• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

April HA 2021
2 2

351 posts in this topic

Looking through the auction results this morning (in no particular order) ... 

Rumors of the demise of Windsor-Smith Conan art seem to have been greatly exaggerated.  The pages in this auction seemed to do pretty well.  Could the issue be as simple as whether pages contain action or not?

The Miller Ronin pages went for a lot ($48k each)!  If one person won them both, that's almost $100k in total for the pair.  Granted, they are superb pages. :cloud9:  

A single panel cut out from a 1943 Prince Valiant page went for $25,200!  Granted that single panel is huge (16" X 22.5"), but wow!  It's a gorgeous piece, but that's a really strong price considering there's no action in it. 

The Infinity Gauntlet #1 page reinforced that the floor price for panel pages with a strong Thanos image (and this one is excellent) is $20k.

I'm a little surprised that the Flash Gordon Sunday didn't break $100k.  Conversely, the Raymond Jungle Jims went for very strong prices considering they're from the later part of the run. 

It's a bit of a surprise that the 1952 Peanuts went for "only" $78k.  It's funny how quickly we get used to really strong prices.  

45 minutes ago, tth2 said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it will attract a lot of attention. 

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

Wonder if there will be any interest in this piece coming up in the next HA auction

Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 9.15.08 PM.png

If it doesn't go nuts then we know quality is an afterthought - it is yummy!

29 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Rumors of the demise of Windsor-Smith Conan art seem to have been greatly exaggerated.  The pages in this auction seemed to do pretty well.  Could the issue be as simple as whether pages contain action or not?

The Miller Ronin pages went for a lot ($48k each)!  If one person won them both, that's almost $100k in total for the pair.  Granted, they are superb pages. :cloud9:  

A single panel cut out from a 1943 Prince Valiant page went for $25,200!  Granted that single panel is huge (16" X 22.5"), but wow!  It's a gorgeous piece, but that's a really strong price considering there's no action in it. 

The Infinity Gauntlet #1 page reinforced that the floor price for panel pages with a strong Thanos image (and this one is excellent) is $20k.

I'm a little surprised that the Flash Gordon Sunday didn't break $100k.  Conversely, the Raymond Jungle Jims went for very strong prices considering they're from the later part of the run. 

It's a bit of a surprise that the 1952 Peanuts went for "only" $78k.  It's funny how quickly we get used to really strong prices.  

I noted the same on the BWS pages that they did quite well but given the current market craziness a 25 - 35% bump isn't so much

3 minutes ago, mtlevy1 said:

I noted the same on the BWS pages that they did quite well but given the current market craziness a 25 - 35% bump isn't so much

Compared to most everything else in the auction, they feel like a bargain. But if they are only go up 25-35% over four to five years, in today's market, that's an underperformer.

Almost anything with a half good reason to buy is just going crazy. 

9 hours ago, sfilosa said:

The Larsen page didn't surprise me. Basically a cover without all the stats.

Technically the Larsen ASM 330 splash became a cover. 

Sad that so much of his early ASM artwork got destroyed in a fire. Has to play a part in the pricing you imagine since so little is out there. 

1244159.jpg

Edited by TeddieMercede

9 hours ago, comix4fun said:

I was watching that auction...checked it again today and saw this attached to it:

1552815410_ScreenShot2021-04-02at6_38_22PM.png.8a76296f211992acd8172f9bf33570b4.png

Looks like it just resold....for a much higher number. 

Congratulations to the seller. Sympathy to the buyer.

9 hours ago, tth2 said:

I had a chance to buy the Infinity Gauntlet page 2 months ago for WELL under 10k and I passed! I asked 2 dealers and 1 collector and no one valued it over $8k.

Where the hell did I leave my time machine?

Just about everything I was tracking went slightly more to vastly more than my expectations.  Thought I might have a chance on the McLeod Marvel Star Wars #86 cover.  Went way higher than I thought it would at $34,600. 

1 hour ago, Timely said:

I had a chance to buy the Infinity Gauntlet page 2 months ago for WELL under 10k and I passed! I asked 2 dealers and 1 collector and no one valued it over $8k.

Stop being cheap 😝

1 hour ago, Timely said:

Of course dealers are going to tell you it’s overpriced! They want to keep you away.
This way they can buy it and charge more.

11 hours ago, tth2 said:

I thought over $100k was really possible on it.  

11 hours ago, sfilosa said:

But if they are only go up 25-35% over four to five years, in today's market, that's an underperformer.

Absolutely. A triple in five years is minimum, anything less was a mistake (overpaying) at time of purchase.

Strong results pretty much across the board from what I've seen. I think whoever landed that Neal Adams Strange Adventures cover for $24k made out well, as did the buyer who landed the Olivia Harley Quinn cover for $9.6k.

I'd like to see what happens the next time a Sandman cover gets listed.