• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NFT Ramblings
1 1

208 posts in this topic

Here are a couple of new-ish interesting videos on the topic. Apparently Rob Liefield was considering introducing a new superhero team via NFT, but put those plans on hold when he realized he didn't know enough about them yet. lol

And NFTs are coming to Magic the Gathering. Now you can own one-of-a-kind links to digital cards instead of the actual card to play with or art to display! Or something like that.

Anyone see how NFTs have started to be included on hot ebay auctions over at CAF? 

This piece is currently over $300 dollars and seems to be a model done for a McFarlane Batman statue.

The idea for these seems to be that this company called VEVE does timed drops of pop culture properties combined with them drops all being limited releases and having rarity scales. These digital items are then added to your digital collection that can be viewed in AR through your phone. The company seems to make their money on this by you only being able to buy these items when they drop by converting real-world currency into their exclusive crypto and using it to buy items from their store. Looking through other auctions it seems they also do drops of comic book covers too with the rarity scale for them being variant covers that have a smaller number of releases. It seems to be working for them though since everything is listed as soldout.

The must have a deal with Warner Brothers too since they only have DC and other properties belonging to them and do seem to use real world variant covers that were digitized.
Here's an example of a current one at the highest rarity they list with a bid of over $500 currently.

Going through sold listings it seems someone paid up to $1000 for one of them also and many others so not just a one off either.

The most expensive sale I've found so far has been this Golden Ghost Busters ED logo that sold with a single person bidding on the starting asking price of $13,500.

Edited by DeadpoolJr.

5 minutes ago, Will_K said:

VEVE Todd McFarlane Batman FIRST APPEARANCE #1251 NFT Digital Collectible

Low Serial Number #1251 / 7500

Currently $425 with 47 bids and 9 hours remaining

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265141222142?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5336399660&toolid=10001&customid=CAFHotHeader

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but this is an auction for an NFT for a physical statue, but I can't tell from the description if the physical statue (as well as the NFT) also goes to the highest bidder. Yes? No? God, I feel old right now.

40 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but this is an auction for an NFT for a physical statue, but I can't tell from the description if the physical statue (as well as the NFT) also goes to the highest bidder. Yes? No? God, I feel old right now.

No idea.  I think it's some kind of 3D digital model based on the McFarlane drawing.  The ebay listing shows 2 views.

For posterity here are the images from the ebay listing:

batman-nft1.jpg

batman-nft2.jpg

batman-nft3.jpg

VEVE ECOMI Todd McFarlane Batman Black & White FIRST APPEARANCE #1251 NFT VEVE Digital Collectible. VERY LOW minted number #1251 / 7500.

Buyer must have an active VEVE app account and provide user information (Screenshot of username and QR code ideally) exactly as is displayed on the VEVE app to receive the digital collectible. Transfer will take place after payment has been cleared. 

Edited by Will_K

Regarding that Batman "statue," I'm pretty sure it's just an NFT. It's listed as free shipping and a transfer after patient into VEVE or whatever. Plus it's not even one of a kind. There are 7500 of them.

But guys, I found a good one. Check out this listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133703241309?hash=item1f21558e5d:g:NK8AAOSw3qBgW0fD

"Mitch McConnell says Americans are now sitting on "historic piles of cash."

Here I am selling two things:

First, you get my historic pile of cash: it's $100 in the form of 35 $1 bills and 13 $5 bills. It's an historic pile of cash, not an NFT.

Second, and far more importantly, you get the electronic "paper trail" from eBay that you bought it. Being the purchaser gives you massive bragging rights."

7 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

It's a digital statue, you can see when you use the AR feature on the app through your phone camera.

2 minutes ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

It's a digital statue, you can see when you use the AR feature on the app through your phone camera.

Hmmm, ok. When I see that this is #1251 out of 7500, does that mean that there is an expectation that the sellers expect to sell 7500 of these at hundreds of dollars a piece? I could sort of understand the digital one of one angle angle for NFT's, or even a VERY limited edition, but 7500??? The head space you have to take yourself to to make this even remotely appealing is beyond me.

Oh, and you kids get off my lawn!!! 

1 hour ago, stinkininkin said:

Hmmm, ok. When I see that this is #1251 out of 7500, does that mean that there is an expectation that the sellers expect to sell 7500 of these at hundreds of dollars a piece? I could sort of understand the digital one of one angle angle for NFT's, or even a VERY limited edition, but 7500??? The head space you have to take yourself to to make this even remotely appealing is beyond me.

No, the seller on Ebay is actually a reseller who was able to get one when they got released or "dropped" which is term often used for when limited edition products are released.

Here's what I wrote about it before if you want a more thorough answer on what these nfts seem to be from this company veve. In it you'll notice that to buy these nfts when they drop, you'll only be able to purchase them using their own crypto currency which requires you to exchange US dollars to get. Looking at it the original price of these nfts seemed to be around 40 to 100 dollars depending on the rarity.  Higher level rarities mean lower amounts offered like with how this one is described as a common and has 7500 total. Something like an ultra rare will cost more and maybe only have 1000 total available; never to be reissued again or known as the first edition which is kind of relatable with comics.

An advantage they have is that these are all officially licensed products from companies like, DC, Warner Bros, etc and not a rando selling them which gives them a type of legitimacy. I noticed a few Jim Lee nfts too which seem to always be the rarer ones. You might want to look into it actually and see if you and Jim are getting any shares of these sales since the models are based of your work. NFTs themselves are suppose to give the artists who created them originally a percent every time their resold but it seems like these eBay sellers are getting around that since you can't really enforce it through ebay sales and the veve app records it as being traded for "free". 

On 5/2/2021 at 5:45 AM, DeadpoolJr. said:

Anyone see how NFTs have started to be included on hot ebay auctions over at CAF? 

