• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

April HA 2021
2 2

351 posts in this topic

On 3/15/2021 at 3:31 AM, Bronty said:

anybody win anything at the European art auction this weekend?   I forgot about it.   I was hoping to buy two Don Rosa pages, and one stayed reasonable at 5k which I'm bummed I didn't throw some bids on, but the other went for 24k :eek: so I wasn't going to win that anyways.

So, is that a record at auction for a Rosa panel?    anybody pick anything up?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/don-rosa-kalle-anka-and-c-o-donald-duck-and-company-1995-24-planche-2-uncle-scrooge-egmont-1995-total-2-original/a/7253-51128.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

I was also hoping to get one of them, but prices skyrocketed!  As for the one you mention, sure it's the title page (and a nice one), but it used to be the price for a full story :facepalm:

https://comicarttracker.com/don-rosa-original-art-for-sale

5 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

That Moebius Silver Surfer page went strong! So did the Buscema Silver Surfer 7 page. Surfer continues to be hot, regardless of artist I guess.

I’m glad I snagged this Surfer/Galactus/Watcher piece a while back. Can’t imagine the cost now!

6CD34066-5E1F-40D6-82A3-109F1194AE12.jpeg

Wow, hard to believe its been a week since someone last commented on the HA Signature Auction.  Live bidding starts in just over a week and there's some strong prices already and some pieces flying completely under the radar (well, in today's crazy market, just to be subjective).  I limited myself to three examples per category.  Let's discuss these, and any others you'd like to bring forth:

Strong Prices

• Biz Lobo 1 cover.  I think some posts on this thread have estimated around 90K+.  It doesn't seem unrealistic given some recent sales examples.  This one's already at $63K and it may see a flurry of activity during live bidding.
  • Ditko ASM #8 page.  $44.4K is the current high bid for this page which is essentially a character page with Peter and his classmates...except for panel 6, which features the half Peter/half Spiderman spidey sense image.  This issue does not introduce any villains per se, so the high bid seems kind of strong already
  • Stevens Aliens Worlds #2 cover.  Already at $81K.  what's the over/under this will break $100K?  I absolutely love Stevens' work and I think this is a wonderful cover.  I just wish I had deeper pockets.

Totally Under the Radar

• Gieger Hulk 332 cover.  Not 1, but 2 Hulks in battle, plus the Leader.  A few hundred bucks to clean the cover and its as good as brand new.  Current high bid is $1K.  Yup, just $1K for what is arguably a $20K+ cover
  • Moldoff 'Tec #314 splash.  Great full page splash by Moldoff featuring Batman and Robin for only $1.7K?  Say it ain't so.
  • Sale Superior Spiderman #31 cover featuring Spidey, Captain America and Electro.  Great characters & great image makes for a great cover, especially when its only $1K.

Thoughts?

I was thinking I might add a Cockrum page to my collection, but prices are already pretty high. I had my eye on a other pages that are still reasonable so we will see.

One thing (and I asked today) is if Heritage had a better payment plan. They said they don't. Three months is not long enough and a 1% interest rate per month is pretty darn high in today's environment. Considering they are keeping your purchase as collateral, I wish they had long terms and more like a 5-6% annual interest rate. As invariably happens, a page that I want comes up early, and I stop bidding when it gets too high. I then wait for other pages I want, they get way too high and I wish I had bid more on the first page. If they had a better payment plan, I would be more aggressive early on, but I don't want to overbid too early in the auction, in case something later on feels like a really good deal.

I will say this auction has some really good stuff (or at least stuff I like).

11 hours ago, sfilosa said:

One thing (and I asked today) is if Heritage had a better payment plan. They said they don't. Three months is not long enough

Interesting, they used to offer 6-month payment plans.

11 hours ago, sfilosa said:

a 1% interest rate per month is pretty darn high in today's environment. Considering they are keeping your purchase as collateral, I wish they had long terms and more like a 5-6% annual interest rate

Don't borrow from Heritage and take out a home equity loan or something instead.

