• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Saga of the Ditko Spidey Poster

44 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Unca Ben said:

I've noticed that the  3 ½ foot Hulk poster seems to have 2 printings; the bottom right indicia is different on some posters I've seen online vs the one I have.

I’m not aware of two printings, however there are two different sizes; The set of eight are 12” x 16” these have just a marvel comics copyright in bottom right. The larger hulk one which you have is 41” x 29” and has 1966 marvel copyright AND personality posters name and address in bottom right. 
Spider-Man therefore has three printings - the original six foot one ravaged by your cat, and the two reworked ones by Personality Posters, the 16” one in the set of eight and the 41” one same size as your hulk. 
Only hulk and Spider-Man had the 41” treatment. 

Edited by Garystar

1 hour ago, Garystar said:

I’m not aware of two printings, however there are two different sizes; The set of eight are 12” x 16” these have just a marvel comics copyright in bottom right. The larger hulk one which you have is 41” x 29” and has 1966 marvel copyright AND personality posters name and address in bottom right. 
Spider-Man therefore has three printings - the original six foot one ravaged by your cat, and the two reworked ones by Personality Posters, the 16” one in the set of eight and the 41” one same size as your hulk. 
Only hulk and Spider-Man had the 41” treatment. 

If the listing details and scans are correct, I believe I've seen 2 different large Hulk posters.  Both appox 30"x42"

Here's one on Heritage archives, listed as 30"x42" . If the color on the scan is fairly accurate, then this one seems to be a brighter green and darker purple, with much lighter half-tones under the arms.  The indicia in the lower right is different than mine, too.   maybe a day-glo version?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/memorabilia/comic-related/incredible-hulk-silkscreen-poster-marvel-personality-poster-1966-/a/121824-13795.s#
hulkposter2.thumb.jpg.567a4e206977d317ae00eaea50f1cda2.jpghulkposter2detail.jpg.45b7a6d3d8253e9c233a0d33c3af9ac2.jpg

-Here's another Heritage archive, which I believe is the same version that I have.  Colors more muted, half-tones on the body (but not the foot) are darker, and the indica (which is difficult to see in the scan so I adjusted the brightness) is like mine.  Descriptions says size is 29" x 41.75"
https://comics.ha.com/itm/memorabilia/superhero/incredible-hulk-giant-poster-marvel-1966-/a/7066-91472.s

881854528_hulkposter1a.thumb.jpg.2abc049768920d13aa54f188ba19d60c.jpg1641464774_hulkposter1adetail.jpg.eecab6c9c3732329bf21997731e6d04b.jpg

The indicia on mine:
IMG_20210219_081531684.thumb.jpg.0a176dab3fde75cfcc781727a0216b81.jpg

Edited by Unca Ben

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

I had the huge Vampirella poster on my wall. Got torn down and thrown away with my Filmore rock posters when I moved out. 

Misery loves company.  So sad to hear!  But I bet you enjoyed the posters on your wall while you had 'em, rather than be squirreled away in a poster tube or flat file.  :smile:

5 minutes ago, Unca Ben said:

But I bet you enjoyed the posters on your wall while you had 'em, rather than be squirreled away in a poster tube or flat file.  :smile:

Amen to that! I had to keep posters stored for years before I had the opportunity to hang them. I love having them displayed.

7 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Yes indeed. I actually miss the rock posters more. I moved out at 17. My mom really cleaned out everything I didn’t take. Yes, including my early SA comics and toys. I got over it. 

Some of those vintage Fillmore posters are worth some change.  I have a bunch on my walls from the late 90's and early 2000's from shows I attended.  A couple signed (just wait on the side of the venue toward the back when the performers come out to leave).

I didn't live here in the 60s or 70s so I missed out on the great vintage ones.

Edited by Unca Ben

22 minutes ago, Unca Ben said:

If the listing details and scans are correct, I believe I've seen 2 different large Hulk posters.  Both appox 30"x42"

Interesting. The bottom right copyright indica is identical so both pertain to be originals (yours has a shop stamp/sticker which I assume was put on by seller). The only dayglo ones I have seen are modern reprints without the Personality Posters indica. 
I don’t believe heritage would sell reprints/copies without listing as such, I wonder if the dayglo effect is due to the lighting when photographed (blacklight?) or perhaps it’s a rare oddity. 
I’m going to keep an eye out for other dayglo ones. 

59 minutes ago, Garystar said:

Interesting. The bottom right copyright indica is identical so both pertain to be originals (yours has a shop stamp/sticker which I assume was put on by seller). The only dayglo ones I have seen are modern reprints without the Personality Posters indica. 
I don’t believe heritage would sell reprints/copies without listing as such, I wonder if the dayglo effect is due to the lighting when photographed (blacklight?) or perhaps it’s a rare oddity. 
I’m going to keep an eye out for other dayglo ones. 

I put the shop stamp sticker on the Hulk poster that I bought as a souvenir as a reminder of the trip to the French Quarter.

To be clear, the indicia on my poster and the non- "day-glo" one on Heritage are identical.  The Day-Glo one on Heritage has the different indicia.  Look at the text centering on each line and how the 3 lines of text line up to each other.  But all have 1966 copyrights, so I'm guessing neither are the modern reprints.  And I agree, heritage wouldn't knowingly sell reprints without listing as such.

And yeah, I think the one is intended for backlight viewing, but it was photographed or scanned under regular light otherwise the white background would have a violet hue.  So I believe that's how it looks under regular light.  My backlight posters (back in the day) colors looked similar to the Hulk day-glo when viewed under normal lighting.

Edited by Unca Ben

2 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Tech being what it is, a system should be in place to custom-make posters of any size and of any image Marvel/Disney owns. 

I’d order a door size version of this:

0221EEDF-4D0F-4278-97F0-C85BC5CD9676.thumb.jpeg.ce7ff416fca167804982cbd0c5044207.jpeg

Didn’t Kinkos or Office Depot used to do that? I think if you took a vector image into their store, you could have it printed as big as you wanted. Pretty sure some online shop can probably do this provided the image you send them is of high quality.

Edited by B2D327

Don't have the item, but I'll share a similar story. In third grade, I was a tutor for other students and we would acquire points for our performance. At the end of the semester or whatever it was, we went to this room with items we could get for our points (probably donations). I was in the room and they told me the guy who came earlier in the day got some comic -- it was supposed to be a good old one. I knew him and asked what it was. He showed me ... it was.... no lie... Fantastic Four 1.:cry: He was nice enough to let me borrow it.

6 minutes ago, Wipple said:

This thread motivated me to go to the framer. Will update when complete. 6963C4C6-43DD-4512-8785-4120E9AFD522.thumb.jpeg.a25bce44f40f0eb1fb4fe1174d2ab815.jpeg

09669580-02F1-4975-A43D-DD4217B2FDCC.jpeg

It is so sad that Spidey grew up with a vitamin D deficiency that caused rickets on his right leg.  That is one thing that this pose always has bothered me.

On 2/20/2021 at 9:29 AM, Robot Man said:

I had the huge Vampirella poster on my wall. Got torn down and thrown away with my Filmore rock posters when I moved out. 

Robot Man 

The Jose Gonzales poster was reprinted a short while ago.