This piece is currently over $300 dollars and seems to be a model done for a McFarlane Batman statue.

The idea for these seems to be that this company called VEVE does timed drops of pop culture properties combined with them drops all being limited releases and having rarity scales. These digital items are then added to your digital collection that can be viewed in AR through your phone. The company seems to make their money on this by you only being able to buy these items when they drop by converting real-world currency into their exclusive crypto and using it to buy items from their store. Looking through other auctions it seems they also do drops of comic book covers too with the rarity scale for them being variant covers that have a smaller number of releases. It seems to be working for them though since everything is listed as soldout.

The must have a deal with Warner Brothers too since they only have DC and other properties belonging to them and do seem to use real world variant covers that were digitized.
Here's an example of a current one at the highest rarity they list with a bid of over $500 currently.

Going through sold listings it seems someone paid up to $1000 for one of them also and many others so not just a one off either.

The most expensive sale I've found so far has been this Golden Ghost Busters ED logo that sold with a single person bidding on the starting asking price of $13,500.

If you want to read about more you can checkout this article

https://www.one37pm.com/nft/art/veve-nft-digital-collectibles

So basically the creator of this NFT just followed a rather easy to replicate process to create a trackable/semi-unique Jpeg showcasing IP they have no creation rights to...and the end result is that some rando will hand them hundreds if not thousands of dollars for this unlicensed low effort fad cashin?

On every level this is the most perfect thing that could exist at this point right now in our planets history. If this last year has taught me anything its that we are a non-serious species at this point. I hope to god people make millions of these worthless digital pet-rocks and sell them to each-other for billions.

On 5/3/2021 at 10:51 AM, Will_K said:

VEVE Todd McFarlane Batman FIRST APPEARANCE #1251 NFT Digital Collectible

Low Serial Number #1251 / 7500

Currently $425 with 47 bids and 9 hours remaining

Sold for $530.00

On 5/4/2021 at 5:03 PM, vodou said:

And we used to get bashed in junior high for collecting comics lollollol 

I so want to bash NFTs here, but I know that would be a dumb thing to do .

So... NFT ramblings.

Blockchain is already well on the way towards allowing everyone to tokenize everything but the current trade is not really doing NFTs any favours in normalising the technology or the usefulness of digital transactions/ownership. I reckon it's going to take brands, luxury items, logistics, online games and other things (e.g. even the trade of physical art) to bring it into the mainstream. edit: that and being built into payment apps

Maybe kids now will want NFTs of all the old apps, games and Youtube stuff they grew up with??? or maybe there will be too many opportunists wanting to make a quick buck for anyone to see value in it. I can see it working for me in places, I would love it if some of the digital online gaming or TCG stuff I have collected over the years could be traded to new players when I lost interest. Still seems like a bit of a mess that is fuelled by a lot of hype and speculators willing to pump and dump stuff though, so I can still have a pop at it :bigsmile: The marketplace is getting saturated very quickly. It's going to be great for digital artists when the dust settles though, digital art has been crying out for something like this and talent is talent.

In this hobby, would people eventually want to own and put a digitally created comic page/cover NFT in their online gallery of choice if it was being sold by the artist? If so for what price when the alternative is to put your money into a physical piece?

How are people going to feel about it when it's showcased side by side with digital pages where a physical copy exists or still frames of cartoons/anime just because someone is able to acquire the license and it's not even coming from the artist? edit: Mickey Mouse will be selling you art :D

Owning a physical original is still going to be very stiff competition for a long time.

On 5/4/2021 at 12:05 AM, stinkininkin said:

Beyond the one to one digital pieces would it be a good thing if every piece of physical art we bought was securely recorded in a database with complete ownership history, scan/photo and other details that travelled with it after having originally been digitally stamped by the artist? I think a tool like that would be pretty easy to bundle into an app that also tweeted out the photo/scan and do other stuff, which might mean it offsets the time spent using it against social media/brand, finance/taxes, taking payments etc. It might be a pain to have to accommodate adding older pieces all the time though.

Edited by Garf

Imagine the future where not only is everything you do in the real world tracked by mass camera surveillance and all your online activity monitored and recorded, but now also all your possessions are logged via blockchain and cash has been made “obsolete” as all financial transactions are now digital only.

It’s got all the makings of some early 20th century dystopian novel...only now we look towards that future smiling and with open arms.

5 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Imagine the future where not only is everything you do in the real world tracked by mass camera surveillance and all your online activity monitored and recorded, but now also all your possessions are logged via blockchain and cash has been made “obsolete” as all financial transactions are now digital only.

It’s got all the makings of some early 20th century dystopian novel...only now we look towards that future smiling and with open arms.

Don't forget your mobile phone, car or electric smart car, your television that is internet connected with a webcam and mic, your smart home that has to connect to someone else's cloud for the convenience of turning on a bulb, your Alexa that is apparently not always listening, your doorbell camera that 3rd parties can access, the operating system and browser which you are using to read this which defaults to keeping an online record of everything you write and do, the "free" email account you use, the cards in your wallet or any modern identification containing NFC chips, the devices owned by your family and friends... the trail from a blockchain that ended at your doorstep irrespective of what you purchased online because logistics companies have started using it.

Imagine a world where comic collectors are forced into having their posessions numbered, barcoded, sealed in plastic and then put on public record for everyone to pass judgement on. :baiting:

(What people already let into their lives and homes makes NFTs/blockchain seem pretty tame. I still like the idea of having tokens or organised digital receipts where it might benefit me with proof of origin or facilitating resale. I don't think wider adoption of it is going to be something which we can avoid, at least until someone breaks it.

Sorry if this has strayed away from the art/hobby side of things :sorry:)