• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Difference Between Incomplete and Missing Piece
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I have a question...

I know that if a comic is missing the Marvel Value Stamp, it gets deemed incomplete. Or any coupon for that matter even if it affects the story or not. 

My question is what about a piece of a page? Like suppose a small panel has been ripped out and is missing. Technically it affects the story. Does CGC also treat this as incomplete or do they view it as a flaw and grade accordingly? For context sake, assume it is a chunk slightly smaller than a standard post it note that has been torn from the book. What label does it get and assuming the rest of the book is in the 5.0-6.0 range otherwise, where does this take the grade? 

I appreciate all info and insight!

Edited by comicginger1789

Here is a picture for reference...and as it appears to be torn out for the purpose of the ad (I believe the chunk missing is where you input your info to mail off to become like the stud above). I have a feeling CGC would consider that a coupon clipped, even though it is torn out. 

image.thumb.png.17e4e728497c5d055128dfdaa33a54c9.png

So, presumably, automatic green label? I guess I am curious what if the chunk were missing elsewhere...like not in a coupon spot. What if it was just an entire corner of one page, about this size, that was gone. Would it get green or could it get a low end blue label?

Edited by comicginger1789

Until recently, missing pieces like value stamps and coupon cut outs normally got green labels with a notation of the affecting flaw but it’s become so common that graded copies of books like IH 180 and 181 missing the stamps are getting universal blue labels where the missing piece is noted on the label. I would assume your book would get a qualified grade (graded as if the defect wasn’t there with a notation) or a lower universal grade with a note and whether it affects the story or not. I, personally wouldn’t mind getting a definitive answer but some things are so inconsistent that you just gotta go with the flow and accept that it’s just how it is

If there's just one piece missing from the book, it would likely get the Qualified/Incomplete treatment with a note on the label saying which page and whether the missing piece affects the story or art. Where it gets really problematic is when there's more than one major defect or if the book has restoration as well as a major defect. Then you'd be looking at either a Green or Purple label with a very low grade...

On 2/17/2021 at 3:26 PM, B2D327 said:

Until recently, missing pieces like value stamps and coupon cut outs normally got green labels with a notation of the affecting flaw but it’s become so common that graded copies of books like IH 180 and 181 missing the stamps are getting universal blue labels where the missing piece is noted on the label. I would assume your book would get a qualified grade (graded as if the defect wasn’t there with a notation) or a lower universal grade with a note and whether it affects the story or not. I, personally wouldn’t mind getting a definitive answer but some things are so inconsistent that you just gotta go with the flow and accept that it’s just how it is

Thanks!

On 2/17/2021 at 6:50 PM, The Lions Den said:

If there's just one piece missing from the book, it would likely get the Qualified/Incomplete treatment with a note on the label saying which page and whether the missing piece affects the story or art. Where it gets really problematic is when there's more than one major defect or if the book has restoration as well as a major defect. Then you'd be looking at either a Green or Purple label with a very low grade...

Thanks! It is a Hulk 181 so I might send in regardless with hopes of getting the most out of it (not a book or character I care for). Book is probably in the 4.0-4.5 range otherwise but then has that missing chunk. 

1 hour ago, comicginger1789 said:

Thanks! It is a Hulk 181 so I might send in regardless with hopes of getting the most out of it (not a book or character I care for). Book is probably in the 4.0-4.5 range otherwise but then has that missing chunk. 

That’s still a desirable book to a lot of collectors and that grade, even on a green label makes it very attractive being more affordable to someone really wanting a copy without the deep pockets and the way the market’s been moving, you’re still looking at a pretty penny

10 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

As long as the Marvel Value Stamp is intact and there are no other major issues, it's likely worth it. Sometimes they'll just factor something like a missing interior chunk into the grade and still give it a Universal label...

On 2/17/2021 at 2:29 PM, comicginger1789 said:

Here is a picture for reference...and as it appears to be torn out for the purpose of the ad (I believe the chunk missing is where you input your info to mail off to become like the stud above). I have a feeling CGC would consider that a coupon clipped, even though it is torn out. 

image.thumb.png.17e4e728497c5d055128dfdaa33a54c9.png

So, presumably, automatic green label? I guess I am curious what if the chunk were missing elsewhere...like not in a coupon spot. What if it was just an entire corner of one page, about this size, that was gone. Would it get green or could it get a low end blue label?

That photo takes me back. As a kid I bought comics from that Robert Bell guy.