• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

April HA 2021
2 2

351 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Bill C said:

Thanks for the insight on the buy, and congratulations by the way. It has to be one of the better splashes from the run- with both main and both supporting characters in well rendered full body shots.

I only have a couple of Murphy pieces, I love him also- I wouldn't mind getting a couple more myself before I hang the gloves up. 

Thanks!  my favorite Murphy piece is the Hawkman 4 complete story (first Zatanna) which is just beautifully rendered.  An incredible artist.

2 hours ago, mtlevy1 said:

It is always a conflict on when things sell high as it is nice that this stuff is worth something but darling wife is always - Sell It!

So Robert - well don't tell us how you responded but you do have some very fine art in your collection....

i don't remember, mark- i was still woozy from the smelling salts the paramedics  gave me after seeing the price on the lobo 1 cover. thank you (and steven) for the nice words about my collection!  :) 

Edited by robert frey

3 hours ago, sfilosa said:

My point is that it isn't like comic art is the only thing in this world soaring in price. Quality (be it stocks or art) is always going to increase much faster than the norm.

You are right about that imho.

30 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

The John Byrne FF splash with Daredevil just took a big jump

Star Spangled Batman/Robin splash took a big jump

Art I am watching is still real low but that will change tomorrow

If prices on the 1st day are any guide, then I will again be sitting on the sidelines during the next few days. 

15 minutes ago, batman_fan said:
23 minutes ago, tth2 said:

If prices on the 1st day are any guide, then I will again be sitting on the sidelines during the next few days. 

Maybe we can sit together because I definitely feel like I will be getting blown out of the water.

Under the Radar: Movies You May Have Missed—The Losers - Criminal Element

4 hours ago, Foolkiller said:

I'm the buyer on this -- I'm a huge Murphy fan and a huge fan of his MIS run, so I was willing to go up for it, there's not a lot of really good splashes on the market from this title.  I have another splash that isn't as good but I did acquire recently for much less.  

congratulations on a GREAT pickup! I was watching it to see where it landed, not because I had a chance in hell of getting it. Such a great splash! 

11 hours ago, Foolkiller said:

I'm the buyer on this -- I'm a huge Murphy fan and a huge fan of his MIS run, so I was willing to go up for it, there's not a lot of really good splashes on the market from this title.  I have another splash that isn't as good but I did acquire recently for much less.  

Congrats B! That’s a great splash from a gotta-have comic for MIS and Anderson fans.  

11 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Maybe we can sit together because I definitely feel like I will be getting blown out of the water.

Do you have room for one more? I whittled down to 2, and both of them are already over the value I put on them. Clearly, I forgot to carry the one. One page is a long sought after piece that I might never see again, so the evil, over-bidding FOMO (fear of missing out) dude that lives between two folds my brain is whispering stuff...

How are you all approaching those types of pages? How much “stretch” is prudent over your set FMV to get a piece like that? I’m also thinking I just don’t have the computational “sea-legs” yet for this crazy market.

24 minutes ago, Latverian Tourism Board said:

Do you have room for one more? I whittled down to 2, and both of them are already over the value I put on them. Clearly, I forgot to carry the one. One page is a long sought after piece that I might never see again, so the evil, over-bidding FOMO (fear of missing out) dude that lives between two folds my brain is whispering stuff...

How are you all approaching those types of pages? How much “stretch” is prudent over your set FMV to get a piece like that? I’m also thinking I just don’t have the computational “sea-legs” yet for this crazy market.

Really?  We must be looking at different lots.  I'm tracking over 200 lots and most of them barely moved since yesterday.  Some items will need to quadruple or even quintuple to hit FMV today and tomorrow.

26 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Really?  We must be looking at different lots.  I'm tracking over 200 lots and most of them barely moved since yesterday.  Some items will need to quadruple or even quintuple to hit FMV today and tomorrow.

As I mentioned, I’m only watching two, so my sample is much smaller. One shot up very early and seems to have at least two very motivated buyers, and the other nearly tripled this week. I wasn’t speaking to every price, just commiserating with a couple people that have the Platinum Day Blues with my small watched slice of the auction, and floating a question.

You also may be a lot more experienced than myself (sounds very likely), and able to adjust to the new market better. :)

31 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Most of the stuff that I plan on bidding on today better not even double or I will lose out. Tomorrow is different. No reason to bid high (IMO) on those at all until I see what, if anything, I win today. Said differently, Saturday is in general a consolation prize day. Not that there aren't good piece on Saturdays, there are, but most of the time I will get more aggressive on those pieces only if I "failed" to win anything the days before.:tonofbricks:

Would love to know a few of the pieces you think are in today's auction that need to hit a 4x-5x increase to hit FMV. If you don't want to tip your hand, then mark down what it was now, and then tells us where it ended.(worship)

Most people familiar with my particular mental illness know what stuff I am watching.  The Peanuts stuff seems to have a history of being bid up to somewhere between 10% and 50% of the final hammer during the pre-live portion and then really soar during the live.  

12 minutes ago, sfilosa said:

Most of the stuff that I plan on bidding on today better not even double or I will lose out. Tomorrow is different. No reason to bid high (IMO) on those at all until I see what, if anything, I win today. Said differently, Saturday is in general a consolation prize day. Not that there aren't good piece on Saturdays, there are, but most of the time I will get more aggressive on those pieces only if I "failed" to win anything the days before.:tonofbricks:

Would love to know a few of the pieces you think are in today's auction that need to hit a 4x-5x increase to hit FMV. If you don't want to tip your hand, then mark down what it was now, and then tells us where it ended.(worship)

Yup, will let you know after the auction