• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many actual million dollar collections in the world?
2 2

41 posts in this topic

I was reading the Mile High story and it got me wondering, just how many collections are out there worth 7 figures or more?

I couldn't find anything aside from articles on specific big collections, no large data sets. If I had to guess I would put it at less than a couple thousand though. A million bucks is 1,000 books worth $1,000 each, that is no small feat!

Original owner collections? Like Mile high? 

Or just collectors? 

I think the number would surprise allot of people.  I imagine there are 3 groups: 

1) the really wealthy investment buyers who can actually afford those 6 and 7 figure books.

2) The collector / Dealer who has been around for years and moves books while building their personal collection. 

3) The hardened collectors who have been collecting for years strictly for the love of comics. Guys who have been chugging away, grabbing good deals and opportunities as values countinued to rise.

$1M is a pretty high threshold for any collector, but I imagine with how values have gone up, allot of collectors have moved into that category.

1 hour ago, musicmeta said:

I think it's more than a few thousand. I think a lot of people have collected for years and years and just haven't sold their collection yet and a lot of their books are now worth a lot more then what they paid for them.

It’s got to be tough to continue to hold at current prices.  I imagine a bunch of longtime collectors are getting close to letting it go.

20 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

It’s got to be tough to continue to hold at current prices.  I imagine a bunch of longtime collectors are getting close to letting it go.

Yes, I think you're right.  The prices on some of these books have really shot up..Hard to resist selling I think.

Would you rather have 1000 $1000 books or 5 books that total 1M...I think with the smaller but valuable grail collections you attract a different kind of buyer I.e Nicholas Cage ect. You can also sit on books like that if you need too, whereas with the other it is a constant grind...I've only been collecting (again) for about two years and I have amassed a decent collection thus far (but mostly that has been built in the past 12 months) and I would prefer having 1 9.4 AF 15 over 1000 9.8 Ultimate Fallout 4s

8 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Longtime collectors?  I am close to letting go lol 

Again, I was on Zillow this weekend and crunching numbers. I could sell this place in NY, sell the comics, UPSIZE the square footage of a possible house in Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine or somewhere else where I can stare at the mountains all day for ONE THIRD the price and feed the deer, retire early, and be a walmart greeter just to get out of the house.

Sounds like a plan to me, the 3rd wave of Stimulus is on it's way.

Time to feed the market with your stash and go retire :preach:

38 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Again, I was on Zillow this weekend and crunching numbers. I could sell this place in NY, sell the comics, UPSIZE the square footage of a possible house in Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine or somewhere else where I can stare at the mountains all day for ONE THIRD the price and feed the deer, retire early, and be a walmart greeter just to get out of the house.

Even though my collection is probably under $100k, I have seriously considered selling everything off.  I'm down to the point where I'm not adding much to my collection.  I even asked my kids (who would get the proceeds when I'm gone) and they said they would rather I have the comics which bring me joy than more money.  Now, it helps that my estate is hovering around 3-4 million so the little extra that my collection would add doesn't do much to change that.  

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

We did something similar 2 years ago. Had a little House in the greatest Boston area. Prices sky rocketed and we really needed more space as our family kept growing. 

So we sold and moved to CT. Bought a house 3xs the size, 3 miles from the beach for less than we sold our old house for. 

If you've got a job that's flexible with remote work, I highly recommend it. It takes some adjusting to get use to the slower life style, but man was I grateful to have a bigger house when Covid sunk in. 2 little guys and a dog would have been tough in 900 square feet during a pandemic. 

44 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

We did something similar 2 years ago. Had a little House in the greatest Boston area. Prices sky rocketed and we really needed more space as our family kept growing. 

So we sold and moved to CT. Bought a house 3xs the size, 3 miles from the beach for less than we sold our old house for. 

If you've got a job that's flexible with remote work, I highly recommend it. It takes some adjusting to get use to the slower life style, but man was I grateful to have a bigger house when Covid sunk in. 2 little guys and a dog would have been tough in 900 square feet during a pandemic. 

Florida real estate is starting to become eye opening.  Our neighborhood went from $250K a few years ago for a 3/2/2 to over $400K now.  If people keep moving down (as all demographic reports say they are) and we start to see California prices here, I will sell, move up a few states in the SE, buy a house for cash,  get a job at Barnes & Noble, and live happily ever after. 

15 hours ago, HotKey said:

I was reading the Mile High story and it got me wondering, just how many collections are out there worth 7 figures or more?

Since you read the Mile High story, you do realize that the Church family sold the entire collection off for only $2,000 or for low 4-figures only.  :gossip:

Apparently, they assume there were about 20,000 books in there and at 10 cents a pop, that worked out to a steal for them if they could only find some young whippersnapper of a fool to pay brand new prices for old used comic books.  doh!  :takeit:  :whee:  :banana:

3 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Florida real estate is starting to become eye opening.  Our neighborhood went from $250K a few years ago for a 3/2/2 to over $400K now.  If people keep moving down (as all demographic reports say they are) and we start to see California prices here, I will sell, move up a few states in the SE, buy a house for cash,  get a job at Barnes & Noble, and live happily ever after. 

I’m in the same boat. My wife and I bought our house the last week of 2012 and the value has exploded in my area. As you say, time to sell and move a couple states up, buy a new ocean front condo for cash and fade off into the sunset. If I can sell my whole comic collection at once too! Well then that would be nice. 

6 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I want to update this by saying by stroke of coincidence, one of my coworkers called me up and was expressing the same idea.    The current disillusionment is real. However, she did echo something that I stated here a couple of months ago in Shadroch's thread, 'The thrill is gone."  This pandemic has really opened the eyes of many people as to what is really important and what is not. 

5 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:
6 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I want to update this by saying by stroke of coincidence, one of my coworkers called me up and was expressing the same idea.    The current disillusionment is real. However, she did echo something that I stated here a couple of months ago in Shadroch's thread, 'The thrill is gone."  This pandemic has really opened the eyes of many people as to what is really important and what is not. 

lol  I am doing the opposite and downsizing.  I'm putting my house on 20 acres in Vermont on the market this summer, and going to build in Florida.