• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

are sales slowing down on the boards?
9 9

197 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

... with eBay taking a 21% chunk out of my last sale there, I only post books there occasionally .... I'm lucky to get a 20% break when buying better material for resale, so eBay is often just a wash ... a last resort for cash flow. I think what is happening is that the market is evolving into a more "one on one" dynamic that is facilitated by social media. This is cutting out many of the middle men from the old school traditional markets. Luckily, we have some strong  LCS activity here, so there are still the surprise collections from time to time... but these are usually from heirs who don't want the drama of selling online. I certainly see no shortage of quality at auction, and the final hammer is often good for the seller. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Comics are an easy sell for me. Pretty much ANY comics if priced accordingly. Even non-comic people are getting into the fray. I often send a big stack off to the local auction houses. I get incredible prices. 

I use eBay for hard to find non comic book collectibles since I can’t do live shows. Still the best outlet for good toys, political items, advertising pieces as well as military and sports pieces. 

When I have key comics, PCH, classic covers and other unusual GA. The bay is my best source. People are simply bidding anything. I would have a hard time putting a price on books like this. The market for GA is just so volatile. 

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I also noticed that happening with Dale’s Christmas sale on the boards. I barely got to see the picture and there were 5 “takes”. I just gave up. 

Both Dale and Ted are top notch dealers. Incredibly cool guys and great to deal with. But, neither gives great books away cheap. 

With no shows, it is real tough to get new inventory. They have to pay up for quality stuff as despite the economy, I don’t hear of a lot of folks dumping their collections. 

Ebay, is off the hook. Anything decent even from non comic book sellers is going for nosebleed prices. 

I’ve really narrowed down my focus and in many cases spent a whole lot less on comics and spread it out to other interests. 

Anybody hear from Harley? Up until this year, he didn’t do eBay and had no website just shows. 

It's his birthday today, so y'all wish him a happy b'day if you talk to him.

On 2/22/2021 at 5:43 PM, jimjum12 said:

... with eBay taking a 21% chunk out of my last sale there, I only post books there occasionally .... I'm lucky to get a 20% break when buying better material for resale, so eBay is often just a wash ... a last resort for cash flow. I think what is happening is that the market is evolving into a more "one on one" dynamic that is facilitated by social media. This is cutting out many of the middle men from the old school traditional markets. Luckily, we have some strong  LCS activity here, so there are still the surprise collections from time to time... but these are usually from heirs who don't want the drama of selling online. I certainly see no shortage of quality at auction, and the final hammer is often good for the seller. GOD BLESS....

How did ebay take 21%, does that include shipping costs? Even without a store and with managed payments ebays fees on comics are 12.3%

5 hours ago, rjpb said:

How did ebay take 21%, does that include shipping costs? Even without a store and with managed payments ebays fees on comics are 12.3%

It was a while back, but I'll see what I can find for you. I could live with 12 % for the occasional sale but I haven't seen 12% for a while. I did likely include the 3% for Paypal, since that was my only option with them at the time.  GOD BLESS...

On 2/18/2021 at 12:06 PM, circumstances said:

interesting.

i'm not generally aware of auction house results.

at the beginning of the pandemic, i was scoffing stuff off ebay left and right.

for the past month or two, everything has been going too high for any scoffage.

Except for my 8.5 Police Comics #49 - seems Plastic Man is the only non-hot (cold) GA superhero?  Which is the reason why I've been working on a Pedigree run lol...

On 2/15/2021 at 11:20 AM, Funnybooks said:

I imagine part of the benefit in addition to what you stated is community engagement which propels the hobby which propels buying and selling which benefits Cgc brand and bottom line in the end...I'm going to move towards IG and join the future of this hobby...

Let me know what your name on IG is mine is m.austin.k

On 2/13/2021 at 7:02 PM, G.A.tor said:

I stopped selling on the boards due to the selling rules not allowing cash discounts. I want to offer my customers the 3% discount instead of giving it to PayPal. So I only sell on IG now. No policing or restrictions and way more active 

What is your IG name? Should we all put or IG name in our bio? Never mind I read the thread adding Newforcecomics now 

Edited by Mak420

On 2/14/2021 at 12:28 PM, www.alexgross.com said:

the problem with instagram for buyers is that no one knows when they'll see your posts anymore. since they ditched the chronological timeline, i've seen your posts up to three days late. now, if you sell the book, then i guess what does it matter. but for buyers, it's certainly not the best place to keep an eye out for tough books. 

You can follow chosen people on IG and get a Push notification any time they post.

12 minutes ago, JimButlerGA said:

FYI, I am @wwii.cover on IG. I sell there and here at times.

I always enjoy seeing what you post! I am happy this thread exists if only to make connections between boardies and their IG accounts. I'm about to dedicate a wall in my office to a giant chart connecting everyone's name, nickname, board name, IG name, AIM screen name...

4 minutes ago, Polonsky said:

I always enjoy seeing what you post! I am happy this thread exists if only to make connections between boardies and their IG accounts. I'm about to dedicate a wall in my office to a giant chart connecting everyone's name, nickname, board name, IG name, AIM screen name...

Thanks Lee...check is in the mail...