• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is GPA and GoCollect accurate pricing tools for Grails
1 1

24 posts in this topic

I know some people don't like using the word grail for describing books like

Amazing Fantasy 15

Action Comics 1

Tec 27

Incredible Hulk 1

X-Men 1

Captain America 1

Tales of Suspense 39 ect

But do you find pricing accurate for these books, since people are generally paying above this FMV tool?

4 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Gocollect doesn't reflect that, but it's very accurate (GPA)

Can I get one for 5.5?

Go collect does have its benefits.  It shows some harder to find issues that GPA does not. Especially when in low/no  census numbers , but any of the pricing companies need to be taken with a grain of salt in the crazy markets that exist currently.  That said yes GPA when it comes to established sales with longer track records can be much more accurate. Here is the GPA for

X-Men #1 in CGC 5.5

20210219_101340.thumb.jpg.d46ffe88e22ed5633f81a66362a4a337.jpg20210219_101325.thumb.jpg.ab3392d9b1005adf74bc2e485eca1840.jpg

19 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I'm just saying because take X-MEN 1 for instance...a 4.0 sold on Ebay for double the FMV gocollect has it at and thats about 6k.

I don't sell enough to follow GPA

Yeah, I know what you mean, but when there are large purchases/sells on the line, I just sign up for a month, at $10, and then cancel the following month.

Their subscription is literally $10 a month, cancel any time... so when it comes to big stuff, I don't take the chance

1 minute ago, D2 said:

Yeah, I know what you mean, but when there are large purchases/sells on the line, I just sign up for a month, at $10, and then cancel the following month.

Their subscription is literally $10 a month, cancel any time... so when it comes to big stuff, I don't take the chance

I do the same. I rely on GPA but also check prices for similar books on Comic Connect, Clink, MyComicShop, High Grade Comics, etc. If it's a major purchase or sale I'll check GoCollect as well.

Gets tricky with books that haven't had a recent sale recorded on GPA. Like Hulk 1 CGC 5.0. Last sale was $16k more than a year ago. What's the value of that book now? I'm sure it's quite a bit higher.

3 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

I do the same. I rely on GPA but also check prices for similar books on Comic Connect, Clink, MyComicShop, High Grade Comics, etc.

I do the same, especially to compare with books I have in my collection, noticed a X-Men 5.5 selling on comiclink for about 15k, that is 3k above GPA and I bet it sells for asking...just speculating

I refer to both but GPA gives you a good sense of trend...and today, trends can change drastically month to month.

If it is a big book with few sales, I think you look at as many as you can. See what surrounding grades are also selling for, see what recent books in similar condition are listed at and yes, even gander ebay sales if any. That should give you an idea where a book's price should be even if a sale has not been seen for several months or even a year. 

I also notice a lot of bigger books selling on Instagram...books in the 5K-15K range, which to my knowledge, there is no way to track or really even research unless you happen to be following certain people/tags and catch that the book sold for "x" dollars.  

Edited by comicginger1789

3 hours ago, MatterEaterLad said:

I do the same. I rely on GPA but also check prices for similar books on Comic Connect, Clink, MyComicShop, High Grade Comics, etc. If it's a major purchase or sale I'll check GoCollect as well.

Gets tricky with books that haven't had a recent sale recorded on GPA. Like Hulk 1 CGC 5.0. Last sale was $16k more than a year ago. What's the value of that book now? I'm sure it's quite a bit higher.

There was a Hulk 1 in CGC 5.0 that sold about a month ago in acomiclink auction for $20,350.  I sent Gocollect the sale and they said they have had some diffciulty getting information from Comiclink lately.

4 minutes ago, jeffreyk said:

There was a Hulk 1 in CGC 5.0 that sold about a month ago in acomiclink auction for $20,350.  I sent Gocollect the sale and they said they have had some diffciulty getting information from Comiclink lately.

I've been told GPA doesn't gather information from comiclink either.....

10 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I've been told GPA doesn't gather information from comiclink either.....

gpa does not. gocollect does, but this year they;ve been lagging on all results. i emailed them several missing results from ebay, heritage, others. they wrote back apologizing and claiming they were having trouble getting data from ebay. they gave me a partial credit on my monthly payment, which was nice of them. but if they dont get it together soon i will be forced to go back to gpa, who i dont care for, but who clearly have better data right now.

2 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

I refer to both but GPA gives you a good sense of trend...and today, trends can change drastically month to month.

If it is a big book with few sales, I think you look at as many as you can. See what surrounding grades are also selling for, see what recent books in similar condition are listed at and yes, even gander ebay sales if any. That should give you an idea where a book's price should be even if a sale has not been seen for several months or even a year. 

I also notice a lot of bigger books selling on Instagram...books in the 5K-15K range, which to my knowledge, there is no way to track or really even research unless you happen to be following certain people/tags and catch that the book sold for "x" dollars.  

I bought one for 15k off IG a few days ago

2 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I bought one for 15k off IG a few days ago

Right? How do those sales factor in because there is a growing marketplace there it seems and unless someone working for any of the tracking sites is trying to keep track of those sales too, they would go missed from the data

1 minute ago, comicginger1789 said:

Right? How do those sales factor in because there is a growing marketplace there it seems and unless someone working for any of the tracking sites is trying to keep track of those sales too, they would go missed from the data

Ironically (it was a cash and trade) the seller used GPA to determine the return on the books I was trading