• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

April HA 2021
2 2

351 posts in this topic

that's Colan Tales to astonish page seemed low relative to most 2x SA Marvel art.  and WTF happened with that Richard Bennet X-Men page? $5K? The second page went for half that. during the auction it was auto bidding at an almost too mechanical an interval and the auction paused and resumed at one point like there was an error. the auctioneer even said there was a problem. Someone got hosed on that.

Edited by MyNameIsLegion

13 hours ago, tth2 said:

Rumors of the demise of Windsor-Smith Conan art seem to have been greatly exaggerated.  The pages in this auction seemed to do pretty well.  Could the issue be as simple as whether pages contain action or not?

No :makepoint: 

The 3 BWS pages in yesterday's sale only sold for between $8,100 and $10,800 (and the latter page was so memorable that it was actually the only lot that I bid seriously on in this sale...but lost :cry:). That's a bounce from where pages had fallen to by the end of the 2010s, but, it's really only getting back to where many pages were selling in the early-to-mid 2010s. 

It's like I keep telling people:  "Nobody cares about Conan."*  :sorry: 

* except for an ever-shrinking part of the Boomers and early Gen Xers...anyone younger than me and you can forget it. 

12 hours ago, mtlevy1 said:

I noted the same on the BWS pages that they did quite well but given the current market craziness a 25 - 35% bump isn't so much

Yep, a 25-35% bump (from depressed levels), which might not even get the BWS Conan market back to its previous high seen last decade, represents huge ongoing underperformance compared to the parabolic melt-up we're seeing in mainstream superhero art and other popular collectibles in 2020-21. 

Edited by delekkerste

2 hours ago, John E. said:

I wonder how much of the art sold this weekend was used to pay for the crazy prices in the last auction hm

Ya I wonder how much money Heritage is really getting in these signature auctions? Or is everyone paying to big ticket items with more art for later auctions.

1 hour ago, stinkininkin said:

I'm thrilled to "overpay" for stuff I really want if the penalty is that it falls short of tripling value in five years. (thumbsu

Presumably you didn't really want it if it's back on the market in five years lol 

38 minutes ago, Brian Peck said:

Couldn't believe the prices for today, saturday is usually the lower end artwork.

Early Garfields for $3K to $6K

Avengers #50 all by Buscema for $7800

I expect one Sat lot to possibly exceed $20k.  

8 minutes ago, vodou said:
1 hour ago, stinkininkin said:

I'm thrilled to "overpay" for stuff I really want if the penalty is that it falls short of tripling value in five years. (thumbsu

Presumably you didn't really want it if it's back on the market in five years lol 

Why would it be back on the market? I can keep the art, and enjoy the art, and note that FMV has "only" gone up somewhat less than triple my original purchase price. Win, Win, Win.

7 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Why would it be back on the market? I can keep the art, and enjoy the art, and note that FMV has "only" gone up somewhat less than triple my original purchase price. Win, Win, Win.

Now you're just playing games...the example I was responding to was one that realized poorly.

If you plan on keeping for life or so long that "return" calculation is nigh immaterial...who cares? Certainly not me!

My collection is probably 90% things that did not double (nevermind triple) in the last 5 years. Nor were any of them ever meant to. It is a collection after all.

Given what other stuff went for, I thought the BWS Conan panels were actually pretty reasonable for what was depicted on the panels and how many included CONAN.  They were the only 2 things I bid on and was outbid as well.  Its now 2 years without adding a piece.  I just can't justify paying 10K for what is a B to C level piece from an artist I like.  Pretty much have to accept not buying covers and buying splash pages at 10K now.  I've actually gone 360 and started buying comics again over the past 2 years.  I think its going to be that one piece every 2-3 years that hits a lot of wants and pony up the 20K.  The days of impulse buying 2-5K pieces are gone as what you can get for that much these days doesn't trigger any impulses to buy.

I thought the Adams HOM Cover was also something I could have seen owning at that price but I'm a big BA Horror Fan.

2c

Edited by jbud73

28 minutes ago, vodou said:

Now you're just playing games...the example I was responding to was one that realized poorly.

If you plan on keeping for life or so long that "return" calculation is nigh immaterial...who cares? Certainly not me!

My collection is probably 90% things that did not double (nevermind triple) in the last 5 years. Nor were any of them ever meant to. It is a collection after all.

