lot!), but the benefit to them is pretty indirect.  Increased slabbing, is all I can figure. 

But this policy weakens the value of the Boards to me. I can't believe CGC would benefit by making people find other comics forums.

2 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

CGC provides us this free service, which I like (a lot!), but the benefit to them is pretty indirect.  Increased slabbing, is all I can figure. 

But this policy weakens the value of the Boards to me. I can't believe CGC would benefit by making people find other comics forums.

I imagine part of the benefit in addition to what you stated is community engagement which propels the hobby which propels buying and selling which benefits Cgc brand and bottom line in the end...I'm going to move towards IG and join the future of this hobby...

18 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

There's another benefit -- this site is also the repository of a wealth of user-created knowledge about the hobby. I forget exactly how I first heard it expressed, but the saying was something very much like, "If the website is free, you are the product." While CGC does not directly monetize the user-created content, its existence is a huge benefit to the hobby in general. It's a win-win as we all benefit from free usage even as we help create the robust content (via dialogue amongst knowledgeable collectors and dealers) on an ongoing basis. 

Easy enough question, difficult answer.  So many variables, most of which have already been brought up in this thread (other platforms, rules, hot market, pandemic, etc.).  One additional consideration (apologies if someone else already brought this up and I missed it), but for those who have been dealing for a LONG time, historically speaking sales (volume) are generally slower in Jan/Feb, not the slowest months, but definitely not the 'hot season' for volume.  

1 hour ago, Readcomix said:

There's another benefit -- this site is also the repository of a wealth of user-created knowledge about the hobby. I forget exactly how I first heard it expressed, but the saying was something very much like, "If the website is free, you are the product." While CGC does not directly monetize the user-created content, its existence is a huge benefit to the hobby in general. It's a win-win as we all benefit from free usage even as we help create the robust content (via dialogue amongst knowledgeable collectors and dealers) on an ongoing basis. 

Absolutely.  It's crazy how easy it is for a new collector to learn about the hobby compared to how I had to do it back in the prehistoric ages.  

3 hours ago, Funnybooks said:

Maybe a Mod or someone in the know can explain the rationale so that we may have a better understanding...

Would be nice. The language used does have to be exact to be in compliance with terms and the law. You cannot say, "Cash preferred.", because that markets cash options as preferable to credit card.  You can say, according to all terms and the law, $257.50 Paypal/$250 cash. All payment methods must be listed as equal in preference. You cannot charge a surcharge, an additional fee on top of a stated price, for credit or Paypal sales but you can give a discount for checks/money orders. You just cannot make an effort to point it out. Weird but true.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Would be nice. The language used does have to be exact to be in compliance with terms and the law. You cannot say, "Cash preferred.", because that markets cash options as preferable to credit card.  You can say, according to all terms and the law, $257.50 Paypal/$250 cash. All payment methods must be listed as equal in preference. You cannot charge a surcharge, an additional fee on top of a stated price, for credit or Paypal sales but you can give a discount for checks/money orders. You just cannot make an effort to point it out. Weird but true.

yes...any Mod takers?

On 2/15/2021 at 8:56 AM, Polonsky said:

I too have jumped to IG recently. I can be followed at @polonskycc . While all issues mentioned apply to some degree, the main reason I sell there more is the activity there. There is SO much and it is very active. There is a very strong and growing community. I do love selling on the boards, but I have been having a great time on IG. For example: my last thread offered here was about 100k in very rare and desirable GA books. I got some attention and some offers, but no sales. I started IG a few days later, and within my first 12 hours there sold almost everything from that last thread. The action is unreal, and if you have not checked it out, you need to. There are some  amazing people and collections there, and I have found many fellow boardies as well. I am still relatively new to IG, but would be happy to answer any questions people have about how to use it. It is a lot at first. I do still have love for the boards, and hope to see great threads in the future, but there is a reason for a lack of them as I see other dealers have jumped as well. 

