DC being cheap and wanting art scan for free?
1 1

60 posts in this topic

On 2/16/2021 at 7:21 PM, faust1104 said:

Yes. I find this rather strange too. Maybe someone just want to make prints of the cover to sell them.

The sender call himself Andy Mangels.

Does that ring a bell?

 

Andy is someone who started Wonder Woman Day and I used to correspond with him occasionally back then. He is good people.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, the blob said:

huh? Isn't it just one of many potential images they'd like to use or do they want to put every perez cover in?

it is george perez's IP though. which i assume DC owns (I don't know what their arrangement is). it is not the OPs work. it is actually a violation of copyright law for you to take a photograph of the perez page and sell the image without perez or DC's permission. you have a derivative right to control the image that you generated, but you don't own the image per se and have absolutely no right to license it without the underlying owner's permission. honestly, the only reason you can display the image on CAF is that there is a general fair use exception in copyright law that usually allows you to display the image of a physical object you own even if you don't own the underlying IP

 

All I'm saying is if everybody turned them down they wouldn't have a book. Why should a company make money using something you own, that's probably cost you a lot, without paying for it? I've currently got two disputes with two companies who thought they could use my work for free. Although based in the UK, one picture is registered in the US, so they'll end up paying big style for their "mistake".

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lorne.T said:

All I'm saying is if everybody turned them down they wouldn't have a book. Why should a company make money using something you own, that's probably cost you a lot, without paying for it? I've currently got two disputes with two companies who thought they could use my work for free. Although based in the UK, one picture is registered in the US, so they'll end up paying big style for their "mistake".

It is different than your own original photo. Your scan of the page is a possibly derivative work. You have no right to license it without the permission of the underlying copyright owner. While your CAF scan might be a derivative work, frankly, I question whether it would receive its own copyright protection. Reading this circular from the copyright office, I actually wouldn't assume you have any IP rights in your CAF scan: https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ14.pdf   If you did something that added to or transformed the image, perhaps. But yeah, if they need something better than the CAF image, you doing work to get them a better image ought to get you some compensation. Time is money.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2021 at 3:36 PM, batman_fan said:

 

It is the same with Amazon trying to get people to leave reviews and answer questions for free.  People tend to do it because they want to be helpful but ultimately you are an unpaid employee of Amazon.

Or Twitter, FB, Instagram, etc. You aren't the customer, you are the product.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, the blob said:

It is different than your own original photo. Your scan of the page is a possibly derivative work. You have no right to license it without the permission of the underlying copyright owner. While your CAF scan might be a derivative work, frankly, I question whether it would receive its own copyright protection. Reading this circular from the copyright office, I actually wouldn't assume you have any IP rights in your CAF scan: https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ14.pdf   If you did something that added to or transformed the image, perhaps. But yeah, if they need something better than the CAF image, you doing work to get them a better image ought to get you some compensation. Time is money.

I don't have anything on CAF, so no issues there. I'm talking in general, mentioning my current case with a US company using my work unauthorised, that will pay way more than had they asked, as the work is copyrighted in the States. My comment is a general one concerning anyone that helps out a company that's going to make money from what you've given them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Lorne.T said:

I don't have anything on CAF, so no issues there. I'm talking in general, mentioning my current case with a US company using my work unauthorised, that will pay way more than had they asked, as the work is copyrighted in the States. My comment is a general one concerning anyone that helps out a company that's going to make money from what you've given them.

ok, the OP has the image up on CAF. I don't even know if he took that scan. But I guess they want a better one for any book. 

anyway, do any of the experts here know if they actually make money on something like this? in theory i guess they must hope to make a little bit, otherwise, why do it?

so IDW does these DC artist editions?? https://www.idwpublishing.com/product-category/art-books/art-books-artist-edition/dc-comics/

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2021 at 9:34 PM, Michael Browning said:

 

Now, I loved seeing my commission on the cover of a comic and it didn't hurt that the value went up considerably now that it was a published Steranko cover.

Nice! I'd take my commission becoming a cover over getting a comp every time!

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, the blob said:

ok, the OP has the image up on CAF. I don't even know if he took that scan. But I guess they want a better one for any book. 

anyway, do any of the experts here know if they actually make money on something like this? in theory i guess they must hope to make a little bit, otherwise, why do it?

so IDW does these DC artist editions?? https://www.idwpublishing.com/product-category/art-books/art-books-artist-edition/dc-comics/

 

 

Most comic art collectors I know help with these artist editions because they want to see them published, want to be of assistance, have an existing friendship with someone at the publishing house or to see their name in a published book.

I don’t know a single contributor who ever wants payment for their scan (other than reimbursement for high-dollar scans) - as in getting a cut of the profits-type payday.

Yes, these companies make money from these books. They’re expensive to produce, but they do make a lot of money, especially when they go into multiple printings and then get released in a trade paperback format like some have done.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

Most comic art collectors I know help with these artist editions because they want to see them published, want to be of assistance, have an existing friendship with someone at the publishing house or to see their name in a published book.

I don’t know a single contributor who ever wants payment for their scan (other than reimbursement for high-dollar scans) - as in getting a cut of the profits-type payday.

Yes, these companies make money from these books. They’re expensive to produce, but they do make a lot of money, especially when they go into multiple printings and then get released in a trade paperback format like some have done.

