• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My nominees for the coolest single copies in the hobby
3 3

101 posts in this topic

So how many spare or at least valuable enough  parts does ones own body contain that can be safely removed and sold while still being alive to enjoy that Action #1 court edition? 

I mean do I really need two arms and legs? What about my spleen , colon , kidney , etc? 

May have to weigh my options and see if I have enough viable parts/value. hm

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

On the subject of Court copies, how about this one? This may be my new number 1 desire.  Since it is MP, my wife might not kill me if I bought it.  Then again she might, since I'd have to sell art that's on my living room walls and sort of essential to the interior decorating:

Action_1_evid

These court copies are so cool! Does this mean there is a court copy Wonder Comics 1 out there too?

11 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Pay Copy Marvel Comics 1 - Not the best copy, but the history! We've all  talked a lot about this book. Hard to top.

If you compare the overall structure, spine, deepness of colors and ink reflectivity of the Pay Copy to the recently sold Windy City copy, it's just not even close. Plus it's got great cover centering and doesn't have the interior miscut so many copies possess. It's an amazing book.  The 9.0 grade is incredibly harsh for the actual level of preservation of the book, so they must have severely downgraded for the writing.

2 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

If you compare the overall structure, spine, deepness of colors and ink reflectivity of the Pay Copy to the recently sold Windy City copy, it's just not even close. Plus it's got great cover centering and doesn't have the interior miscut so many copies possess. It's an amazing book.  The 9.0 grade is incredibly harsh for the actual level of preservation of the book, so they must have severely downgraded for the writing.

... which is mighty ironic given the importance of what it represents... if history and responsibility are your thing, it would be impossible to top ... something to never sell . GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

11 hours ago, Spyder! said:

These court copies are so cool! Does this mean there is a court copy Wonder Comics 1 out there too?

I went back to look, and I have found pics of the Court Copies of Actions 1 (Ex. 12), 2 (Ex. 13), 4 (Ex. 15), 6 (Ex. 17), 7 (Ex. 18), 8 (Ex. 19), 9 (Ex. 20), 10 (Ex. 21), and 11 (Ex. 22).  Can't find Action 3 or 5 or Wonder 1.  But, I have read that Wonder 1 exists.

And, of course, there are also "court copies" from the DC v. Fawcett suit later in the 1940s.

Edited by sfcityduck

4 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I went back to look, and I have found pics of the Court Copies of Actions 1 (Ex. 12), 2 (Ex. 13), 4 (Ex. 15), 6 (Ex. 17), 7 (Ex. 18), 8 (Ex. 19), 9 (Ex. 20), 10 (Ex. 21), and 11 (Ex. 22).  Can't find Action 3 or 5 or Wonder 1.  But, I have read that Wonder 1 exists.

And, of course, there are also "court copies" from the DC v. Fawcett suit later in the 1940s.

Heh, I was just doing the exact same thing.  HA has sold the Action 1 and 2, in addition to the 7, but both are restored. They also sold a Superman Campaign Book that was used as evidence and belonged to Jack Liebowitz.  They've also sold three Whiz court copies, 55, 80, and 95.  I see no record anywhere of a Wonder 1 sale for a court copy, but I've heard of it too, I just can't remember where (likely an old thread here).  

13 minutes ago, mwotka said:

Heh, I was just doing the exact same thing.  HA has sold the Action 1 and 2, in addition to the 7, but both are restored. They also sold a Superman Campaign Book that was used as evidence and belonged to Jack Liebowitz.  They've also sold three Whiz court copies, 55, 80, and 95.  I see no record anywhere of a Wonder 1 sale for a court copy, but I've heard of it too, I just can't remember where (likely an old thread here).  

Just found a pic of the Action 5 (Ex. 16), Zaid owns it and displayed it in the  exhibit “Superheroes in Court! Lawyers, Law and Comic Books” at the Yale Law School which he curated.  Here's a cool related piece that Zaid probably also owns - a 1939 telegram from Jack Liebowitz to Siegel telling him to show up "without fail" to trial to be a witness:

WesternUnion.jpg

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Just found a pic of the Action 5 (Ex. 16), Zaid owns it and displayed it in the  exhibit “Superheroes in Court! Lawyers, Law and Comic Books” at the Yale Law School which he curated.  Here's a cool related piece that Zaid probably also owns - a 1939 telegram from Jack Liebowitz to Siegel telling him to show up "without fail" to trial to be a witness:

WesternUnion.jpg

So cool ! 

3 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

2 hours ago, mwotka said:

Now all I can think about is finding this court copy Wonder 1 that probably (?) exists. 

3 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

Now all I can think about is finding this court copy Wonder 1 that probably (?) exists. 

A court copy of Wonder Comics 1 would definitely have a strong argument for being the most desirable court copy.  Rarer than Action 1, and all because of the lawsuit in which that comic was an exhibit.

33 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

20 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

A court copy of Wonder Comics 1 would definitely have a strong argument for being the most desirable court copy.  Rarer than Action 1, and all because of the lawsuit in which that comic was an exhibit.

Is there a court copy of Sensation Comics #1 ?

34 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Yes, that's what I was thinking as well since it's much less common than Action 1 (I may be a bit biased since I love Fox books :insane:)

15 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

John Berk says he saw the Wonder 1 court copy for sale, so I believe it does exist.  His first comment on page 2 of this old thread.

Berk said:  "Several years ago I saw that Conrad E. who does mostly art, had the Wonder 1 Exhibit copy for sale. Do not know where it is now."

Exists, but owner is unknown and not talking.  

Edited by sfcityduck