• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How does CGC grade against interior page manufacturing errors?
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Wondoring what CGC’s grading standards are for books with manufacturing tears to the interior pages. Specifically, I have several books with small pin holes and tears at the bottom of interior pages. It looks like the paper was damaged while being sorted through a feeder. I’ve attached an image of a book with similar damage that I found on the web. Any thoughts on how these types of defects grade out? Can books with these defects still achieve a 9.4 to 9.8 grade range?

Thanks

0124223B-7BB4-4B03-AFF5-D36392C95CED.jpeg

• Administrator

Good afternoon,

Thanks for your message.  We can't really advise on how a particular defect might affect the overall grade. There are many factors that would go into the grade and we would have to look at the condition of the book as a whole before we could make any determinations.  Certainly, it will have some effect on the grade but we couldn't say how much without examining it.

Thanks!

19 hours ago, Nilo2 said:

Hi all,

Wondoring what CGC’s grading standards are for books with manufacturing tears to the interior pages. Specifically, I have several books with small pin holes and tears at the bottom of interior pages. It looks like the paper was damaged while being sorted through a feeder. I’ve attached an image of a book with similar damage that I found on the web. Any thoughts on how these types of defects grade out? Can books with these defects still achieve a 9.4 to 9.8 grade range?

Thanks

0124223B-7BB4-4B03-AFF5-D36392C95CED.jpeg

Of course the entirety of a books condition requires consideration when assigning a grade, but these “gripper holes” or perforation tears alone shouldn’t preclude a book from the 9.4 to 9.8 range.