• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NFT Ramblings
1 1

208 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, MyNameIsLegion said:

if that computer on the grid was on and doing something else regardless, then it wasn't using any MORE energy

Computers use more energy under CPU load.

In my opinion, I completely understand and share artists' environmental concerns regarding Ethereum. But as has been pointed out in the threads @vodoulinked, NFT and cryptoart is a fart in the wind compared to the institutional money happening on there. It's kind of like saying household recycling is important. It definitely is, but then you see the scale of industrial pollution and you just... :sorry:

From the Bleeding Cool post-

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/comic-creators-react-to-dc-comics-and-their-nft-plans/

Augie De Blieck Jr: Is anyone else concerned that DC's language on NFT sounds very close to « You can't sell your original art created for a DC comic? I don't know if NFTs are going to take off, but the artist should still own the rights to their own artwork, as they do with physical art now.

I think DC should step in regarding open editions and limited editions to protect their IP and properly license it out. I think they should get the heel out of the way on 1-of-1's. That's the original art that the artist should be allowed to sell.

Edited by BCarter27

1 hour ago, vodou said:

It's geekspeak but I could handle it, bet you can too :) https://www.loop-news.com/p/the-big-problem-with-nfts-energy

THAT, was extremely helpful, thank you, but it does raise the philosophical question of "opportunity cost" in what an artist creates, as in the T-shirt example. Hell, just think of the carbon footprint of the art supplies and markers and inks and pencils and paper to even produce a piece of physical art.  these sunk costs are not being passed on to consumers directly, because much of the energy and material cost (same thing, 1st and 2nd law of thermodynamics) is taken from the environment at large.  We could make the same argument about raising a puppy. Is it ethical is it right, no matter how cute it is. But this article does speak to changes in the how this stuff works that would dramatically reduce and NFT's carbon footprint, it just seems like they need ot wait a year.  Bu too many people will FOMO now and want to jump on board. 

Edited by MyNameIsLegion

20 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

I hope people take notice, but DC’s letter is not limited to NFT’s. It basically puts anyone selling monoprints of DC’s characters out of business. 

Is there another letter out there? Because the one I read only talks about NFTs.

https://boingboing.net/2021/03/13/dc-warning-letter-about-using-comic-characters-in-nfts-is-being-sold-as-an-nft.html

7 minutes ago, hmendryk said:

Is there another letter out there? Because the one I read only talks about NFTs.

https://boingboing.net/2021/03/13/dc-warning-letter-about-using-comic-characters-in-nfts-is-being-sold-as-an-nft.html

pretty sure they said digital images with or without NFTs

Edited by Bird

Latest Beeple!

‘This Is Going to Be a Billion-Dollar Piece Someday’: The Buyer of the $69 Million Beeple NFT on Why It’s the Greatest Artwork in a Generation

Singapore-based NFT collectors Metakovan and Twobadour want to build "a massive monument" to their new work.

Eileen Kinsella, March 12, 2021

A day after the first NFT (or non-fungible token) artwork sold at Christie’s for an astonishing $69.3 million, the buyer of the record-setting, purely digital work by Beeple has stepped forward.

The Singapore-based NFT production studio and crypto fund Metapurse, which is financed by its pseudonymous founder Metakovan and operated with someone named Twobadour, bought the work by Beeple (aka Mike Winkelmann), titled Everydays—The First 5,000 Days. (The collectors do not share their real names.)

Metapurse is a collection of NFTs...

I've been doing the digital collectible thing since 2015, which I think may have been before NFT was a thing. Topps launched its Bunt app, which is MLB cards back in 2012. Related to this forum, Topps currently has Marvel Collect and Star Wars Card Trader that allow you to trade and buy digital trading cards. They aren't officially NFTs, but you can still sell them for a decent amount on eBay.

Quidd is another app, which has a lot of "channels" including Marvel, Star Trek, Valiant, Rick and Morty and a lot more, offers digital collectibles - everything from cards to stickers and digital figures. The app launched in 2016 and is going through a NFT transformation. It will soon launch on the blockchain later this month, but you can currently buy and sell for real $ in the app. I've been collecting there since 2016, so I've accumulated some nice stuff, but new users can get involved in the app and make money right away by pulling "lows" or limited stuff without much effort. I've noticed a huge influx of crypto and NFT enthusiasts the last week or so, which have driven up a lot of prices of older stuff. 

It can be a little overwhelming, but if anybody downloads and has questions about the apps, feel free to post here or shoot me a PM.

Edited by awakeintheashes

4 hours ago, vodou said:

Latest Beeple!

‘This Is Going to Be a Billion-Dollar Piece Someday’: The Buyer of the $69 Million Beeple NFT on Why It’s the Greatest Artwork in a Generation

Singapore-based NFT collectors Metakovan and Twobadour want to build "a massive monument" to their new work.

Eileen Kinsella, March 12, 2021

A day after the first NFT (or non-fungible token) artwork sold at Christie’s for an astonishing $69.3 million, the buyer of the record-setting, purely digital work by Beeple has stepped forward.

The Singapore-based NFT production studio and crypto fund Metapurse, which is financed by its pseudonymous founder Metakovan and operated with someone named Twobadour, bought the work by Beeple (aka Mike Winkelmann), titled Everydays—The First 5,000 Days. (The collectors do not share their real names.)

Metapurse is a collection of NFTs...

Does anyone trust the person that dropped $69 million on it to provide and unbiased opinion on the future value?  I bet they change their tune on the value real quick if the US institutes a wealth tax !