• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NFT Ramblings
1 1

208 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Over the course of the last week, so many artists I follow have either announced work they have made NFTs for, or that they are currently exploring how they will also be entering the NFT world. This is amazing.

Meanwhile, the last month, I’ve been pondering how to best pull back from buying art, and just the internet in general. I’ve said for years, I was trying to get back to some kind of semi-permanent contentment, as I’d had for a few years in the past. Not buying more, just being happy with the art I have. But every year I buy a few things, I sell a couple. But the bulk has seemed to settle in for the long haul.

And so I’ve decided to just kind of pull back on all of it. Social media, discussion boards, following along with artist’s every whims and seeing every new thing they share. Reading the posts of who flipped what, and what auction results came back as. 
I’m gonna pull the plug on most of it. The folks that have become more friend than artist I’ll still hang in there with, but the vast majority I’m just hitting pause on.

Less time on the computer, and reading things I find less and less interest in. More time in the world and with the art I already have. 

Why mention it in this thread? Seems as relevant as any other, and this isn’t worth a new topic. Because I’m genuinely happy for anyone that makes art and can get someone to pay them for it. With NFTs, or cash, or in trade for things they want or need. Whatever way they can make a living doing the thing they love, is amazing. But the NFT craze has also driven home something I’ve been feeling for years. I don’t care about the token part of art. That commerce part. That monetary value part. I’ve never bought a single thing hoping it would go up. Or to wave it in anyone’s face. I really truly just love the stuff. Like a wonderful meal, or a vacation that never ends. Owning art to me is an experience, not an asset. It brings me joy. I put up a CAF gallery to share that joy. Though some weeks it feels more like folks only view it as a store where I have stated things are not for sale, but they must try anyway.

I have always felt a pleasure in sending money direct to artists especially, because I love their work more than the money I give up for it. I think early on, most collectors did, or why buy it? But the time spent talking about money has finally bored me to tears. And right now it is just everywhere. And good on those who delight in it. It’s just not for me and never has been. 

And all this just kind of dovetails together. I’ve hit a point where I don’t need these things anymore. The round and round conversations. The picking apart of minutia, or speculating on where the future will be, or what it will look like if I decide to totally “get out” and sell my art someday. I’m glad people are interested in art, but more for the folks that are finally able to monetize their creativity, in a world that often treats it like frivolity. 

Anyhow, maybe I’ll check in, in a few weeks and find I can’t stay away, or maybe I’ll truly discover the joys of less monitor in my life? Who knows. But I like you all, and didn’t just want to totally disappear without hinting why.

I hope Felix, and Jason’s guys do well for themselves with NFTs. Likewise, any creator that goes on to mint some piece of work of theirs, and reaps some windfall from it. That is amazing.

I keep thinking back to NFTs and the correlation to wealth as it came to David Choe via Facebook. Painting that mural for the Facebook office and being given a choice of a significant (for the time) cash payment, or just taking some stock shares. Most artists would have said gimme that cash. Dave did it for the experience and said he’d take the stock. Which could have turned out to be worthless in 6 months. And at the time Dave truly would not have cared. Instead, they went public and he went multimillionaire overnight.  I hope more artists get to enjoy that ride. Even if it is short lived. Or it “mints” a new wealth class that no one ever saw coming. Weirder things have happened.

Maybe one day in the distant future I’ll see a few of you at a comic show, when visiting other friends not seen in years. Wouldn’t that be nice?

Keep out of trouble, -e.

That's a nice note about your perspective on NFTs, technology, monetization, and ultimate disallusionment!  As you step back and smell the roses for a while, you may rediscover the "artistic" touches in all the fine man-made work being done around us, from landscape excavating to car restoration; artists exist in all fields of endeavor and can be appreciated.

Be sure to check back here once in a while.  I always enjoy your messages, David

On 2/26/2021 at 10:59 AM, aqn83 said:

Or in this case, 52 different NFT tokens for this digital image by Jock:

https://makersplace.com/jock/drops/reflections-570/?fbclid=IwAR1USfMWCApQKSS2a7AfiXnEq2bQGK6HGGuXCi5J3FdAnjJsvow_s9PCbpI

Each edition (essentially each NFT) was sold for $499.

Very interesting that he doesn't even mention the character's name:

"The plot deepens. A homage to one of the world’s most iconic villains - a new perspective into the life of a notorious, perhaps misunderstood, bad guy through painterly, emotional presentation of this beloved (and feared) character. This series inspires deep introspection and reflection on concepts of good vs evil, calling attention to how both entities manifest within each of us."