16 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Wow, hard to believe its been a week since someone last commented on the HA Signature Auction.  Live bidding starts in just over a week and there's some strong prices already and some pieces flying completely under the radar (well, in today's crazy market, just to be subjective).  I limited myself to three examples per category.  Let's discuss these, and any others you'd like to bring forth:

Strong Prices

• Biz Lobo 1 cover.  I think some posts on this thread have estimated around 90K+.  It doesn't seem unrealistic given some recent sales examples.  This one's already at $63K and it may see a flurry of activity during live bidding.
  • Ditko ASM #8 page.  $44.4K is the current high bid for this page which is essentially a character page with Peter and his classmates...except for panel 6, which features the half Peter/half Spiderman spidey sense image.  This issue does not introduce any villains per se, so the high bid seems kind of strong already
  • Stevens Aliens Worlds #2 cover.  Already at $81K.  what's the over/under this will break $100K?  I absolutely love Stevens' work and I think this is a wonderful cover.  I just wish I had deeper pockets.

Totally Under the Radar

• Gieger Hulk 332 cover.  Not 1, but 2 Hulks in battle, plus the Leader.  A few hundred bucks to clean the cover and its as good as brand new.  Current high bid is $1K.  Yup, just $1K for what is arguably a $20K+ cover
  • Moldoff 'Tec #314 splash.  Great full page splash by Moldoff featuring Batman and Robin for only $1.7K?  Say it ain't so.
  • Sale Superior Spiderman #31 cover featuring Spidey, Captain America and Electro.  Great characters & great image makes for a great cover, especially when its only $1K.

Thoughts?

This ASM #8 page is actually a key page!  It's the page where Parker's glasses get smashed, & from this point on he doesn't wear them anymore. Imagine if Clark Kent's glasses got broke as a kid & he never wore them again. That event would change the whole world's perspective of Clark Kent & his secret identity!

2 hours ago, eewwnuk said:

or don't borrow for highly discretionary purchases.

Two comments on that:

* Almost every purchase is discretionary. Most of us probably own a better house, better car, go on better vacations, better everything than we actually need to survive. Some of those purchases "can" increase in value and some definitely don't. 

* I also sell items (e.g. sell something that no longer interest me as much as something else), but I don't want to sell until I have something new in my hands. Home Line of Credit is definitely the way to go for that concept. No guarantee that I win anything in an auction.

Just depends on discipline right.   Each of us knows whether we can "handle" borrowing say 100k on the line and paying it back or whether we will "blow" it and end up 100k in debt.    In that scenario I know I will pay back 80 or 90 and tell myself the 10 or 20 will come from something else.... and eventually it does, after a few buy this sell that revolutions.    I.e. I get there but I don't take the direct route.    We all probably have a different long standing habit which we'd expect to play out in that situation.

Edited by Bronty

31 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Just depends on discipline right.   Each of us knows whether we can "handle" borrowing say 100k on the line and paying it back or whether we will "blow" it and end up 100k in debt.    In that scenario I know I will pay back 80 or 90 and tell myself the 10 or 20 will come from something else.... and eventually it does, after a few buy this sell that revolutions.    I.e. I get there but I don't take the direct route.    We all probably have a different long standing habit which we'd expect to play out in that situation.

I personally prefer to have a piece in hand before selling stuff to buy it because WAY too many times I have gone the opposite route and ended up selling something I liked and now have cash burning a hole in my pocket because I lost out on the piece I wanted.

7 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I personally prefer to have a piece in hand before selling stuff to buy it because WAY too many times I have gone the opposite route and ended up selling something I liked and now have cash burning a hole in my pocket because I lost out on the piece I wanted.

Exactly. Especially in an auction. I might see three pieces I really want, and expect to get at least one. More than not, I walk away empty handed. If I actually sell something before the auction to have the funds, two "bad" things can happen:

* I truly overbid because I feel I need to replace what I sold (either from an investment point of view or collector point of view).

* I probably sold without trying to maximize the value. Maybe I put it on CAF at a price I felt comfortable it would sell, and sell fairly quickly. Instead, I might have maximized value at an auction but knew I would not receive full cash value until sometime after the auction (probably several months).

9 hours ago, eewwnuk said:
10 hours ago, tth2 said:

Don't borrow from Heritage and take out a home equity loan or something instead.

or don't borrow for highly discretionary purchases.

But debt is the American way! 

No one pays cash for their McMansions and Skidoos.

Not sure if there will be "bargains" but at least I still have a shot for a number of pieces I want.:wishluck: Several of the pieces I really wanted in the last auction were already 20-50% higher than I was willing to pay at this point (and ended up nada).:frustrated: