• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How should I spend $3,000?
1 1

36 posts in this topic

I have a 1st world problem that maybe you guys could help me with. I've saved up $3,000 to spend on comics and I'm not sure which direction to go. I've been collecting mostly X-Men and Wolverine comics the past couple of years. To date I have Uncanny X-men 116-325 (just missing 120 & 121). So here are the options I'm considering:

1. Use $1,000 to have some books graded and pick up some keys I don't have like a mid-grade x-men 94 & 101, then I'd love to get a copy of New Mutants 98 and Hulk 340. Then use whatever's left to pick up x-men 120 & 121.
  2. Or should I just go all in for a low grade copy of Hulk 181 or GSX 1

I know as x-men get introduced into the MCU a lot of these books are going to get crazy expensive and probably out of my price range. I'd love some advise. 

Personally I would pick up 2 copies of Ultimate Fallout 4 in 9.8

I really believe this book has tons of room to grow in the future. Miles will have long lasting appeal and this book should be able increase in value.

True Hulk 181 is a great book to own but I would rather UF4 in 9.8 than a low grade Hulk 181. Long term I think you will do better.

I feel like you go with the books that are proven winners. Hulk 181 or GSX 1 are two of those books. Ultimate Fallout probably has room to grow for sure but I don’t think it ever comes close to those other two. I could be wrong but I would never bet against Wolverine, even if I am not his biggest fan.

2 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

Personally I would pick up 2 copies of Ultimate Fallout 4 in 9.8

I really believe this book has tons of room to grow in the future. Miles will have long lasting appeal and this book should be able increase in value.

Excuse my ignorance because I have never bought any modern comics, but why is this issue so important? Also I don't understand why variant covers should be more valuable (well, OK, except that they may be rarer). I checked and saw MCS has a 9.4 for sale at $495 but a variant B at 9.2 for over $10,000! I think I would prefer to get a lower grade ASM 1 for that price.

Edit: I just checked ebay and a CGC 9.8 is for sale at $20,000! How can the OP pick up 2 copies of that for his $3k?

Edited by Albert Thurgood
Added edit.

4 minutes ago, Albert Thurgood said:

Excuse my ignorance because I have never bought any modern comics, but why is this issue so important? Also I don't understand why variant covers should be more valuable (well, OK, except that they may be rarer). I checked and saw MCS has a 9.4 for sale at $495 but a variant B at 9.2 for over $10,000! I think I would prefer to get a lower grade ASM 1 for that price.

I agree with you as I prefer SA books. 

It's the 1st appearance of Miles Morales, the new Spider-Man from the Ultimate Universe.

4 hours ago, Hairless Wookiee said:

I have a 1st world problem that maybe you guys could help me with. I've saved up $3,000 to spend on comics and I'm not sure which direction to go. I've been collecting mostly X-Men and Wolverine comics the past couple of years. To date I have Uncanny X-men 116-325 (just missing 120 & 121). So here are the options I'm considering:

1. Use $1,000 to have some books graded and pick up some keys I don't have like a mid-grade x-men 94 & 101, then I'd love to get a copy of New Mutants 98 and Hulk 340. Then use whatever's left to pick up x-men 120 & 121.
  2. Or should I just go all in for a low grade copy of Hulk 181 or GSX 1

I know as x-men get introduced into the MCU a lot of these books are going to get crazy expensive and probably out of my price range. I'd love some advise. 

Go for the bigger books. With rising prices, you might not get a chance to get them at these prices later. 

And don,t spend any money on grading if you are keeping these books for your own collection.

Obviously, your an X-Men guy.

Buy what you love. The nicest copy of hulk 181 or GSX1 

You'll find the other X-Men books in time, but you run the risk of getting priced out of the bigger keys. 

My preference would be the 181. It's the biggest key of the BA and there will always be demand for it. 

12 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Go for the bigger books. With rising prices, you might not get a chance to get them at these prices later. 

And don,t spend any money on grading if you are keeping these books for your own collection.

That's good advise. This is for my own collection so I'll probably just hold off on grading a ton of books. I figure if I don't grab the bigger books I'll probably regret it later on. 

I'd go GSX1....has more 1st appearances that haven't quite gotten the attention they deserve; Colossus, Storm, Nightcrawler while having an early appearance of Wolverine.  It's also the more important comic in terms of history and making the X-Men relevant once again.

At the end of the day, buy what you want most for your collection regardless of what happens to the value.  If all the value came tumbling down (which I don't see happening), what would you still rather have in your collection?