6 hours ago, aokartman said:
9 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Over the course of the last week, so many artists I follow have either announced work they have made NFTs for, or that they are currently exploring how they will also be entering the NFT world. This is amazing.

Meanwhile, the last month, I’ve been pondering how to best pull back from buying art, and just the internet in general. I’ve said for years, I was trying to get back to some kind of semi-permanent contentment, as I’d had for a few years in the past. Not buying more, just being happy with the art I have. But every year I buy a few things, I sell a couple. But the bulk has seemed to settle in for the long haul.

And so I’ve decided to just kind of pull back on all of it. Social media, discussion boards, following along with artist’s every whims and seeing every new thing they share. Reading the posts of who flipped what, and what auction results came back as. 
I’m gonna pull the plug on most of it. The folks that have become more friend than artist I’ll still hang in there with, but the vast majority I’m just hitting pause on.

Less time on the computer, and reading things I find less and less interest in. More time in the world and with the art I already have. 

Why mention it in this thread? Seems as relevant as any other, and this isn’t worth a new topic. Because I’m genuinely happy for anyone that makes art and can get someone to pay them for it. With NFTs, or cash, or in trade for things they want or need. Whatever way they can make a living doing the thing they love, is amazing. But the NFT craze has also driven home something I’ve been feeling for years. I don’t care about the token part of art. That commerce part. That monetary value part. I’ve never bought a single thing hoping it would go up. Or to wave it in anyone’s face. I really truly just love the stuff. Like a wonderful meal, or a vacation that never ends. Owning art to me is an experience, not an asset. It brings me joy. I put up a CAF gallery to share that joy. Though some weeks it feels more like folks only view it as a store where I have stated things are not for sale, but they must try anyway.

I have always felt a pleasure in sending money direct to artists especially, because I love their work more than the money I give up for it. I think early on, most collectors did, or why buy it? But the time spent talking about money has finally bored me to tears. And right now it is just everywhere. And good on those who delight in it. It’s just not for me and never has been. 

And all this just kind of dovetails together. I’ve hit a point where I don’t need these things anymore. The round and round conversations. The picking apart of minutia, or speculating on where the future will be, or what it will look like if I decide to totally “get out” and sell my art someday. I’m glad people are interested in art, but more for the folks that are finally able to monetize their creativity, in a world that often treats it like frivolity. 

Anyhow, maybe I’ll check in, in a few weeks and find I can’t stay away, or maybe I’ll truly discover the joys of less monitor in my life? Who knows. But I like you all, and didn’t just want to totally disappear without hinting why.

I hope Felix, and Jason’s guys do well for themselves with NFTs. Likewise, any creator that goes on to mint some piece of work of theirs, and reaps some windfall from it. That is amazing.

I keep thinking back to NFTs and the correlation to wealth as it came to David Choe via Facebook. Painting that mural for the Facebook office and being given a choice of a significant (for the time) cash payment, or just taking some stock shares. Most artists would have said gimme that cash. Dave did it for the experience and said he’d take the stock. Which could have turned out to be worthless in 6 months. And at the time Dave truly would not have cared. Instead, they went public and he went multimillionaire overnight.  I hope more artists get to enjoy that ride. Even if it is short lived. Or it “mints” a new wealth class that no one ever saw coming. Weirder things have happened.

Maybe one day in the distant future I’ll see a few of you at a comic show, when visiting other friends not seen in years. Wouldn’t that be nice?

Keep out of trouble, -e.

Expand  

That's a nice note about your perspective on NFTs, technology, monetization, and ultimate disallusionment!  As you step back and smell the roses for a while, you may rediscover the "artistic" touches in all the fine man-made work being done around us, from landscape excavating to car restoration; artists exist in all fields of endeavor and can be appreciated.

Be sure to check back here once in a while.  I always enjoy your messages, David

@ESeffinga thanks for writing this.  I appreciate this comment and all the other ones where you provide your experience, knowledge and feelings.  You're stepping back for the "right" reasons.  When we see you again, it'll be for the "right" reasons.

17 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Keep out of trouble, -e.

I haven't followed the boards the past few years as closely as I did before. But you have always been one of my favorite posters. Always looked forward to reading your posts. Hope to meet you in person some day.