Man, you have some killer books for sale :)

On 2/15/2021 at 9:56 AM, Polonsky said:

I too have jumped to IG recently. I can be followed at @polonskycc . While all issues mentioned apply to some degree, the main reason I sell there more is the activity there. There is SO much and it is very active. There is a very strong and growing community. I do love selling on the boards, but I have been having a great time on IG. For example: my last thread offered here was about 100k in very rare and desirable GA books. I got some attention and some offers, but no sales. I started IG a few days later, and within my first 12 hours there sold almost everything from that last thread. The action is unreal, and if you have not checked it out, you need to. There are some  amazing people and collections there, and I have found many fellow boardies as well. I am still relatively new to IG, but would be happy to answer any questions people have about how to use it. It is a lot at first. I do still have love for the boards, and hope to see great threads in the future, but there is a reason for a lack of them as I see other dealers have jumped as well. 

That was a very nice sales thread! 

You are not the first seller who found a more receptive audience on other venues and it sounds like Instagram is now among them.  

20 hours ago, Silver_Couch_Surfer said:

Man, you have some killer books for sale :)

19 hours ago, adamstrange said:

That was a very nice sales thread! 

You are not the first seller who found a more receptive audience on other venues and it sounds like Instagram is now among them.  

Thank you very much you two! I do understand that selling anything, especially books like this require many variables for a sale to occur. I might go to the world's largest show with every collector present, and not sell 'book x'. I might then go to a dinner, and sit next to a stranger, and through conversation end up selling 'book x' to him. There is always some randomness and luck involved in these sales regardless how you slice it. I have tried a few books here, and then on IG, and have found IG to be a much more active marketplace in every trial. As a dealer, I have to follow the more active market. I have been very pleased to find many Boardies there, and more I'm finding every day. It's like when you bump into a friend at the airport, times ten.

I do urge anyone that has not made an IG account to do so, and poke your heads in. It does not mean you have to leave the boards at all. Both can exist, and I think each has its own pros and cons. I think the Boards provide a far superior outlet to come and have a conversation with multiple people, in threads just like this in the Golden age section, or any section. IG, from what I've seen, just doesn't have large open chat rooms like this. There are so many on the Boards, and are full of great conversation, and priceless information. IG has a far superior marketplace, at least as of 2/21. The way you connect and follow people and can always see all of their pictures creates something the Boards does not have. Here, you can go and see every post and activity everyone has done, but it is not as easy and clean of a process. On IG, you click on the person, and you can see every picture they ever posted all right there. You can quickly determine who you want to follow, and also how you want to follow them. It seems I have made as many friends on my first 3 weeks on IG, as I have in my 6 years here on the boards. It is a great and very well connected community that I have noticed is great at watching out for one another. It is sort of like the wild west with rules, but it is not as brutal and desolate as one may think, quite opposite in fact.

I would be happy to help anyone with questions about IG. I'm still learning, but have learned a lot so far.

On 2/15/2021 at 12:30 PM, RedGiant said:

Easy enough question, difficult answer.  So many variables, most of which have already been brought up in this thread (other platforms, rules, hot market, pandemic, etc.).  One additional consideration (apologies if someone else already brought this up and I missed it), but for those who have been dealing for a LONG time, historically speaking sales (volume) are generally slower in Jan/Feb, not the slowest months, but definitely not the 'hot season' for volume.  

This is a very good point to bring up, but one I do not think applies right now. I usually do take Jan. and Feb. off. For years, these months are very slow, and I usually do almost no work, and take this time off. The past 12 months have been unprecedented at every turn and in all different ways. About 11 months ago prices tumbled on many items, and continued for a few months, during a time that is usually very hot in the market. Now, the market is absolute fire. I keep one modern comic in my house, and have been able to cancel my heating for this winter. That comic warms the hole house. If any dealer is taking this time off, I would find that to be a terrible idea. All dealers are active in this market, and if they are not, I think that is their lose. I do think some of the concern for the boards slowing down with nice offerings is that in this market, where amazing comics are more avaible than ever before (elsewhere), and is the hottest market I've ever seen, where are the giant boards sales? There should be more now, than ever before. Unfortunately, it seems at it's lowest. I do find this something to think about.

