• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

April HA 2021
2 2

351 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Bill C said:

Man, a lot of strong silver age DC sales. This stuff may be considered the red headed stepchild compared to Marvel, but apparently DC has been drinking it's milk and doing lots of push-ups behind closed doors.

A big tide lifts all boats.

36 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

My question is, is this the Alpha and Omega of Wood covers? He did so many great ones, but I feel like this might be THE one. Would this be an accurate assessment?

Yes

3 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

My question is, is this the Alpha and Omega of Wood covers? He did so many great ones, but I feel like this might be THE one. Would this be an accurate assessment?

2 hours ago, tth2 said:

Yes

It should be, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Daredevil #7 cover were to bring more now.

On 4/2/2021 at 1:49 AM, Matches_Malone said:

Zecks Kravens Last Hunt page sold for $28,800 with the Juice. I just sold that piece for $7K during ComicArtLive Con back in October.

On 4/3/2021 at 4:34 AM, fsumavila said:

I knew the Larsen ASM splash would go big, but $50K is ...WOW. 

On 4/3/2021 at 9:21 AM, Lobstrosity said:

33k for Liefeld New Mutants page is a record for a Cable (as opposed to Deadpool) page as far as I know

On 4/3/2021 at 12:08 PM, tth2 said:

The Infinity Gauntlet #1 page reinforced that the floor price for panel pages with a strong Thanos image (and this one is excellent) is $20k.

17 hours ago, Timely said:

I had a chance to buy the Infinity Gauntlet page 2 months ago for WELL under 10k and I passed! I asked 2 dealers and 1 collector and no one valued it over $8k.

13 hours ago, MyNameIsLegion said:

WTF happened with that Richard Bennet X-Men page? $5K? The second page went for half that.

10 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Umm... What the heck on the Jim Lee X-men page??? 33k for storm only????

Seems like new money pouring into '80 & '90s OA ..... would certainly explain the recent 2x-3x price leaps and throwing out of valuation norms.

6 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Not sure about value on this. I love Wood, but don't follow this market as closely as others.

I don't do guesstimates but think the SSS # 6 is likely to smash previous records for a Woody EC cover.

To tie into Lee Benaka's efforts, the # 6 cover originally sold for $2.288 on March 30, 1983 in the Russ Cochran EC art auctions.  Pretty strong price for back then.  I bought two complete EC stories in the same auction, including one from # 6.

Edited by The Voord

8 hours ago, vodou said:

Nope. There will be a couple of shallow speed bumps along the way but basically all private assets will run hot into 2032.

There is likely to be a significant one when enough people have gotten vaccinated that they feel they can divert their spare funds to vacations, going out to dinner, etc. Let’s see if prices are still flying by the end of summer. 

7 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

What's magic about 2032?

We'd love to have you join CFA-APA. I will address the significance of 2032 in our very next mailing.

7 hours ago, grapeape said:

That’s the year after Vodou sells off his assetslol

Approximately correct, but not the art I love. That black hole tranche is both priceless and worthless.

However, add another zero to that 2nd run Cockrum X-Men result, make it common for most period examples and even my fortitude may waver lol 

7 hours ago, tth2 said:

My question would be why would any seller even consider selling except via auction now?  

Trade can still be appealing for specific things otherwise off-market, but private cash action unless sickeningly rich makes little sense.

When should we expect HA to 'improve' their comic art BP to 25%?

49 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

There is likely to be a significant one when enough people have gotten vaccinated that they feel they can divert their spare funds to vacations, going out to dinner, etc. Let’s see if prices are still flying by the end of summer. 

New money exuberance will overwhelm old money trepidation.

With Heritage, if you have to pay the 20% seller fee and the Buyer has to pay the 20% fee, that’s a lot of money taken away from the consignor. Any they charge sales tax, unlike a private sale or trade. Even if you use art to to pay for your winnings, they still charge sales tax. Of course dealers are tax exempt so they have an advantage in that respect.

2 hours ago, vodou said:

New money exuberance will overwhelm old money trepidation.

New money will be out getting vacations, dining, etc., too. 
Strangely, I saw an article about NFT art already dropping (strange since it didn’t even exist until recently, but not surprising). 

Pricing may stay up, because prices tend to be sticky downward even if sales volume drops (no one wants to give up phantom profits).

15 hours ago, higradeguy said:

What's the guesstimate on final sale price of this one?

The wood cover is classic, the highest price price recorded, it should really be in like the "Lucas" museum...amazing piece

Not everything went nuts. The X-men 2 page sold for not much more than it did a few years ago. The seller will net about a 1k profit. I had offered more privately a few months ago but was turned down.

31 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

Not everything went nuts. The X-men 2 page sold for not much more than it did a few years ago. The seller will net about a 1k profit. I had offered more privately a few months ago but was turned down.

So you bought it?

58 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

Assume no seller commission?

did the comic sessions have any service interruptions?   Both video game sessions, but especially today's have been a shytshow.    Extended technical difficulties.    There's been a 1.5 hr delay so far.

Edited by Bronty

3 minutes ago, Bronty said:

did the comic sessions have any service interruptions?   Both video game sessions, but especially today's have been a shytshow.    Extended technical difficulties.    There's been at least a 1 hour delay

Nothing that I saw from yesterday's sessions but earlier today I couldn't get on their site for a while.