• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you buy anything from the Metropolis 50% off sales?

91 posts in this topic

The other raw copys I kept because they were not that expensive, but they were all overgraded also.

Same deal for me. I did a small "test sample" of Metro 9.0 to 9.8 Bronze books and these were all overgraded, but since the books weren't expensive and their return policy is pretty tight for Canucks, I just kept them all.

I still take out that FF 122 9.0 from time to time, look at the label and have a good laugh. grin.gif

I've bought quite a few back issues from you guys and I am very happy. I would love to buy that church batman #47. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif How would you do the time payments? Is there any chance of getting it cgc'd before I buy it? I trust your grading, but one tick down and it's a lot of money......(one tick up and I won't be able to afford it)...yours and superworld's grading are the only ones I've had consistent good results with.

For me it's simple have more scans in your gallery section .

How can you expect people to pay 200 / 300 dollars for a couple of comics without scans .

I realize Metro has thousands / millions of comics but if you want them to move forget 50 per cent off sales , expand the amount of scans .

i'm not into site unseen. I have just started getting back into the old stuff and so far besides a CGC from Nikos, i have only purchased from Doug and Ted Vanliew (well waiting to see if he has the issues left after baltimore smile.gif. I would definately like to see scans of any books i'm buying.

Vincent,

I get the emails, and thus far I haven't ordered anything. My most recent purchase from Metro was a year or two ago buying a Master of Kung Fu lot from them which was advertised to be 9.6/9.8 -- and you could tell it wasn't just by looking at them. But it was reasonable, so I bought the lot and I would say most of them were 9.4s or 9.6s (fine) but there were a few dinged books -- and that made it even more painful when a discount was tough to get.

The whole -- Metro doesn't discount mentality -- is a tough one to swallow. On 50% off, it's a large lot, where the grading tends to sometimes be spotty. And on low/mid grade, a lot of people perceive them to be deals that they can get anywhere at anytime, sometimes even cheaper. But not negotiating on many other books makes it difficult to deal with Metro now that there are so many other options. I see tons of books that I would love to buy from Metro and would ask to be brought to shows if I knew that when they were brought out, some flexibility would be had with regards to prices on 8.5s and 9.0s.

I like the efforts being made by Metro, and I think there have been many nice lots. As it stands right now though, the deals being offered are nice, but nothing that inspires me to buy.

Just want to also state that it's great that Metro is willing to solicit the opinions of the public. Kudos to Vince for being willing to do that.

Just want to also state that it's great that Metro is willing to solicit the opinions of the public. Kudos to Vince for being willing to do that.

I absolutely concur. It's very rare that you see a company soliticing the opinions of their key buying market in such a candid way. If Metro takes the criticisms and improves on their policies to actually benefit the buyer (which in turn builds a more solid consumer base, which really helps everyone), I'd be more than willing to do some business with them.

The interesting thing is, for me, if Metro is willing to come on and do this, it worthwhile to show them support and doing business with them just so they keep this up.

It's sort of the tact I'm taking with dealers now, reward the short list I will shop with:

Ted VanLiew

Harley Yee

Bob Storms

Chris Foss

Gary Platt

Al Stoltz (and Jeff Weaver)

Koop

Motor City

uh, that might be it -- add Metro on.

I guess that's a tiny bit bigger than I thought it would be.

The interesting thing is, for me, if Metro is willing to come on and do this, it worthwhile to show them support and doing business with them just so they keep this up.

It's sort of the tact I'm taking with dealers now, reward the short list I will shop with:

Ted VanLiew

Harley Yee

Bob Storms

Chris Foss

Gary Platt

Al Stoltz (and Jeff Weaver)

Koop

Motor City

uh, that might be it -- add Metro on.

I guess that's a tiny bit bigger than I thought it would be.

Now I just need website addresses or eBay names to go with that list and I'm all set.. thumbsup2.gif

Ted VanLiew: www.superworldcomics.com (email: lvanliew@aol.com)

Harley Yee: www.harleyyeecomics.com

Bob Storms: www.highgradecomics.com

Metropolis (Vincent Zurzolo/Steve Fischler): www.metropoliscomics.com

Al Stoltz: ebay id: basementcomics

Gary Platt (sells only at shows)

Koop: mostly shows, also www.koopscomics.com (old site though)

Chris Foss: www.heroesanddragons.com

Motor City Comics (Michael Goldman): ebay ID motorcitycomics

I'll add on Doug Schmell www.pedigreecomics.com

This is my short list for all things included, integrity, ease of transaction, willingness to negotiate and quality of stock among other things. These guys are truly some of the best.

I never see much mention of Gary Dolgoff. What's his service and grading like?

Thumbs up for Gary. thumbsup2.gif Tight grading, and great customer service. I love that his stock is not full of zillion dollar books. He sells comics for non-bluebloods, and bless 'em for it!

I've purchased from Metropolis before, but never the 50% off sale.

I don't think I received any emails regarding the sale either.

I'll be happy when you price the Supersnipe V2#2 (#1 on the cover) at or below guide. All the copies you have are priced at the more expensive V2#1 price levels and then have minor discounts, that still amount to paying over guide for books that I'm the only one looking for in America. (Metro P.M. me with a better price on any of the copies, preferrable the CGC copy and a low grade reader). I'll buy a copy off Ebay for 50% of guide if you don't. I've got time.

I'm pretty happy with Metro's golden age grading, but felt there were a few larger defects not noted on the books I ordered. I "needed" the books and didn't care too much (also didn't bring it up to Metro, so no complaints). I also picked up a true copy of V2#1 (harder to find copy) for a great price in my opinion.

Good service, and a huge selection of great golden age.

Yup, Metro will not be getting my business at any point between now and when hell freezes over (or when CGC release their Ewert investigation report, whichever is longer), and this is one of the reasons why.

They have a raw Avengers #93 listed at the moment at NM for $350. If it actually IS a 9.4, I'd be happy to pay the $350. However, there's no scan of the book and because the price is below the $500 'scan limit' (could they be any clearer on the whole '[embarrassing lack of self control] off non-BSD person' attitude?), I can't get a look at it.

Upon asking if I could get an image out of them, I was told that they wouldn't, but there was no need to worry as they had a great return policy.

But I'm in the UK and the thought of sending the book back and forth across the Atlantic, at some cost, does not appeal. Hell, it doesn't appeal to Vinny either, as he refuses to sell to the UK when he runs his own eBay auctions!!!

Well done, guys. I'm not Brulato, but in the last five years, I've spent over $375,000 on books.

None of which you'll be getting in the future due to your shoddy 'customer service'.