• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you buy anything from the Metropolis 50% off sales?

91 posts in this topic

I find Metropolis to be one of the straightest shooters in the business. If you have a problem with a book you purchase, call them and tell them and they'll work it out with you. What's the problem with that?

Of course grading is part art -- but frankly, the grading on CGC books goes through "stages" of strict and loose, thus guaranteeing that all CGC 9.x's are not created equal!

I don't believe CGC has gone through "stages" of strict and loose, unless the stages in question change day to day, week to week. Over the last 5 years I've submitted close to a thousand books to CGC in 25-book lots, more or less continually going back to day one of CGC's operation and have never noticed big swings in the grades of whole batches of books over time. As Steve alludes to above, there's inconsistency in CGC's grades compared to mine in just about every submittal, but "red labels are stricter", or "late 2003 is looser"...I've never seen it. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think there's a lot of dealers who disagree with you Banner about the "no swings". In fact, a lot of collectors do as well. I'd guess you were in the minority of the "no swings in grading" thought, but quite honestly, it doesn't really change the point I was making.

This morning I sent a pm to Metropolisent to remove me from there e-mail and want list etc. and this was his response.

That was done two days ago

So I guess the moral of the story is he asks how there grading is you respond and if it's not favourable then your are banished.

Metropolisent don't take this as a response think of it more as a metaphorical bird.

Go "Ewert" your self and when your finished give "Ed" a dirty Sanchez

I'm not sure I love that response from Metro, and I would hope Steve and/or Vinny would respond to that issue.

That said, I have been very, very vocal and critical of Metro's pricing and grading at times, and I have to tell you Vincent is still talking to me, and he hasn't ostracized me in any way.

I bought a WWBN 33 in NM 9.4 a year ago(when I was just getting back in and wasn't too confident in the newer grading game) and it had a gigantic tape pull right in the middle of the book. Didn't send it back(I was new and didn't know much check out my recent Marvel auctions for proof - - bought 'em all as 9.4s). Nothing against Metropolis personally, but I only get burned once.

This morning I sent a pm to Metropolisent to remove me from there e-mail and want list etc. and this was his response.

So I guess the moral of the story is he asks how there grading is you respond and if it's not favourable then your are banished.

Metropolisent don't take this as a response think of it more as a metaphorical bird.

Once again, THE WHEELS WERE IN MOTION!! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Once again, THE WHEELS WERE IN MOTION!!

It was my decision to pm Metropolisent and ask to be removed from there companies list. So with there "that was done two days ago" response it really didn't hurt my feelings but it did bring up the question of what did I do two days ago that would warrent one of America's largest comic dealers to bannish me.

If you check the time line of this post and my previous statements before the metaphorical bird, I think any non pompous dealer may have pm'd me or e-mailed me for a normal dialogue.

I have spent appx 2 thousand dollars ,and I was still prepared to spend more even after the Avengers 52. I "was" pleased with there customer service and there shipping etc. But I was not pleased with there raw grading . Also I don't mind being proven wrong, if the Avengers 52 would have come back 9.4 9.6 or 9.8 I would have shown that also.

Will every comic you purchase raw 9.4 or the Metropolisent invented 9.6 grade come back graded from CGC that or higher. No way I have purchased other comics from other dealers who some time don't make the stated mark either. And neither does my grading make the mark And I do understand that grading is a art and not exact.

And as for the Want list issue, they already sold me two 9.6 copys, If they could have notified me and said that I reached my "limit" and it was company policy that your are only allowed to purchase x amount of copys of the same comic, I would understand. But to just flippantly say that we sold the last one to another customer even though you have a want list, just negates the point of having a want list.

So far I have only had two bad experiences in my comic collecting, the burn I got from Mr. no creamers and the unwarrented premature banishment from Metropolis. So I guess the WHEELS ARE IN MOTION and those wheels will be me giving my business to all of the great people that I have met in the hobby so far and not looking back at a company that does not have tact or integrity and obviously customer retention.

27_laughing.gifpopcorn.gif