• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

April HA 2021
2 2

351 posts in this topic

47 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Nothing that I saw from yesterday's sessions but earlier today I couldn't get on their site for a while.

started up for 10 minutes...... aaaaaaaaand down again.    This auction is messed up badly. 

19 hours ago, tth2 said:

Jason!  What's up?!

And there's the crux of it.  While Gene may lament the weakness of BWS Conan interior panel pages, the fact is they're still going for 5-figures. 

Outside of this little bubble world that OA collectors are inhabiting, that's real money. 

Hey Tim, not much, you? The end of civilization in CA and all that.  Seems like a long time since everyone last got together in SF, I had dinner with Jeff a few times last year though.  How are things across the Pacific treating you? 

Gene doesn't need any BWS interiors, he's got covers lol gotta leave something for the normal humans to buy.  Given how much the Buscema Interiors and Covers have risen, the BWS stuff seems almost free.  See how things trend, but as previously stated I haven't pulled the trigger on a piece in a few years of course the Perez market has been pretty barren and the Copper stuff is :screwy: so I'm back to buying HG Super Pressed DC Silver Age :baiting:

Hope all is well

J

19 hours ago, tth2 said:

And there's the crux of it.  While Gene may lament the weakness of BWS Conan interior panel pages, the fact is they're still going for 5-figures.going for 1/3rd the price of Liefeld X-Force and Larsen ASM pages

Outside Inside of this little bubble world that OA collectors are inhabiting, that's real money chump change. 

FTFY

On 4/3/2021 at 4:35 PM, jbud73 said:

Kinda surprised no Conan 23 Cover making its way into the collection.

Nah...the #23 is all about Red Sonja, but, she's not on the cover.  And if you want anything from the first 24 issues of Conan, you want BWS to have drawn it. :sumo: 

1 minute ago, delekkerste said:

Nah...the #23 is all about Red Sonja, but, she's not on the cover.  And if you want anything from the first 24 issues of Conan, you want BWS to have drawn it. :sumo: 

I havent been paying attention for a few years, is the 24 ownership known?

4 minutes ago, jbud73 said:

I havent been paying attention for a few years, is the 24 ownership known?

Yes, the cover & complete story are held by "diamond hands" and are not obtainable. 

6 hours ago, Bronty said:

did the comic sessions have any service interruptions?   Both video game sessions, but especially today's have been a shytshow.    Extended technical difficulties.    There's been a 1.5 hr delay so far.

I hope the 5 bidders haven't been overly inconvenienced.

3 hours ago, delekkerste said:
23 hours ago, tth2 said:

And there's the crux of it.  While Gene may lament the weakness of BWS Conan interior panel pages, the fact is they're still going for 5-figures.going for 1/3rd the price of Liefeld X-Force and Larsen ASM pages

Outside Inside of this little bubble world that OA collectors are inhabiting, that's real money chump change. 

FTFY

True, but life is really too short to get worked up over the fact that some people with too much money have terrible taste.

Take a look inside ex-Newcastle United Andy Carroll and his fiancee's  pink-themed home - Chronicle Live

Edited by tth2

3 hours ago, jbud73 said:

Seems like a long time since everyone last got together in SF 

Seems like a lifetime ago. :frown:

I had dinner with Jeff a few times last year though

(thumbsu

How are things across the Pacific treating you? 

Can't complain, there are worse places in the world to ride out the pandemic.  On the other hand, the problem with living in a city-state is that there's nowhere to go.

Gene doesn't need any BWS interiors, he's got covers lol gotta leave something for the normal humans to buy.  Given how much the Buscema Interiors and Covers have risen, the BWS stuff seems almost free. 

Yes, I'm still green with envy after seeing some items he brought for show and tell the last time I was in NYC.

The thing about the BWS interiors that have come on the market in recent years is they tend to come from the early issues, when he was still in his quasi-Kirby phase, and they seem to have lots and lots of panels, with not a whole lot of action.  Are we all remembering BWS through rose-colored glasses, or was Roy Thomas' writing a bigger contributor to our enjoyment of the BWS run than we realize?

so I'm back to buying HG Super Pressed DC Silver Age :baiting:

lol You can buy my old 9.4 B&B 28, now sitting in a 9.6 slab.  

23 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Not sure about value on this. I love Wood, but don't follow this market as closely as others.

My question is, is this the Alpha and Omega of Wood covers? He did so many great ones, but I feel like this might be THE one. Would this be an accurate assessment?

I think Weird Science 16 is its only rival, as that was the inspiration for the Mars Attack cards.

20 minutes ago, adamstrange said:
23 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Not sure about value on this. I love Wood, but don't follow this market as closely as others.

My question is, is this the Alpha and Omega of Wood covers? He did so many great ones, but I feel like this might be THE one. Would this be an accurate assessment?

I think Weird Science 16 is its only rival, as that was the inspiration for the Mars Attack cards.

Good point.

On 4/4/2021 at 10:02 AM, sfilosa said:

With Heritage, if you have to pay the 20% seller fee and the Buyer has to pay the 20% fee, that’s a lot of money taken away from the consignor. Any they charge sales tax, unlike a private sale or trade. Even if you use art to to pay for your winnings, they still charge sales tax. Of course dealers are tax exempt so they have an advantage in that respect.

I'm just splitting hairs at this point but, functionally speaking, the seller pays both their own fees and the "buyer's" premium. Calling it that is really a misnomer on Heritage's part IMO.

*That is, unless the seller is a big enough fish that they can negotiate better terms.

Example: a page hammers at $1k. It becomes $1.2k with BP. Heritage doesn't start the seller's gross proceeds at the $1.2k- it starts at the $1k prior to their selling fee being deducted. As a seller, I've already lost two hundred bucks of the actual proceeds of the auction before any of my own fees are calculated. If my selling fee rate is 20%, I'm netting $800 off of a $1200 sale (excluding taxes and shipping). My "20% seller's fee" actually results in me receiving 2/3 of the proceeds from the auction.

Edited by Legion of Goom
Added a line

12 hours ago, tth2 said:

hey laugh if you want but there's about 3m of this signature that will be games.   Its not a rounding error anymore.

36 minutes ago, Bronty said:
12 hours ago, tth2 said:

hey laugh if you want but there's about 3m of this signature that will be games.   Its not a rounding error anymore.

I know, but it's a hobby that's the equivalent of collecting file copies only.  None of these games ever made it into the wild.  It all seems to be unsold inventory.

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

I know, but it's a hobby that's the equivalent of collecting file copies only.  None of these games ever made it into the wild.  It all seems to be unsold inventory.

They're not comic books Tim.   Anything that made it to the end consumer is beat the eff up and usually missing parts.   Nobody, and I mean nobody paid $50 x number of games just to let them sit around unopened.   If that makes it uninteresting for you, that's fine but no need to be dismissive about it if others enjoy it right? 

Edited by Bronty