• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DIY Pressing
3 3

55 posts in this topic

Not sure if this belongs in this forum or in the conservation one, but since it is naiive, I will post it here.

OK, so my collection has been in stacks for many years. I have just moved them to vertical storage in archive boxes. In doing so, I noticed that many have develop some curving from being stacked for long (?I have seen some people say this is not a spine roll). Here is an example.

image.png.26ef80a08985bf6b1587a9ec6b7392ff.png

I also have read many people say this problem can be improved by pressing. My problem is that there are no professional pressers within 10,000 miles of where I live! 

So could I fix this by carefully placing a (suitably protected) book underneath a heavy weight? Or will this do more harm than good?  Is there a more sophisticated but still DIY solution?

8 minutes ago, Albert Thurgood said:

Thanks for the advice, but I am very apprehensive of trusting these valuable books to the mail. 

I can appreciate that. 

I was the same way. After spending a small fortune on shipping insurance, I ended up getting private insurance for my collection that covers shipping. 

I'm not crazy about shipping them, even knowing I'll be reimbursed. But I still recommend using Joey's services before trying any home remedies. 

I will be the third and agree with what everyone else has said definitely Joey. I sure would not risk DIY.

I also agree with your last comment.  

With enough value schedule a vacation and take them personally, if you do not want them in shipping, but I also do agree with what has already been said about insurance as well. 

Unless your getting it slabbed to sell, board and bag it in mylar and leave as is. Absolutely nothing wrong with that book. The slightest spine curl is a good indicator that is hasn't been messed with and is natural for a 40 year old book.  That's a big plus, except if you're chasing numbers on a plastic case.

17 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I can think of a half dozen people to send to for the same results. 

I want to show you something... 

Graham Avenue ... Williamsburg Brooklyn 

Tony's Pizza  VS  Carmine's Pizza

Tony's is 355 Graham Avenue

Carmines is 358 Graham Avenue

These two places are literally across the street from one another.  Now let's ignore that within a couple of blocks you also have Sal's Pizza, Grandma Rose's, and a few others that need not be mentioned. Cono's pizza was also a favorite as they made an almost Sicilian vegetable pie that was to die for.   They closed. :( I remember them when I was a kid.  But anyway back to the story. 

Now... if you go to Carmines... you do NOT go to Tony's.  And if you go to Tony's you do NOT go to Carmine's. 

I am sure that there are other people who press books out there.  I am sure they are wonderful people if I ever cared to get to know them.  All I know is, when I am back visiting the neighborhood and I am on Graham Avenue, I go to Carmine's for my pizza.  I don't really know about anything that goes on across the street.

I go to Joe when I want my comic books pressed.   I don't know about these other people you claim to exist. 

@PeteFromPetesBasement is a little weird though.  I think he goes across the street. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 6.04.12 PM.png

Edited by Buzzetta

5 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I want to show you something... 

Graham Avenue ... Williamsburg Brooklyn 

Tony's Pizza  VS  Carmine's Pizza

Tony's is 355 Graham Avenue

Carmines is 358 Graham Avenue

These two places are literally across the street from one another.  Now let's ignore that within a couple of blocks you also have Sal's Pizza, Grandma Rose's, and a few others that need not be mentioned. Cono's pizza was also a favorite as they made an almost Sicilian vegetable pie that was to die for.   They closed. :( I remember them when I was a kid.  But anyway back to the story. 

Now... if you go to Carmines... you do NOT go to Tony's.  And if you go to Tony's you do NOT go to Carmine's. 

I am sure that there are other people who press books out there.  I am sure they are wonderful people if I ever cared to get to know them.  All I know is, when I am back visiting the neighborhood and I am on Graham Avenue, I go to Carmine's for my pizza.  I don't really know about anything that goes on across the street.

I go to Joe when I want my comic books pressed.   I don't know about these other people you claim to exist. 

@PeteFromPetesBasement is a little weird though.  I think he goes across the street. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 6.04.12 PM.png

You are obviously spoiled for choice in Brooklyn.

But I see what you mean. If you lived in the AK side of Texarkana, you definitely would not be getting your pizzas from the TX side of the road.

image.png.b5cdf867fdba98228ada4589f43f435b.png

8 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

You proved my point. You don't know what goes on at Tony's.  The could have the best slices for five cents served by supermodels.  

Did you watch The Office and say, "This show is great!  I not going to watch anything else!"   Or, "carrots are the bestest!  I am never going to eat broccoli!" 

pizza.gif.0167d2641963c162f06b234453e99e99.gif

1 minute ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

You proved my point. You don't know what goes on at Tony's.  The could have the best slices for five cents served by supermodels.  

Did you watch The Office and say, "This show is great!  I not going to watch anything else!"   Or, "carrots are the bestest!  I am never going to eat broccoli!" 

pizza.gif.0167d2641963c162f06b234453e99e99.gif

Tony's is effin' gaw-bidge! Don't you ever go there!

(I went there once the first few times I ever had to go get pizza - Carmine's is better). He is also a BIG Yankee memorabilia collector and the place is lined with autographed balls, jerseys, paintings and all things 'Yankee')

Heh... Carmine's used to a very small place to eat as it really only had space for a couple of people.  Then they expanded.  I remember back in 1998 and 1999 when he would put a big TV in the window and we stood on the street to watch the World Series.  Fire Department rolled up and wasn't happy but... such is life. lol 

10 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

But @PeteFromPetesBasement goes to Tony's.  Tony's must be doing something right to get Pete's money. 

I want to get our mutual friend Maria on the boards. 

I just facetime'd my parents and presented this situation... dad shook his head and said no... you do one or the other, you can't do both. 

4ylixf.jpg

Edited by Buzzetta

6 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I want to get our mutual friend Maria on the boards. 

I just facetime'd my parents and presented this situation... dad shook his head and said no... you do one or the other, you can't do both. 

4ylixf.jpg

Tony’s is great for regular slices, or a pepperoni slice.

Carmine’s is great for their specialty slices - the upside down L&B style, the Italian flag slice with pesto, or the hipstery super topping slices that seem to be all the rage lately. Carmine’s also has great food and the sports bar nextdoor when it was actually opened. BUT Carmine’s regular slice leaves a lot to be desired. The brick oven dries out the sauce and despite what 8yr old Pete says about mozzarella, the key to a good slice of pizza is the sauce and the oil. And for a good regular, Tony’s is it.