• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1950s war comics
6 6

205 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Dr. Love said:

I'll take Artists Very Hard to Credit for $100, Alex

Who is...Chuck Miller?

That seems to be the consensus, but I'll readily admit to not being familiar enough with him to weigh in either way.  What about 17?  

And here's some more hammer and sickle for ya.  

battle 11.jpg

battle 25.jpg

3 hours ago, buttock said:

One of the all time best stories inside that one about the dog.  

I had to dig it out to remind myself. The use of the dog is very effective emotional manipulation by Kurtzman. Those TFT issues were certainly bleak in tone and, compared to many other war titles, pretty seditious in terms of undermining senitiment for the war.

14 minutes ago, AJD said:

I had to dig it out to remind myself. The use of the dog is very effective emotional manipulation by Kurtzman. Those TFT issues were certainly bleak in tone and, compared to many other war titles, pretty seditious in terms of undermining senitiment for the war.

It's the realism in the war books that makes me like them so much.  So many of the contributors had been to war they weren't willing to let it go as jingoistic fantasy.  

21 minutes ago, buttock said:

Stunner of a copy Bob!  Pedigree?

I have had it since the mid 1970's when I was collecting censhorship books. It was used in Parade of Pleasure. I can't really remember but I suspect it could be a Mile High. I bought a large group from Chuck when he first brought out the collection and thought this could be one of them. I showed it to AdamStrange when he visited me. He took a sniff and thought it probably wasn't. It smells about the same as a bunch of others that I know for sure are. So, just not sure.

On 2/17/2021 at 12:12 AM, buttock said:

Without rambling too much, the war books of the 1950s are completely different than those of the WWII era, and that, IMO, justifies a thread on its own merit. 

Ramble just a little Buttock, for the benefit of those of us who weren't even alive when they were being produced - what makes them so different do you think? :popcorn:

1054757462_FightinMarines26(Vol.1)August1958(25c).thumb.jpg.2b550048eeace3d3509e5b443dc437a3.jpg