I agree with this. Seeing your art elevated and viewed is reward enough. Having your name in print is great. Getting paid would be the least motivating factor for me as well. I wouldn't decline if offered but it would not stop me from donating art if not offered. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

While not giving legal advice it seems like they could just snag the CAF scan and the OP likely doesn't have a claim. But my guess is that the CAF scan is not high quality enough. These are problems I will never have as I don't think I own a coffee table book worthy piece of OA. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, the blob said:

While not giving legal advice it seems like they could just snag the CAF scan and the OP likely doesn't have a claim. But my guess is that the CAF scan is not high quality enough. These are problems I will never have as I don't think I own a coffee table book worthy piece of OA. 

Scans have to be at least 600dpi color TIFFs, which are HUGE scans. The scans on CAF aren't even close enough to that resolution to use in a book.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Years ago, CB Cebulski emailed me through CAF looking for high-res scans for one of the Marvel Masterworks books.  There were some requirements (resolution, sent via dropbox, etc.) and I didn't have the gear to do it myself.  Which meant I was going to have to use a good copy/print shop, not just some FedEx/Kinkos.  Since I was going to have to shell out a few bucks to do this, I asked for a comp. of the book.  I was told that there wasn't budget for it, blah, blah, blah...in short, no.  I still decided to do it, I take responsibility for that choice, and it wasn't like it was expensive to do.  But, yeah, a little something would've been nice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2021 at 9:34 PM, Michael Browning said:

Marvel credited me in the Miracleman Book 3: Olympus hardcover reprint when I supplied art for the extras section.

However, a few years ago, Steranko drew an amazing Captain America commission for me and when it came time for Cap's 75th anniversary, I reached out to Tom Brevoort and asked him if Marvel would be interested in using my Steranko commission as a variant cover. Tom said they would, but Steranko would have to give approval and he and Marvel weren't speaking at the time, but if I could get him to agree, they would publish it as a variant cover. I asked Jim and he was gracious and agreed to talk with Marvel. It almost didn't happen, but everyone kept working toward a compromise that would rebuild the bridge between Marvel and Jim and would allow Marvel to use the commission - and 11 others that Jim would supply - for the 75th anniversary. After the deal nearly fell through a couple times and the impasse got worse for awhile, Marvel and Steranko reached a deal and my commission and nine other pieces he'd drawn were used (I don't think they ever used the full 12 commissions). I didn't received a single  comp copy, nor did I get a mention in the comic on which my cover appeared -- Black Panther #5. I ended up having to buy my own copy of the comic.

Now, I loved seeing my commission on the cover of a comic and it didn't hurt that the value went up considerably now that it was a published Steranko cover.

Same here, I was credited in the Miracleman hardcovers for the art I contributed.  That was nice to see.  Also, I only supply art if credited in the book and also given a comp copy.  It is only fair.  They need the art.  I don't need the book.  Seems we hold the cards.  And, excuse me, but they are going to sell and market the book so let's not have them cry poverty.

I will say I had one bad experience that was an accident it seems.  I supplied a lot of art for the MM IDW oversized edition, and they even used my cover to MM 14 as the cover - yet they forget to send me a comp AND they forgot to credit me.  So, they used it for the cover and then F'd up.  I wasn't happy.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not an artist, just a fan.  I have never asked for payment, comps or credit, though I have often received a complimentary copy and credit.

I view my tiny contributions as the only way I have to express my thanks to the many artists who have given me such enjoyment and who received far less than they deserve.  I don't think anyone is making their fortune off of these books, so I don't feel particularly exploited. Just my 2c

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, heartened said:

Same here, I was credited in the Miracleman hardcovers for the art I contributed.  That was nice to see.  Also, I only supply art if credited in the book and also given a comp copy.  It is only fair.  They need the art.  I don't need the book.  Seems we hold the cards.  And, excuse me, but they are going to sell and market the book so let's not have them cry poverty.

I will say I had one bad experience that was an accident it seems.  I supplied a lot of art for the MM IDW oversized edition, and they even used my cover to MM 14 as the cover - yet they forget to send me a comp AND they forgot to credit me.  So, they used it for the cover and then F'd up.  I wasn't happy.

 

I had the EXACT same problem with the MM IDW edition. EXACT. No credit and no comp copy. I refused to buy a copy and traded off the MM art.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In the case of the Wrightson IDW edition, I submitted a Swamp Thing page and was credited in the book for it and received a comp copy, but strangely enough they used a far lesser page in place of mine (and mine was the key first appearance of M’Nagalah half-splash).

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've mentioned on these boards before- the Marvel Panini (sp) publisher took lots of my scans off CAF for two different (fairly well put together!) Spanish GOTG hardcover compilation books. I do put large scans on CAF- obviously the scan quality wouldn't be high enough for an 11" x 17" art book, but the Spanish book's pages were basically comic size and they put a few scans on each page, so they were reprinted smaller.

I was never notified, never got a comp copy... but in at least one of the volumes- the second one I think- they did throw my name in there as crediting the artwork from me/my collection.

I was picking up copies for myself and the artist, just cause we like foreign editions- imagine my surprise when I open the book and see lots of my scans, lol. Same thing when volume 2 came out, double shock though as I saw my name there. I loved that series, so just seeing my name in print associated with it was really cool.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1