• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

KING ARTHUR directed by Zack Snyder (TBD)
1 1

20 posts in this topic

Zack Snyder is developing a retelling of the King Arthur legend.

"I'm working on something but we'll see," the director told I Minutemen. "I've been thinking about some kind of retelling, like real sort of faithful retelling, of that Arthurian mythological concept. We'll see, maybe that will come at some point."

This isn't the first time Snyder has shown interest in the King Arthur story – in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Bruce Wayne and his parents leave a theater showing John Boorman's Excalibur.

The King Arthur legend has been adapted into plenty of other movies, with the most recent Hollywood spin on the story being Guy Ritchie's King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, starring Charlie Hunnam and Jude Law. There's also Antoine Fuqua's King Arthur, which featured an all-star cast including Keira Knightley, Clive Owen, Mads Mikkelsen, Joel Edgerton, Stellan Skarsgård, and Ray Winstone, and Monty Python's more humorous take on the tale in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. A24 also has an Arthurian adaptation on the way with The Green Knight starring Dev Patel.

There's plenty of source material to draw from, so it'll be intriguing to see what version of the legend Snyder settles on. It's not surprising to learn that he has an interest in a King Arthur retelling – the director tackled the historical epic 300, based on Frank Miller and Lynn Varley's comic book series of the same name.

It sounds like the Arthur project is in the very early stages, though, so don't hold your breath for Snyder's take on the legendary king to arrive anytime soon. The good news is Zack Snyder's Justice League is hitting HBO Max this March 18, 2021, so we don't have long to wait for more of the director's work. In fact, it's a four hour-long film, which should be more than enough to tide you over until his next project, Army of the Dead, releases on Netflix sometime this year. In the meantime, check out our guide to 2021's movie release dates.

When he says "faithful retelling", what does he mean? Mallory's version, T.H. White's version (which was most notably adapted by Disney in The Sword in the Stone), the weird, convoluted medieval mishmash of legends? Or is he gonna try and tell the "historical" Arthur, who was most likely nothing more than a 5th century warlord in post-Roman Britain (this is the one that sounds most like what he tends towards, but is also the least "Arthurian" in the popular mind)? These are all pretty distinct stories.

2 minutes ago, bpc3qh said:

When he says "faithful retelling", what does he mean? Mallory's version, T.H. White's version (which was most notably adapted by Disney in The Sword in the Stone), the weird, convoluted medieval mishmash of legends? Or is he gonna try and tell the "historical" Arthur, who was most likely nothing more than a 5th century warlord in post-Roman Britain (this is the one that sounds most like what he tends towards, but is also the least "Arthurian" in the popular mind)? These are all pretty distinct stories.

Have to agree there are so many sources and investigations into if he was truly myth or legend. Which do you lean in on as your source?

Even the Antoine Fuqua 'King Arthur' used the Roman mercenaries influence. which I enjoyed.

kingarthur.png.b302f387c11650beae596fffc0302af5.png

Then there is the mythology side of things, which I also loved.

excalibur.png.2b5152521ccc2cc01d899b514e011728.png

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Have to agree there are so many sources and investigations into if he was truly myth or legend. Which do you lean in on as your source?

White's novel is one of my favorite books, period, and Disney really only adapted the first part--the entire series is magnificent (and is itself an adaptation of Mallory); I'd be very interested to see it given a true adaptation with a focus on Mallory's broader themes. Admittedly, that doesn't seem like Snyder's wheelhouse, though--the Roman version would seem to fit better, especially if he's using words like "faithful retelling" of the legend.

9 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

BvS is the closest we'll get to an adaptation for this. I was mostly satisfied.

I don’t know, Snyder has stated he wants to do a live adaptation of DKR and that it’s his dream project. He just needs a few green lights from DC and whatever studio is interested.

1 minute ago, Oddball said:

He’s said it before and again as recently as a couple of months ago.

https://screenrant.com/dark-knight-returns-batman-movie-zack-snyder/

Imagine a ripped 60-year old Batfleck coming out of retirement to actually go the distance? lol Then, you could be like, "well he almost went there in BvS!"

3 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Imagine a ripped 60-year old Batfleck coming out of retirement to actually go the distance? lol Then, you could be like, "well he almost went there in BvS!"

Dark Knight Returns would have to be a one shot deal away from any DCEU that may be planned. And this guy would be perfect!

89BB8659-9D12-4730-9176-02AB4BA44DD5.jpeg

On 2/16/2021 at 1:13 PM, bpc3qh said:

They have to do Mallory and expose the poisonous relationship between Lancelot and him

On 2/16/2021 at 12:13 PM, bpc3qh said:

Hellboy Mignola version!

3 hours ago, bpc3qh said:

Wait...what? I thought he was doing a "faithful" retelling, and the Gold Rush is...not that.

I wasn't sure where that was going either.

But recognizing he is a huge fan of the Excalibur movie, for now I'm not getting worried. He may be bringing portions of the story to more modern times. Like a Camelot 3000 set during the Gold Rush. Arthur being reborn.

7 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

But recognizing he is a huge fan of the Excalibur movie, for now I'm not getting worried. He may be bringing portions of the story to more modern times. Like a Camelot 3000 set during the Gold Rush. Arthur being reborn.

I guess so? It just seems weird is all. Whatever, I'll certainly wait for the trailer/more concrete info before I make too much of a conclusion.

15 minutes ago, bpc3qh said:

I guess so? It just seems weird is all. Whatever, I'll certainly wait for the trailer/more concrete info before I make too much of a conclusion.

Hey, I get it. The comment threw me for a moment as Gold Rush and King Arthur never end up in the same sentence.

Zack Snyder though is a huge fan of the 1981 movie. :wishluck:

In an interview with the Movies That Changed My Life podcast, Snyder opened up about why he set the film in the Old West. Reflecting on the Arthurian legend's British roots and his American roots, Snyder described the thought process as trying to find a bridge between the two worlds. Read what Snyder had to say below:

"My thesis was, when I was working on this idea, that I tried to take Arthurian legend, which is literally the mythology of another people. Like, I'm not English, and so I-- but I love that mythological story. And so I thought, oh, what if I superimpose it over the American West, and just try and make it like the mythology of America? Or, frankly, the mythology that I grew up with, and see if I can't make those things work, you know."