I do have one idea to help the Boards marketplace out. I think we should all get together, and choose 1 day of each month to be "Board day". Talk to your dealer friends, and lets get as many involved as we can. I would be happy to partake. Let's say Board day is the first of every month, we will get all dealers to agree to post at least one "cool" offering. This can be anything from one book, to an entire thread. If everyone knows to come here on the first, or whatever day is picked, I think that will create a nice and fun day filled with some activity,  and could spill into the next few days. 

9 minutes ago, Polonsky said:

I would be happy to help anyone with questions about IG. I'm still learning, but have learned a lot so far.

Good.  I have an IG account and looked at your books displayed, but if they are for sale, why no prices listed?  I too am a beginner at IG, so forgive my naivete if it's a dumb question.  
Thx.

42 minutes ago, Polonsky said:

I do have one idea to help the Boards marketplace out. I think we should all get together, and choose 1 day of each month to be "Board day". Talk to your dealer friends, and lets get as many involved as we can. I would be happy to partake. Let's say Board day is the first of every month, we will get all dealers to agree to post at least one "cool" offering. This can be anything from one book, to an entire thread. If everyone knows to come here on the first, or whatever day is picked, I think that will create a nice and fun day filled with some activity,  and could spill into the next few days. 

We have had Virtual Cons but there is a lot of work for them.  Your idea is much simpler to implement and worth a try.

31 minutes ago, fifties said:

Good.  I have an IG account and looked at your books displayed, but if they are for sale, why no prices listed?  I too am a beginner at IG, so forgive my naivete if it's a dumb question.  
Thx.

Not a dumb question at all. I am a collector and a dealer. Most of what I am selling I add a price to, like my post today. Some comics are in my collection, and I have put NFS next to them. Comics that don't fit either category are in my collection, but I would sell for the right price. With such a strong market, and with comics remaining on my wall forever, it is very hard to re price all comics every day. I am still very new to IG myself, so I may change the way I am doing this, but it's how I've started, and so far it's worked well. 

4 hours ago, Polonsky said:

I do urge anyone that has not made an IG account to do so, and poke your heads in. It does not mean you have to leave the boards at all. Both can exist, and I think each has its own pros and cons. I think the Boards provide a far superior outlet to come and have a conversation with multiple people, in threads just like this in the Golden age section, or any section. IG, from what I've seen, just doesn't have large open chat rooms like this. There are so many on the Boards, and are full of great conversation, and priceless information. .

I agree with this.  I frequent both the boards and IG and would encourage others to do the same.  The boards are still my favorite for the reasons mentioned here.  The conversations and information shared on the boards are priceless and you don't get that on IG.  There are so many people posting their books on IG though, it's definitely worth some of your time.

Personally, I've done far fewer transactions on IG compared to the boards.  I've seen fewer books in my area of interested post there for sale.  I probably just need to learn how to use IG as a marketplace better.

To be honest, my best sales for good books have been on eBay. The market for keys, classic covers and GA is exploding. I simply just can’t keep up to price this stuff. I have gotton prices on some books that made my jaw drop. I hate using eBay but prices there have just gone crazy. 

It works way against me as a collector/buyer. I put in what I think is a super aggressive bid and I’m left in the dust. 

Might just have to be happy with all the cool books I’ve been able to snag over all the years I’ve been collecting. 

28 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

To be honest, my best sales for good books have been on eBay. The market for keys, classic covers and GA is exploding. I simply just can’t keep up to price this stuff. I have gotton prices on some books that made my jaw drop. I hate using eBay but prices there have just gone crazy. 

It works way against me as a collector/buyer. I put in what I think is a super aggressive bid and I’m left in the dust. 

Might just have to be happy with all the cool books I’ve been able to snag over all the years I’ve been collecting. 

so you're seeing it to.

as i said earlier in the thread, ebay has been going bonkers lately.