• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

April HA 2021
2 2

351 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, MGS said:

I know. I was really shocked by the result. I thought I must have missed a claws-out Wolverine hanging out in the background or something. It is a really nice page, but the prices are just going through the roof.

That's the "invisible claws out Wolverine" issue...he's in every panel, you just can't see him. 

4 hours ago, cloud cloddie said:

Of course the one piece I wanted today sold for about half my max, and I missed it because Heritage didn’t send me my text. Figures. meh

Sorry to hear it. I've had terrible luck with that, as well. Don't know if it's a systemic thing or what, but for one reason or another, I can't count on it. 

Edited by Legion of Goom

6 minutes ago, Bill C said:

Man, a lot of strong silver age DC sales. This stuff may be considered the red headed stepchild compared to Marvel, but apparently DC has been drinking it's milk and doing lots of push-ups behind closed doors.

The Wrightson ST page went higher than expected!

2 hours ago, comix4fun said:

That's the "invisible claws out Wolverine" issue...he's in every panel, you just can't see him. 

You know with Wolverine’s claws out premium, if I were the artist, I would bribe the writer to have Wolverine inflicted with the dreaded claws out virus. They would be  impossible to retract.

This would last through the entirety of my run, resolving on the last panel. Where Wolverine claws retract, “Looks like I’m over the claws out virus.. first round is on me, bub.”

21 minutes ago, gumbydarnit said:

You know with Wolverine’s claws out premium, if I were the artist, I would bribe the writer to have Wolverine inflicted with the dreaded claws out virus. They would be  impossible to retract.

This would last through the entirety of my run, resolving on the last panel. Where Wolverine claws retract, “Looks like I’m over the claws out virus.. first round is on me, bub.”

Joss Wheadon kinda did that in issue two of Astonishing X-Men but just for a page I think. Bonus is that I have the page! Time to ship it off to Heritage! :jokealert:

cassadayastonishingxmen2pg17.jpg.48086d779883e03176d604a3e4c747fb.jpg

Edited by GotSuperPowers?

51 minutes ago, gumbydarnit said:

Brilliant forethought!!

1 hour ago, Legion of Goom said:

Sorry to hear it. I've had terrible luck with that, as well. Don't know if it's a systemic thing or what, but for one reason or another, I can't count on it. 

Just to add salt to the wound, I did end up getting a text later. About an hour after the lot ended, and 50 lots after another lot I got a text about at the correct time. :tonofbricks:

I was willing to go higher, so I’m hoping I see it in the flip of the day thread soon. Lol

2 hours ago, Timely said:

The Wrightson ST page went higher than expected!

I thought it was going to go for around that amount. Remember another page just went recently in $40K+ range. I need one page for my collection. I was the underbidder (I think). It was a good page (lots of Swampy) but I really would rather have a bigger Swamp Thing and a few less panels. Maybe next time.

I also wanted the Ross Andru Amazing Spider-Man page. I liked the fact that Goblin was in it so I was willing to pay pretty high. But $26k when half the page is Flash being thrown out the window seemed like too much.

And Cockrum X-Men pages just seem to be increasing a couple grand a month.

I really believe there has to be a slow down coming on fairly soon unless..... there are just a few collectors out there scooping up a lot of this art. 

The challenge as a collector is that any good artist, drawing one of the more popular characters seems like $20k and up (which is just crazy).

I do expect to see more and more quality as prices rises. We will see if supply starts to bring the prices down (just slightly) on some of these types of pieces. 

22 minutes ago, sfilosa said:

I really believe there has to be a slow down coming on fairly soon unless..... there are just a few collectors out there scooping up a lot of this art. 

Nope. There will be a couple of shallow speed bumps along the way but basically all private assets will run hot into 2032.

1 hour ago, higradeguy said:
On 4/2/2021 at 8:17 PM, batman_fan said:

Wonder if there will be any interest in this piece coming up in the next HA auction

Expand  

What's the guesstimate on final sale price of this one?

Not sure about value on this. I love Wood, but don't follow this market as closely as others.

My question is, is this the Alpha and Omega of Wood covers? He did so many great ones, but I feel like this might be THE one. Would this be an accurate assessment?

Edited by stinkininkin

23 hours ago, mtlevy1 said:

I noted the same on the BWS pages that they did quite well but given the current market craziness a 25 - 35% bump isn't so much

If you read these boards regularly, you'd think that the market for BWS pages has been so bad that they're only fit for mulch.

14 hours ago, Timely said:

I had a chance to buy the Infinity Gauntlet page 2 months ago for WELL under 10k and I passed! I asked 2 dealers and 1 collector and no one valued it over $8k.

Where the hell did I leave my time machine?

My question would be why would any seller even consider selling except via auction now?  

9 hours ago, jbud73 said:

Given what other stuff went for, I thought the BWS Conan panels were actually pretty reasonable for what was depicted on the panels and how many included CONAN.  They were the only 2 things I bid on and was outbid as well.  Its now 2 years without adding a piece.  I just can't justify paying 10K for what is a B to C level piece from an artist I like

Jason!  What's up?!

And there's the crux of it.  While Gene may lament the weakness of BWS Conan interior panel pages, the fact is they're still going for 5-figures. 

Outside of this little bubble world that OA collectors are inhabiting, that's real money.