• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1950s war comics
6 6

205 posts in this topic

On 2/16/2021 at 4:12 PM, buttock said:

The boards have a GA section and SA section, but the 1950s stuff kinda gets stuck in between.  The GA war thread is too nonspecific and the SA war thread tends to be late DC centric.  But as much as any other genre, the 1950s were a war comic era.  Without rambling too much, the war books of the 1950s are completely different than those of the WWII era, and that, IMO, justifies a thread on its own merit.  So without further ado, let's get it going boys and girls.  

I'll start with one of my favorite books, just because it's so over the top.  If you've ever read this title it's absolutely ridiculous.  Just over the top fantastical machismo.  But issue 3 really takes the cake with the "Die, you commie rats!  Die!" quote.  @comick1 turned me on to this book way back in the mid 1990s and it took me over 15 years to find a high-grade copy.  

bill battle 3.jpg

That is KILLER nice, Dan! Love that book more than life itself. Yours is definitely a nicer copy than mine, too.
Great find, sir!

15 hours ago, adamstrange said:

That one appears to be a marriage. Possibly one of the Press proof covers that Berkeley collector Ray Storch found in the late 1970’s. I bought a lot of them and married some. I know he and others did the same thing. 

25 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

I picked up some OA by Ayers yesterday, signed and dated from 1955. It looks like he drew it for a friend or maybe a commission? I googled the name but came up empty. 

Whenever I think of Ayers, I think of Sgt Fury and the war comics he was doing in the 60s. This predates Fury by 7 or 8 years, but the similarities are striking.  The Cigar, and facial hair..  the path of destruction in his wake while presumably fighting for the greater good. 

I'll have to research to see if was drawing war comics in the mid 50s. I know he was doing Westerns and the original Ghost Rider. 

IMG_20210510_170002528.jpg

He was doing TONS of war books back then. This aite ... www.atlastales.com has a wealth of data and indexing .... but you need to bring a lunch. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

49 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

I picked up some OA by Ayers yesterday, signed and dated from 1955. It looks like he drew it for a friend or maybe a commission? I googled the name but came up empty. 

Whenever I think of Ayers, I think of Sgt Fury and the war comics he was doing in the 60s. This predates Fury by 7 or 8 years, but the similarities are striking.  The Cigar, and facial hair..  the path of destruction in his wake while presumably fighting for the greater good. 

I'll have to research to see if was drawing war comics in the mid 50s. I know he was doing Westerns and the original Ghost Rider. 

IMG_20210510_170002528.jpg

That's awesome.  As Jim pointed out, plenty of war stuff with Atlas.  Congrats on the pick up, that's a really neat item!  

57 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

He was doing TONS of war books back then. This aite ... www.atlastales.com has a wealth of data and indexing .... but you need to bring a lunch. GOD BLESS....

35 minutes ago, buttock said:

That's awesome.  As Jim pointed out, plenty of war stuff with Atlas.  Congrats on the pick up, that's a really neat item!  

Thanks guys! I've got some reading to do!!! 

I picked up my 8 year old son from school yesterday and we drove 3 hours round trip to get it. I've taken him on so many comic book related road trips in his life, it makes me wonder if he thinks this is just what "normal" people do. 

In any event, I'm really excited to own this! Now I need to convince my wife to let me hang it somewhere!! 

You'll find dozens of war books from Atlas. If you utilize the "CREATOR" subset and click on AYERS, (... There are hundreds of choices, in alphabetical order) you will find a chronological index of everything they know about every book he did for Atlas... and this will be War, Western, Romance, Horror, Jungle, and more. There will be some images too. GOD BLESS...

8 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

You'll find dozens of war books from Atlas. If you utilize the "CREATOR" subset and click on AYERS, (... There are hundreds of choices, in alphabetical order) you will find a chronological index of everything they know about every book he did for Atlas... and this will be War, Western, Romance, Horror, Jungle, and more. There will be some images too. GOD BLESS...

I'm going through it now. 

It's amazing how many pages these guys drew. 

2 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

I'm going through it now. 

It's amazing how many pages these guys drew. 

Some highlights in the War genre ... and Atlas is still my favorite, although by a slight margin only... would be Heath. Colan, Maneely, Severin. and many more. GOD BLESS...