• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art Day - Rip Kirby

2 posts in this topic

I’m behind in posting and thought I would try to catch up a little.

I’ve always been impressed with Alex Raymond’s work.  He created strips for Secret Agent X-9, Jungle Jim, Flash Gordon and of course, Rip Kirby.  People talk about the lines, the shading, the brilliant use of light sources and brush work – all true. But, I have to tell you that his ability to tell a story is underrated. 

After creating Secret Agent X-9, he created strips for Jungle Jim and Flash Gordon. The work was simply beautiful. While away in the army, Flash Gordon and Jungle Jim were taken over by another artist.  After returning from service in the Pacific in WW II, the syndicate asked him to start something new. So, that’s how we get to Rip Kirby. 

I’ve seen many wonderful examples out there and have grabbed some that grabbed me, either for the lighting, the story line, or the overall look.  But only recently have I actually taken the time to read the strip through.  I have to tell you, it still holds up.  Rip is urbane, smart, and tough when he needs to be. It’s counter to what private detectives looked like in the film noir of the 40’s and 50’s.  He’s closer to the Thin Man than Sam Spade.  And, Raymond’s artwork and story telling?  Just great.

Sadly, Raymond died in an automobile accident in 1956 at the too young age of 45.

Here’s some strips that I’ve picked up that cover the years of Raymond’s Rip Kirby run.  Link:  http://cafurl.com?i=25845

As always, feel free to look around at anything that seems interesting.

Ron