• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

April HA 2021
2 2

351 posts in this topic

It doesn't look like anyone has posted this so here you go (from HA):

Due to technical difficulties we are extending our April 4-5 Sunday & Monday Comics, Animation & Art Weekly Online Auction #122114 by a day for each session. With Comics taking place 6:00 PM CT tomorrow, Monday, April 5, and Comic Art, Animation Art and Memorabilia taking place 6:00 PM CT, Tuesday, April 6.

Also, it looks like the auction scheduled for Monday, April 5 has been bumped to April 6.

Edited by Will_K

30 minutes ago, vodou said:

I've mused privately, and now publicly, how long before games are broken out from comics? I think maybe a year?

Its already happened on the weeklies and been a successful transition, so I expect it will happen very shortly on the signatures too.   I wouldn't be surprised if the next signature is the last one that's bundled with comics.    Just a guess, but the winds are blowing strongly in that direction I think.    That being said I'm sure they have some things to work out internally in creating a new segment such as moving the historical data, etc.     

I expect it will be bundled with trading cards.     Your games, pokemon, MTG etc.    Same slightly younger crowd.

Edited by Bronty

Why split them? It grants exposure to new and old collectors of fields they might not see a lot of yet are still related. Maybe you generate cross interest and bids/sales you might not normally have had?

23 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Why split them? It grants exposure to new and old collectors of fields they might not see a lot of yet are still related. Maybe you generate cross interest and bids/sales you might not normally have had?

To make Tim happy, mostly.   :whatthe:

I suppose a minor additional consideration ;) would be making the categories more manageable and making comic people with no interest in games not have to sit through those auctions, and making games people with no interest in comics not have to sit through that.     

I agree that its fun and beneficial at the start but eventually it probably makes more sense to separate them, I should think.  

Besides, they've been planning it for a while, clearly.   The listings on the game stuff have, from day one, corresponded to a game category that didn't exist yet.  

Plus, you can see the slow movement in that direction.

Initially directly comingled with comics (same sessions, same catalog).

Then separate sessions with separate standalone catalogs.

Now separate weeklies.

Separate category and separate signatures seems like the next step.

Edited by Bronty

7 hours ago, Bronty said:
7 hours ago, zhamlau said:

To make Tim happy, mostly.   :whatthe:

lol

11 hours ago, cstojano said:

Anything comic related from 1999 sell for 408K like the Pokemon box set did? Serious question...

I can't imagine paying even five figures for almost anything comic related post 1985 or so.   I imagine many people are in the same boat.

Edited by Bronty

18 minutes ago, vodou said:

Broadly yes, but on this board - five figures is a regular occurrence. Less than $10k gets you very little.

Post 1985 Michael?   There aren't many books post 85 worth 10k......

Point being, comics past a certain date... I'm not sure they were read widely enough to "matter"... so I wouldn't expect 1999 anything in comics to ever hit the kind of numbers discussed re pokemon above.

Edited by Bronty

12 hours ago, cstojano said:

Anything comic related from 1999 sell for 408K like the Pokemon box set did? Serious question...

18 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Post 1985 Michael?   There aren't many books post 85 worth 10k......

Point being, comics past a certain date... I'm not sure they were read widely enough to "matter"... so I wouldn't expect 1999 anything in comics to ever hit the kind of numbers discussed re pokemon above.

Ultimate Fallout #4 cover sold for $225k. That might be the peak piece from 1999+. Seems wild to me that a box of Pokemon cards sold for almost double. I often wonder if the WATA VG and Pokemon sales are a sign of shifting tastes or an indicator that OA still has room to grow. Or maybe a little of both.

6 minutes ago, Varanis said:

Ultimate Fallout #4 cover sold for $225k. That might be the peak piece from 1999+. Seems wild to me that a box of Pokemon cards sold for almost double. I often wonder if the WATA VG and Pokemon sales are a sign of shifting tastes or an indicator that OA still has room to grow. Or maybe a little of both.

I meant retail items, but sure.   

I'm not sure if its shifting tastes so much as the kids that grew up with the illegible 90s garbage comics - books so bad you couldn't read them... guess what, they didn't read them.

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

I'm not sure if its shifting tastes so much as the kids that grew up with the illegible 90s garbage comics - books so bad you couldn't read them... guess what, they didn't read them.

Indeed the kids never even saw the comics, since the comics were at LCS and not the gas stations, supermarkets, drug stores, toy stores, and arcades frequented by kids. But Pokemon cards were.

2 hours ago, vodou said:

?

Oh who cares about those! We're in COMIC ART :) 

true.   I guess you saw my post in isolation without the context.   I agree... who cares about the newer books!

3 hours ago, RBerman said:

Indeed the kids never even saw the comics, since the comics were at LCS and not the gas stations, supermarkets, drug stores, toy stores, and arcades frequented by kids. But Pokemon cards were.

yeah exactly

19 minutes ago, Bronty said:

true.   I guess you saw my post in isolation without the context.   I agree... who cares about the newer books!

Ha ha...actually I saw the context that you ignored :) - related being the key word, thus inclusive of comic art.

5 minutes ago, vodou said:

Ha ha...actually I saw the context that you ignored :) - related being the key word, thus inclusive of comic art.

Yeah, but then that's not apples v apples.  

Comic related item sold at retail.   Better?