• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Saga of the Ditko Spidey Poster

44 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

I was attending the fourth grade at the newly-built Cape View Elementary School in Cape Canaveral, and that fall Spider-Man #32 came out.  Not only did it continue the latest eagerly-awaited installment of the awesome Master Planner story, but the mystery of the mailing tube - which had been teased in prior Bullpen Pages - had finally been solved.  A six foot poster of Spider-Man by Ditko!  Wow! 
After haggling with my mom for a couple of weeks I procured the $1.99 (or whatever it was) and sent away for the poster. A couple months later I was the proud owner of a beautiful 6-foot Spidey pin-up! Eight week delivery (or more) back then was normal :grin:.  I proudly displayed my prize at show-and-tell in class.  It hung on my bedroom wall from 4th grade to after high school graduation.  It was one of the many true highlights of my youth.  It hung on the wall of my first bachelor pads, as well.

The poster did get a bit beaten around the edges and a little torn throughout the years; suffering the occasional assault of a tossed army-man or some other indoor projectile.  But eventually it found its way rolled up in the back of a closet, and move-after-move, it stayed with me.

Yesterday I was digging thru the back of my closet, looking for boxes and binders of Marvel Trading Cards that I acquired in the early ‘90s (I wonder why?) and I came across this, on a top shelf behind some short boxes :frown:.  Some years back I had a cat that had cancer and this must have been one of the hiding places that she retreated to in her illness.  She made a nice nest, I suppose.  

So for those who may give a care, I thought I might share in my discovery.  :D

Some good news :grin:. I also found a 3 ½ foot Hulk poster, the original printing I believe.  It’s a bit ragged around the edges but in much better shape than poor Spidey.  I got it a year or so after the Spidey poster, from some shop in the French Quarter as a souvenir during a family trip to New Orleans.  It also hung on my wall for years.  I may see about salvaging it.

IMG_20210219_063920133.thumb.jpg.cb314112affdf7134b3574e572f55f93.jpg 

dead.jpg

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

She is a keeper, but to be honest; She wants me to have a comic room to guarantee that none of my stupid nerd stuff contaminates the rest of the house.

Smart of her to simply contain you rather than destroy you and your hobby altogether!  Thank God diversity is in her DNA!!  That makes her a keeper!  (thumbsu.

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

Good poster post! 
The door to my comic room is still unadorned. Maybe I need a 6 foot Ditko Spidey...

I believe that if they were to re-issue the original 6 foot Ditko Spider-Man poster (not the Marvelmania one that followed that had details added to the face and body, but the pure Ditko image) it would sell pretty well.  They could even charge more than $1.99 :D

4 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

She is a keeper, but to be honest; She wants me to have a comic room to guarantee that none of my stupid nerd stuff contaminates the rest of the house.

wow, it's like KirbyJack and I share a mind and a wife. Neat and creepy all at once. 

3 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

I believe that if they were to re-issue the original 6 foot Ditko Spider-Man poster (not the Marvelmania one that followed that had details added to the face and body, but the pure Ditko image) it would sell pretty well.  They could even charge more than $1.99 :D

there are many things Marvel could do to make boat loads of money but don't. I'd like one of these , le sigh.

8 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

I believe that if they were to re-issue the original 6 foot Ditko Spider-Man poster (not the Marvelmania one that followed that had details added to the face and body, but the pure Ditko image) it would sell pretty well.

Just a slight correction, the amended poster was by Personality Posters and released in 1966. They produced a set of 8 Marvel posters and larger versions of two of them - the amended Spider-Man one referred to and a Hulk one as posted by OP.

13 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I am very fortunate to have a wife that not only tolerates comic collecting, but collects comics herself. And she is pretty good at grading raw comics as well.

1 hour ago, Mercury Man said:

Yes, this is the Personality Posters set of eight. Spider-Man is an amended version of the OPs poster albeit a smaller size. The hulk and Spider-Man posters of this set were released in a larger format but not quite six foot like the original. 
As Unca Ben says Spider-Man was reworked for these posters, the other noticeable variation being the loss of friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man “signature”

25 minutes ago, Garystar said:

Yes, this is the Personality Posters set of eight. Spider-Man is an amended version of the OPs poster albeit a smaller size. The hulk and Spider-Man posters of this set were released in a larger format but not quite six foot like the original. 
As Unca Ben says Spider-Man was reworked for these posters, the other noticeable variation being the loss of friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man “signature”

I've noticed that the  3 ½ foot Hulk poster seems to have 2 printings; the bottom right indicia is different on some posters I've seen online vs the one I have.