• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you buy anything from the Metropolis 50% off sales?

91 posts in this topic

but in the last five years, I've spent over $375,000 on books.

893whatthe.gifHoly Carp!!!!

I thought 15k I spent over the last 1 1/2years was alot.

I like/liked Metro, but after the last few orders, I have put a hold in my buying from them.

purchased last year raw. Submitted came back a glorious

Picture117.jpg

Like I said before, it will be a long while until I buy raw from Metropolis frustrated.gif

Looks about a 9.4, maybe try a re-submit on that one, no way does it look like a 9.6. I myself would have returned it when I first got it. But on a good grading day it should get the 9.4 (at least if the back looks nice)

Metro has several Nedors in the 8.0-8.5 range that I'd be interested in, but they're priced on average about 50% higher than the same books would go for on eBay or in a Heritage auction.

8.5s seem to be priced at about double guide, while elsewhere they sell for guide plus 25-40%.

They have every right to ask those prices, but I do end up looking elsewhere as a result.

To be fair, like any company's grading, there are going to be some discrepancies. I just received some books I ordered today, and a few were overgraded. I'm not freaking out -- I almost expect it. Some of them were spot on. It's going to happen from time to time with the overgrades.

I know it annoys people with the no scan policy, and frankly I think they are hurting their business when people ask for scans and they are told, no sorry, we won't do that. You want a $6 book scanned, okay, that's not going to happen -- but $375? They ought to scan that book for you.

On the scan suggestion, I would contact Vincent directly and voice your concerns. Perhaps with enough public persuasion, Metro will change that policy.

As for the pricing -- well, what can you say? Again, I disagree with some of the aspects of the pricing issues -- but -- y'know, the only solution is not to order from them -- but they are selling books -- so somebody's buying them.

Metro's got a ton of books $375+. They would literally be inundated with requests if they changed their policy. It could mean more business but it also means more time spent scanning. I guess that's what they have to weigh & evidently they see it the other way.

As for the Avengers 52, the buyer should be able to spot the difference between a 9.2 & 9.6. If you can't, then you need to learn. Some lessons in life are costly.

As for the Avengers 52, the buyer should be able to spot the difference between a 9.2 & 9.6. If you can't, then you need to learn.

I would say the same of Metro, especially since comics are their BUSINESS.

Metro's got a ton of books $375+. They would literally be inundated with requests if they changed their policy. It could mean more business but it also means more time spent scanning. I guess that's what they have to weigh & evidently they see it the other way.

Ok....but how long does it take dig up a book and throw it on the scanner? I assume Metro's filing system is pretty competent....so what are we talking about here? 10 minutes? 20 minutes if a book is a little tougher to get to?

Seems like even at 20 minutes a scan, which would be extremely generous in terms of time, that $400 is pretty good coin for the time invested. Granted, you won't sell every time, but if one person is asking about a book then a lot of others are probably thinking about it too, and you can at least now throw that scan up on the site, so it's not time wasted. Plus, if the number of scans requested that result in no sales are so high, then perhaps that is a sign that a tightening up in terms of grading is in order.

As for the Avengers 52, the buyer should be able to spot the difference between a 9.2 & 9.6. If you can't, then you need to learn.

Books can be overgraded or damaged in storage or handling. The buyer can return if not satisfied.

Books can be overgraded or damaged in storage or handling. The buyer can return if not satisfied.

Sure, assuming you're in the US, as myself and FT are not.

Plus, I'm sick oif buying over-graded drek. I buy from other dealers like Bob Storms, Doug Sulipa and Superworld and have no problems. I buy from forum members and have virtually no issues. I buy from Metro and get a pile of over-graded dross.

Do the math.

in other words, the dealer can make up any grade they want without a picture, charge 8-10 to ship the book and it's up to the buyer to determine if they have been taken? if not just kiss the $10 bucks + the return shipping and go on?

I would rather deal with the other forumites who send me a scan, grade straight on, are polite, pack professionally at a good rate and offer a refund/trade if not happy....

Quote:

Quote:

893whatthe.gif

the buyer should be able to spot the difference between a 9.2 & 9.6. If you can't, then you need to learn. Some lessons in life are costly.

Very harsh statement

the buyer should be able to spot the difference between a 9.2 & 9.6. If you can't, then you need to learn. Some lessons in life are costly.

Very harsh statement

I agree but what can Metro do? There's no way they can refund shipping costs, obviously. They can provide large scans for more books, I guess, but if a 9.6 metro-graded book comes back at a 9.2 should the buyer be reimbursed? I don't think so.

CGC grading is subjective as is all comic grading. Yeah, Metro should stand behind their grading and perhaps conform to tighter grading practices but then they lose money. By stating a book is a 7.5 (when it is probably a 6.5 by CGC standards) they can charge more. This isn't new, folks...comic dealers have been doing this for as long as I've collected comics (~15 years). That's why dealing with people that are collectors and not dealers will yield you a better deal 99% of the time.

I thought that it could possibly eek out a 9.4 but I knew that it would not get a 9.6.

As a Canadian purchaser the return on Metropolis comics is to tight unless you ship it on your own dime EX. Fedex etc. Worth while on really pricey comics but not cost efficient on lesser. I have submitted appx 100 comics my self to CGC so I consider myself not a bad grader. I think the ones that should know how to grade are companies like Metropolis etc.

As for the Avengers 52, the buyer should be able to spot the difference between a 9.2 & 9.6. If you can't, then you need to learn. Some lessons in life are costly.

It was late Vinny will most likely respond tomorrow. As far as Metros grading they seem to overgrade by at least one grade. Well at least that was what i experienced. Harley Yee is the worst as he sells you raw stuff unrestored that comes back restored and is overgraded always by at least one grade.

Also anyone that states they are happy with buying a book at a 9.6 grade is paying through the nose so if it comes back a 9.4 you just lost alot of money.

The guy that paid 150 for a 9.6 Avengers book now has a 25.00 9.2 book.

To me that sucks.

Looking at the Avengers #52 in question (I have no recollection of grading this book - I'm just looking at the scan). Can anyone spot any defects on this book? Compare this book at a silver age CGC 9.2 in a Heritage auction. Does anyone see a difference? I'm not talking about another 9.2 graded four years ago. I'm talking about recent 9.2's. I picked a similar book at random from the current Heritage auction - a 9.6 Avengers #64. Do yourself a favor. Compare the scan of this Avengers #52 9.2 to the scan of the Heritage Avengers #64 9.6. The #52 appears to be a higher grade.

You guys are staring at the label. Wouldn't it be a better idea to look at the actual book? Isn't the book a pretty good indication of the grade.

I sold a CGC 9.6 copy of this book last month. IMO, the book that got graded 9.2 was nicer. No surprise there. Nothing surprises me anymore.

Steve

CGC needs stricter grading. Alot of the books I have seen the last month or so should not be graded 9.6 or 9.8.

I think it is really bad for the industry if CGC doesnt follow the grading guideline. From 9.4 and up a book should have four sharp corners. The only time I would give a little would be on the Giants on the spine. Does anyone else agree?