Not playing games, but not reading this thread as carefully as you. I was just responding to the specific line I quoted, not within the parameters of purely buying and SELLING, and targeting maximum returns. If that's the only context here, my bad.

But as far as valuation being immaterial on keepers and who cares? I certainly DO care! "Keepers" is a relative term. I'm certainly not keeping my art FOREVER, and I absolutely get pleasure out of rising values for art I enjoy having in my collection even if my sell horizon is 20 years out or more! No disgrace in that IMHO. I'm also less and less a buyer these days, so rising prices are not the huge concern in ADDING to my collection as they used to be. 

1 hour ago, jbud73 said:

Given what other stuff went for, I thought the BWS Conan panels were actually pretty reasonable for what was depicted on the panels and how many included CONAN.  They were the only 2 things I bid on and was outbid as well.  Its now 2 years without adding a piece.  I just can't justify paying 10K for what is a B to C level piece from an artist I like.  Pretty much have to accept not buying covers and buying splash pages at 10K now.  I've actually gone 360 and started buying comics again over the past 2 years.  I think its going to be that one piece every 2-3 years that hits a lot of wants and pony up the 20K.  The days of impulse buying 2-5K pieces are gone as what you can get for that much these days doesn't trigger any impulses to buy.

I thought the Adams HOM Cover was also something I could have seen owning at that price but I'm a big BA Horror Fan.

2c

That Adams House of Mystery 178 cover reflects one of the most disturbing stories I read as a kid, "The Game." Great purchase by someone, in my opinion.

Edited by Chris Cooper
Spelling

9 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Not playing games, but not reading this thread as carefully as you. I was just responding to the specific line I quoted, not within the parameters of purely buying and SELLING, and targeting maximum returns. If that's the only context here, my bad.

Okay, that's fair :foryou:

I wear many hats when I post, different hats for different posts.

It's very easy for me to slip into dealer mode, as I am a dealer of art, but not comic art and post as such. Similarly, it's also very easy for me to slip into collector hat, as I'm a collector too, and post from that pov.

28 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

But as far as valuation being immaterial on keepers and who cares? I certainly DO care! "Keepers" is a relative term. I'm certainly not keeping my art FOREVER, and I absolutely get pleasure out of rising values for art I enjoy having in my collection even if my sell horizon is 20 years out or more! No disgrace in that IMHO. I'm also less and less a buyer these days, so rising prices are not the huge concern in ADDING to my collection as they used to be. 

I guess where I was coming from is for keepers, it's somewhat academic what FMV is "now" if the horizon is even 20 years out (mine is: black hole/forever, so completely immaterial), as - if the market tanked hard, say, around 2032 (only 11 years) by 75% of whatever the value was the previous year...would you thus SELL asap? Or instead hold and "see what happens..." I suspect the latter, so then "today" really doesn't matter if even "11 years out" doesn't, right? I'm assuming your answers, not a great thing, but maybe my overall point is there? FMV only really matters the day you actually sell. The rest is false emotional roller-coaster. That said, I enjoy seeing my "collection" take on an extra zero every decade since I started collecting. (j/k)

3 hours ago, delekkerste said:

No :makepoint: 

The 3 BWS pages in yesterday's sale only sold for between $8,100 and $10,800 (and the latter page was so memorable that it was actually the only lot that I bid seriously on in this sale...but lost :cry:). That's a bounce from where pages had fallen to by the end of the 2010s, but, it's really only getting back to where many pages were selling in the early-to-mid 2010s. 

It's like I keep telling people:  "Nobody cares about Conan."*  :sorry: 

* except for an ever-shrinking part of the Boomers and early Gen Xers...anyone younger than me and you can forget it. 

Yep, a 25-35% bump (from depressed levels), which might not even get the BWS Conan market back to its previous high seen last decade, represents huge ongoing underperformance compared to the parabolic melt-up we're seeing in mainstream superhero art and other popular collectibles in 2020-21. 

Kinda surprised no Conan 23 Cover making its way into the collection.

3 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Umm... What the heck on the Jim Lee X-men page??? 33k for storm only????  And Actually X-men in general ?? I need to start collecting Superman ..:tonofbricks:

I know. I was really shocked by the result. I thought I must have missed a claws-out Wolverine hanging out in the background or something. It is a really nice page, but the prices are just going through the roof.