• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How should I spend $3,000?
1 1

36 posts in this topic

On 2/17/2021 at 4:53 PM, Hairless Wookiee said:

I have a 1st world problem that maybe you guys could help me with. I've saved up $3,000 to spend on comics and I'm not sure which direction to go. I've been collecting mostly X-Men and Wolverine comics the past couple of years. To date I have Uncanny X-men 116-325 (just missing 120 & 121). So here are the options I'm considering:

1. Use $1,000 to have some books graded and pick up some keys I don't have like a mid-grade x-men 94 & 101, then I'd love to get a copy of New Mutants 98 and Hulk 340. Then use whatever's left to pick up x-men 120 & 121.
  2. Or should I just go all in for a low grade copy of Hulk 181 or GSX 1

I know as x-men get introduced into the MCU a lot of these books are going to get crazy expensive and probably out of my price range. I'd love some advise. 

Get a 1.0 X-Men 1

I’m most definitely gonna get flamed for saying this but: 

Detective Comics 73- low grade and probably my choice

Marvel Family 1- low grade

Showcase 22

Detective Comics 225

Action Comics 242

Flash 123

Justice league of America 21

Adventure comics 247

Brave and the Bold 28 or 34

Flash 105 or 110

Just a few suggestions from the other side😉, you can pickup a couple on this list and have money left over. 

If your stuck on Marvel? IH 181 , Wolverine in the mcu will be insane!!

On 2/17/2021 at 4:53 PM, Hairless Wookiee said:

I have a 1st world problem that maybe you guys could help me with. I've saved up $3,000 to spend on comics and I'm not sure which direction to go. I've been collecting mostly X-Men and Wolverine comics the past couple of years. To date I have Uncanny X-men 116-325 (just missing 120 & 121). So here are the options I'm considering:

1. Use $1,000 to have some books graded and pick up some keys I don't have like a mid-grade x-men 94 & 101, then I'd love to get a copy of New Mutants 98 and Hulk 340. Then use whatever's left to pick up x-men 120 & 121.
  2. Or should I just go all in for a low grade copy of Hulk 181 or GSX 1

I know as x-men get introduced into the MCU a lot of these books are going to get crazy expensive and probably out of my price range. I'd love some advise. 

The books that you've listed are as common as dirt - even in high grade - so if you're still thinking of going after them then go after them in ultra high grade and if that means saving more $ to do so then so be it.

I echo the sentiments of some posters above - go after high grade, graded Gold & Silver (comics that is) instead.

Edited by pemart1966

10 minutes ago, Nazirite said:

I’m most definitely gonna get flamed for saying this but: 

Detective Comics 73- low grade and probably my choice

Marvel Family 1- low grade

Showcase 22

Detective Comics 225

Action Comics 242

Flash 123

Justice league of America 21

Adventure comics 247

Brave and the Bold 28 or 34

Flash 105 or 110

Just a few suggestions from the other side😉, you can pickup a couple on this list and have money left over. 

If your stuck on Marvel? IH 181 , Wolverine in the mcu will be insane!!

DC keys have been stagnant for a long time and are probably at or near the lowest they will ever cost. If there comes a time when DC's movie universe generates the buzz the MCU does, all these books could take off.  Personally, I've always had more of a connection to Marvel's characters and universe than to DC, so I've gravitated toward collecting the Marvel titles first (although I learned to appreciate DC and own a ton of their books now).  DC keys have potential, but I don't know if I have confidence in their decisions at the corporate level to invest in them now.

1 hour ago, Pat Thomas said:

DC keys have been stagnant for a long time and are probably at or near the lowest they will ever cost. If there comes a time when DC's movie universe generates the buzz the MCU does, all these books could take off.  Personally, I've always had more of a connection to Marvel's characters and universe than to DC, so I've gravitated toward collecting the Marvel titles first (although I learned to appreciate DC and own a ton of their books now).  DC keys have potential, but I don't know if I have confidence in their decisions at the corporate level to invest in them now.

I understand your reasoning and it is sound. I’m the complete opposite from you. Always enjoyed DC over Marvel. And I feel that now is the best time to buy into DC keys, while the spotlight is still on Marvel. I just have this feeling that the drought from DC won’t last forever, wishful thinking probably.  Either way, what a time to be alive to see these heroes brought to life. 

Of the last 80 books I sold, 12 were DCs, and five were Marvel Family  Fawcett GA books. 

I broke even or made less than 10% profit on the GA Capt. Marvel books, made 20-30% on the DC books and did great on almost every Marvel comics book. With the exception of BA Neal Adams Batman books, I don't see much interest or demand for DC, and less for Fawcett books. 

The public has voted and the future of comic collecting seems to be solidly in the Marvel camp. 

Even for the Golden Age, you can buy plenty of non-Timely Schomburg covers for under $100,but try finding a Schomburg Timely for anywhere near that. 

So this week, I bought a Spidey 252 in 9.8 and another in 9.6, a raw 8.0ish NM 98, a Fine first app. of the Unknown Soldier, a signature series Marvel Projects signed by San Lee, Joe Simon and the recent Captain America writer., and four raw VFish X-men in the 114-125 range. Got bargains on all but the 252 9.8 which I stupidly overbid on. 

Update: So I ended up pulling the trigger on Hulk 181 4.5 green label (missing the value stamp)for $2,000. I wanted to hold out for the blue label but even a 2.5 was getting up there in price. I found the stamp separately on ebay for $20 so I got it too. I'll end up putting it in a card holder and displaying them together.

On 2/17/2021 at 7:48 PM, Hamlet said:

I recommend 3000 $1 books.

That'll certainly provide the greatest comic book reading pleasure.

For another approach to collecting, rather than investing, and since the OP is an X-Men fan, filling in those issues before #116 could be a priority.