• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pennyworth round 2
1 1

43 posts in this topic

And I assume those are hammer prices (incl BP) - so when fees are taken into account an even bigger loss. Ouch.

Still, it's bold to think that you can net a profit so soon after the first high profile auction. Or perhaps there was another reason for a forced sale?

Thanks for letting me know about another auction site, I had never heard of Pedigree.

So what happened here? A bunch of recently sold Pennyworths from Heritage were already up and sold in another auction? That's weird. I suppose one person won all of those with the intention of selling them on Pedigree a month later. What else could it be? And if so what were they thinking?

This slipped my mind, so thank you for this. Not at all surprised by the outcome, honestly. Too soon after the original sale, and these aren't big books in the first place. Wonder how quickly any of the bigger books will get flipped.

8 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Thanks for letting me know about another auction site, I had never heard of Pedigree.

So what happened here? A bunch of recently sold Pennyworths from Heritage were already up and sold in another auction? That's weird. I suppose one person won all of those with the intention of selling them on Pedigree a month later. What else could it be? And if so what were they thinking?

The answer is pretty clear but not my place to discuss 

34 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

I was actually surprised the loss wasn’t higher.  Heritage does a good job squeezing the maximum out of the items they sell and these books were in their sweet spot for material.

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
10 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

This was done to lower the GPA average for these books....then PROFIT! :shy:

5 hours ago, batman_fan said:
5 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I was actually surprised the loss wasn’t higher.  Heritage does a good job squeezing the maximum out of the items they sell and these books were in their sweet spot for material.

Yes, especially when Pedigree is really an auction site that tends to focus primarily on a seemingly endless supply of HG Marvel SA books more than anything else.  :p

5 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
14 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

That's what happens when you are late to the show and end up putting in tracking bids on books at too high of a price expecting somebody else to take out your bids for you in the end.  doh!  lol

1 minute ago, Silver said:

I wouldn't think Pedigree is the best site to auction those books.

That was my thought, too, especially so close to the first sale. If somebody had planned to buy these books, they would've done it on Heritage during the first sale.

16 minutes ago, buttock said:

If I had bought a book for $1000, it was worth $2000, I was able to pay $3000 publicly for it, then sell it for $2500 then I wouldn't call it a loss.  

So, are you trying to imply that those Heritage Auction sales results are "fake" and nowhere even close to what the books really sold for, or are you saying that the final auction results were somehow manipulated?  ???

4 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

So, are you trying to imply that those Heritage Auction sales results are "fake" and nowhere even close to what the books really sold for, or are you saying that the final auction results were somehow manipulated?  ???

I'm not implying anything.  I'm speaking purely in hypotheticals.  

3 minutes ago, buttock said:
9 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I'm not implying anything.  I'm speaking purely in hypotheticals.

Yes, just found your post a bit confusing when you mentioned buying a book for only $1,000 and yet paying $3,000 for it pubicly. (shrug)