• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

are sales slowing down on the boards?
9 9

197 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Nic8612 said:

Me after reading this thread

Screenshot_20210314-075626_Gallery.jpg.1337673e54f0199c3b8aa32e53fd4f28.jpg

Me after trying Instagram for the first timeScreenshot_20210314-075858_Gallery.thumb.jpg.f59c6874b4291f3f1d03e4f7192f90f5.jpg

Haha this is great, but you and others should really give it a shot. I signed up in 2017, and only recently gave it more of a shot, and its great. Feels like just yesterday I was holding @Funnybooks hand while showing him all the sights. Now he's making three dimensional gif emojis and I don't know how he does it. There is every kind of market/ dealer/ collector/ and everything in between on IG, its just overwhelming and confusing at first. 

10 minutes ago, Polonsky said:

Haha this is great, but you and others should really give it a shot. I signed up in 2017, and only recently gave it more of a shot, and its great. Feels like just yesterday I was holding @Funnybooks hand while showing him all the sights. Now he's making three dimensional gif emojis and I don't know how he does it. There is every kind of market/ dealer/ collector/ and everything in between on IG, its just overwhelming and confusing at first. 

I just genuinely don't know what I'm looking at when trying to browse. I don't understand the UI at all. I don't do any other social media so all of the hashtags and stories and follows are all too confusing 

I'm not even that old, at 35 haha

Edited by Nic8612

1 hour ago, Polonsky said:

facebook-social-promotion-3744-1451148701-1.png

I'm your star pupil

1 hour ago, Nic8612 said:

I just genuinely don't know what I'm looking at when trying to browse. I don't understand the UI at all. I don't do any other social media so all of the hashtags and stories and follows are all too confusing 

I'm not even that old, at 35 haha

Haha I more than know where you’re coming from. I’m 33, so I need to get all my social media in now before I reach your age:preach: It has taken a while to learn how to navigate, and I’m still learning. 

1 hour ago, manofsteel said:

I find it too hard to find comics with no search function. Just a screen name search from what I know. 

You can search by hashtag, but its not a perfect system. Let’s say you want to buy an action comics 1. Search #action1 or #actioncomics1. In the search I switch from most popular to recent, and sometimes something I’m looking for has been offered for sale or posted recently.

12 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

facebook-social-promotion-3744-1451148701-1.png

I'm your star pupil

Once I was the master, but now I am the apprentice (worship)

On 2/13/2021 at 10:18 PM, Badger said:

I always sell here before anywhere else. Where in the rules does it say you cannot offer a cash discount? I know Paypal Friends and Family is not allowed for various reasons but the seller should be able to offer any discount desired.  Maybe the rule is a holdover for when offering a cash discount violated the merchant credit card agreements. That is no longer the case, merchants can offer discounts for cash to discourage credit cards, so maybe the rule should be eliminated?

The PayPal TOS says it.  If PayPal is offered then a discount cannot be offered in the same setting that PayPal is offered, to provide the customer an incentive NOT to use PayPal.   There was a guy doing some shady stuff on a Facebook group a while ago.  He was a tool.  A bunch of the people supposedly got in touch with PayPal and the seller himself complained that PayPal locked his account as they reviewed his transactions. 

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

The PayPal TOS says it.  If PayPal is offered then a discount cannot be offered in the same setting that PayPal is offered, to provide the customer an incentive NOT to use PayPal.   There was a guy doing some shady stuff on a Facebook group a while ago.  He was a tool.  A bunch of the people supposedly got in touch with PayPal and the seller himself complained that PayPal locked his account as they reviewed his transactions. 

This is correct. You cannot offer a discount to encourage people to not use Paypal. You can price things like this:100$ check/money order $103 Paypal. You cannot say you're discouraging Paypal. You cannot have a sign up that says discount for Cash as that violates credit card and Paypal rules. You can have every item individually priced with cash and credit treated equally on the same line with no stated preference but 2 separate and different prices. This rule is why the old "Paypal preferred" logo disappeared roughly 10 years ago. All payment methods must be treated equally with no preference. You cannot state you prefer Visa over Mastercard over Paypal over cash or any combination thereof. You can price your items to reflect your costs where the item is listed for sale.

You cannot penalize Paypal or credit users at checkout. If your stated price is $100 then that is what you have to charge. Surcharges are illegal and against TOS. Discounts are not; if handled properly.

$100 Check/Money Order $103 Paypal perfectly legal. $100 Check/Money Order $103 Paypal Preferred perfectly illegal. $100 Check/Money Order Preferred $103 Paypal illegal. Stating that you will charge an extra 3% at checkout if someone uses Paypal or Credit is illegal on a sign at your POS and it is illegal in a sales listing here on the boards. Saying you will accept all forms of payment but then pricing every item individually $100 Check/Money Order $103 Paypal that is legal because it does not blanket state a preference for one or the other. Legally it is not a surcharge; it is a discount. Very important.

Its all semantics but that's the law for you.

7 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

I see this type of message all the time at gas stations. Does this only apply to comic books?

They do it at our local DMV as well. I have found the "rule" here pretty silly. 

8 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

I see this type of message all the time at gas stations. Does this only apply to comic books?

Discounts displayed at the pump are fine. You just cannot state an explicit "surcharge" for credit. As I said, its all semantics but that's the law for you! Relevant statute.

So, rethinking this, it should be fine to say Comic Book A $103. Then, when it is time to pay up, state on the invoice 2 prices: the first one $103 and the second one $100/cash equivalent with no stated preference. A simple "Cash Equivalent Discount available" notice in the seller terms should also be fine.

For @Buzzetta this is not a surcharge, it is a discount. A discount with no stated preference for one buying method one way or another is perfectly in accordance with PayPal terms and the law.