• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nominating Top City Comics
12 12

891 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, DR.X said:

+1

I use checks also. I have dealers I buy from with checks, and boardies who take checks too. I have people who ship books before I even pay them. LOL. I don't ask them to do it, but its a trust system I guess. They get paid promptly and that's it. End of story. Getting people riled up on here about money would be the last think I'd want to do.

Especially incurring the wrath of that Porcupine.  :fear:

I've tried to chill the quills in my middle age

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

That makes sense to me though.  I've sent greetings cards to Canada and I always assume it'll take a month to get there.  (Average length has been 4 weeks, longest it's taken is 6 weeks).  I've never sent domestic mail and not have it delivered in 2-3 days.

Really?  I'm finding that since last October the US Postal Service has been whoppingly inconsistent with deliveries.  We've been getting holiday cards and time sensitive mail a full month after their relevance date, and standard mail has been all over the place.  Priority Mail hasn't been any better for reliability.  There's been an active effort to strip the Postal Service of resources, and the process has come to roost over the past couple of months.

So while I'm happy to use checks as a buyer to save the seller from PayPal fees and happy to receive them as seller to save said fees, right now might not be the best time to count on them being delivered in a timely fashion.  For important documents, I've been depending on FedEx since the beginning of the new year.

Edited by namisgr

These are certainly unprecedented times, the likes of which I'll be happy to never see again. I have had many delays, mostly in December, when some packages took 5 weeks to be delivered. There was a hiccup lately with the snow around the country. The past week everything that was delayed has come in, and all new mail out has been fine. I know others may have different experiences.

Adrian did mention 2 days ago that the check sat in his girlfriends car for a day or so, this being several days after it was supposed to be in. 

1 hour ago, ChasingKingKirby said:

Unforutnately, I've had a check in the mail that I sent for over a month at this point.  It was to Canada, but still.  

I've been waiting for a record from the Netherlands for more than a month,once had a parcel from Robot Man sit in a facility for five weeks and have had mail within my city(Ottawa Canada)take three or four days.

Canada Post has...issues.

1 minute ago, porcupine48 said:

I've been waiting for a record from the Netherlands for more than a month,once had a parcel from Robot Man sit in a facility for five weeks and have had mail within my city(Ottawa Canada)take three or four days.

Yup I mailed a book and it took 5 weeks to go from my house to the sort facility 1.5hrs away.  

Just now, porcupine48 said:

and have had mail within my city(Ottawa Canada)take three or four days.

My USPS Registered packages from CGC always sit in my city for 3 days.  It's infuriating because any time the book is not in my hand or CGC's, i'm always worried that it's getting tossed about like a rag doll on some truck.

4 minutes ago, Polonsky said:

Adrian did mention 2 days ago that the check sat in his girlfriends car for a day or so, this being several days after it was supposed to be in. 

:eyeroll:

2 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:

Yup I mailed a book and it took 5 weeks to go from my house to the sort facility 1.5hrs away.  

I feel your pain.If you sent me cherry Coke right now it'd expire before arrival lol 

That's effin ridiculous though,are you pulling my leg?

And have you found a lot of international stuff travels faster than within Canada?Like France gets here before Vancouver.

19 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

The extra time that items from Canada take, you would think there was a wall or something. 

1 hour ago, porcupine48 said:

I feel your pain.If you sent me cherry Coke right now it'd expire before arrival lol 

That's effin ridiculous though,are you pulling my leg?

And have you found a lot of international stuff travels faster than within Canada?Like France gets here before Vancouver.

This is my most recent one... :banana:  

image.png.b379d7ab12b070334bb36cf46f997e74.png

10 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:

I can beat that!

image.png.f1ce2bc1fcab37904dc752a8cfa418d8.png

The fail is strong in this thread O.o

36 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:

21 minutes ago, universal soldier said:

I can beat that!

image.png.f1ce2bc1fcab37904dc752a8cfa418d8.png

The fail is strong in this thread O.o

Good grief.I took a few books from Moes Attic in Hamilton and now I'm scared I may not get them till next fall at Canada Posts rates.I could walk there and back,if it was summer ai'd bring the dog and a tent

If you have a debit card linked to your checking account, like most people do, you can use the debit card through PayPal and the payment is instant to the other person.  I literally do this all the time.  The only catch, PP charges the sender a small fee.  I suspect that is why TCC didn’t want to send it that way, so he didn’t have to spend more money.

11 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

If you have a debit card linked to your checking account, like most people do, you can use the debit card through PayPal and the payment is instant to the other person.  I literally do this all the time.  The only catch, PP charges the sender a small fee.  I suspect that is why TCC didn’t want to send it that way, so he didn’t have to spend more money.

Why would you pay via debit card and incur a fee when you could just pay directly from the linked checking account for no fee?

31 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Why would you pay via debit card and incur a fee when you could just pay directly from the linked checking account for no fee?

Is there a difference between paying directly through a linked checking account and an e-check? And is it faster?

Edited by DocHoppus182
Spelling

14 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Is there a difference between paying directly through a linked checking account and an e-check? And is it faster?

Dunno.  You mentioned a fee for paying with debit card.  I only know my Venmo/PayPal are linked to my checking account and I've never noticed any added fees when transferring funds.

8 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Dunno.  You mentioned a fee for paying with debit card.  I only know my Venmo/PayPal are linked to my checking account and I've never noticed any added fees when transferring funds.

It happens every time.  I used my debit card through PP and it’s an instant payment.  I do that because it’s quick and I want my stuff shipped.  Yeah, it costs a little fee, I don’t care.