On a separate note, I mentioned this on social media a couple of weeks ago: We are stepping back from NFTs. Decided this shortly after the YouTube show, and cancelled our launch. I'm grateful to the platform for being understanding. We may reengage later, but for now, we're on the sidelines. Will keep following, regardless.

23 hours ago, *paull* said:

Very interesting that he doesn't even mention the character's name:

"The plot deepens. A homage to one of the world’s most iconic villains - a new perspective into the life of a notorious, perhaps misunderstood, bad guy through painterly, emotional presentation of this beloved (and feared) character. This series inspires deep introspection and reflection on concepts of good vs evil, calling attention to how both entities manifest within each of us."

I noticed that too, and other than the black variant you could argue it is not the joker at all. Not sure who you would say that is IS, but it is a bit abstract.

2 hours ago, Nexus said:

We are stepping back from NFTs. Decided this shortly after the YouTube show, and cancelled our launch.

For those of us not on social media and not likely to ever be, care to add some color? I can't be the only one wondering "why?" here.

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

The only way NFT makes sense to me is if the copyright is transferred to you so you can print and sell the digital image as a hard asset.  

Better get the trademark holder's consent with it, assuming trademark. We now know what DC thinks about those rights. 

Others, however, are asking: at what cost? Joanie Lemercier, a French sculptor known for his light projections as well as his climate activism, sold six NFTs in his first blockchain drop. Using Cryptoart.wtf, a website started by his fellow artist Memo Akten that tracks emissions associated with individual drops, Lemercier was appalled to learn that his sale consumed 8.7 megawatt-hours of energy — equivalent to two years of energy use in his studio.

1 hour ago, Nexus said:

I was previously unaware of the environmental impact of crypto. Once I learned about it, no longer felt OK with participating.

Perfect, didn't want to put words in your mouth. The thing will sort itself out in time. Part of that will be creatives voluntarily starving the technology until the technology gets a lot more efficient.

the latest Planet Money podcast (March 12 episode) is about NFT’s and the Beeple auction.

Directory of episodes:

https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510289/planet-money

they also have a few entertaining and enlightening episodes where they try to buy rights to a comic-book superhero and ultimately hire Jerry Ordway as the artist to revive a 1940’s character in the public domain. 

Edited by Hekla

Over in the lowbrow world, Jeff Soto is going through his own struggle.

image.thumb.png.de2ab02608316a7c1eee666733c21fac.png

A little deeper down in comments is this, not sure if true or not...

jaen.art @hatch_art Sorry, I didn't mean you, but there are actual harrassment campaigns on Twitter with people making public lists of artists involved in NFTs, fo real 😬 Ethereum enables a money system, a digital item marketplace, voting systems, contracts, certificates of authenticity, games, insurance policies and whatnot. It's a whole ecosystem, because it's Turing-complete (not like Bitcoin, you can program anything on it). And the cost of printing bad merch and art prints, framing and shipping are probably worse than selling NFTs, so the bigger picture is AFAIK neutral at worst, and within a year less bad than what it replaces. My 2 cents!

13 hours ago, Bird said:

Others, however, are asking: at what cost? Joanie Lemercier, a French sculptor known for his light projections as well as his climate activism, sold six NFTs in his first blockchain drop. Using Cryptoart.wtf, a website started by his fellow artist Memo Akten that tracks emissions associated with individual drops, Lemercier was appalled to learn that his sale consumed 8.7 megawatt-hours of energy — equivalent to two years of energy use in his studio.

can someone explain how an NFT consumes this much energy?  Comparable to what? Not existing? How does a single NFT do that? Just by being hosted, or the energy consumed in the act of creating and the energy consumed in selling it online? This seems suspect to me. How does that compare to posting on FB, sending a tweet, hosting and posting a page of comic art on CAF? Me sending this post? (don't' answer that! I anticipate the snarky remarks already! ) Seems like there some basic laws of physics being broken here.  I'm not arguing with the idea that it has an environmental impact, but I want to know that in terms of other comparable digital entities. I know bitcoin mining used to consume processor speed back in the day, and that in theory consumed energy, and there were many programs that leeched unused processor speed to mine in the background, to it's true energy consumption is a little ethereal, because if that computer on the grid was on and doing something else regardless, then it wasn't using any MORE energy and you could argue there's so much unused or underused processing power and therefore energy that making more things with the same energy cost is more efficient. Also, depending on how it's hosted, there are server platforms that are carbon neutral, or near so, like the Apple server farms.

Edited by MyNameIsLegion