• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

April HA 2021
2 2

351 posts in this topic

$288 k on the DD 1 page.

In the 90’s that page was listed by a dealer for $6,500. That was so much money back then for ole grape ape. But I knew it was a piece of history.

Maybe ten years ago this page sat on eBay with a BIN price of $100k.

Ambitious as hell no?

Both previous price points a bargain compared to today. You are crazy to give your best stuff to a dealer or privately.

Auction Fever is real. These prices are  really bringing me joy and a bit of anxiety honestly.

Cheers

🦧 🦍 

37 minutes ago, grapeape said:

$288 k on the DD 1 page.

In the 90’s that page was listed by a dealer for $6,500. That was so much money back then for ole grape ape. But I knew it was a piece of history.

Maybe ten years ago this page sat on eBay with a BIN price of $100k.

Ambitious as hell no?

Both previous price points a bargain compared to today. You are crazy to give your best stuff to a dealer or privately.

Auction Fever is real. These prices are  really bringing me joy and a bit of anxiety honestly.

Cheers

🦧 🦍 

Theo H. must be happy, I believe he had it on ebay.

3 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Today marks my first win on HA Platinum day and I’m very happy with my purchase. 😎

And that would be?

Tomorrow will be the day for me. :wishluck:If I win one thing, good, more than one, awesome.:foryou: Might need to clarify that as I would like to win at a reasonable price, not because I got :makepoint: stupid!

3 minutes ago, sfilosa said:

And that would be?

Tomorrow will be the day for me. :wishluck:If I win one thing, good, more than one, awesome.:foryou: Might need to clarify that as I would like to win at a reasonable price, not because I got :makepoint: stupid!

PM sent.

yes, hoping tomorrow will be another successful day for me, too.  Going after three pieces.

21 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Why did the ff72 surfer page go so high? I was hopeful I could win 60 or less. Didn’t happen. 

Those were around in the late 90’s. I think that page was in the back of the Comic Buyers Guide at $3k.

I have vertigo from seeing art I saw or held in my hands in the nineties sell today for crazy 💰 

2 hours ago, NinjaSealed said:

I love the DD #1 page and though it could have went a lot higher, 10k for the V page feels like a bargain in todays market...

This was my immediate reaction as well - I mean the DD page being so sweet but the price...

The DD page, if you value as his true first appearance then it is a bit of a unicorn piece so price is whatever the top 2 want it to be - but I was impressed!  The V, was it an interlude page or something...perhaps that suppressed the price.

Edited by mtlevy1

1 hour ago, robert frey said:

my wife actually sat with me and watched this live................ i almost had to give her cpr when she saw the prices. she could not believe what she was seeing and kept asking if i had anything like that, lol. the really interesting pieces sure did well.

It is always a conflict on when things sell high as it is nice that this stuff is worth something but darling wife is always - Sell It!

So Robert - well don't tell us how you responded but you do have some very fine art in your collection....

7 minutes ago, grapeape said:

Those were around in the late 90’s. I think that page was in the back of the Comic Buyers Guide at $3k.

I have vertigo from seeing art I saw or held in my hands in the nineties sell today for crazy 💰 

On January 1, 2000 Apple stock was valued at .......$.93 cents. It's $123 today (taken into considering all stock splits). If that piece was really $3k back on January 1, 2000 and it went up the same multiple as Apple stock it should have sold for ....$396,000. Now clearly most stocks have not performed as well as Apple. But guess what, I bet there are tens of thousands of art pages that have barely doubled in 20 years. Obviously not the popular characters and artist, but plenty of non descript pages.

My point is that it isn't like comic art is the only thing in this world soaring in price. Quality (be it stocks or art) is always going to increase much faster than the norm.

1 hour ago, robert frey said:

my wife actually sat with me and watched this live................ i almost had to give her cpr when she saw the prices. she could not believe what she was seeing and kept asking if i had anything like that, lol. the really interesting pieces sure did well.

Yes, Robert, I know the feeling. The wives usually say "sell it" so we can renovate the house. They don't understand that when I want to retire, I can't just sell the upgraded bathroom right for a profit.

And yes Robert has an awesome collection.