• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it normal for cards to move/slide around in the CGC slab?

10 posts in this topic

I have around 10 CGC slabs purchased from different sources. When tilting the slab, some cards don't move around at all, some move a little, and some move around a lot. My expectation was that the card would be completely secure inside the case.

Of course, the concern is that the cards will become damaged over time. (Not that I plan to shake them all day long.)

Have you noticed this as well? Is it the same for PSA/BGS cases? 

Edited by CamelJR
clarity

What do you mean by "slab?" Are you using a semi-rigid like a Card Saver I or a "regular" top loader? In my experience (what little that is) cards seem pretty snug in semi-rigids but move around a bit in top loaders. Friends of mine with much more experience than myself said the same to me.

It may very well be a design decision, and may actually prevent card damage (card isn't getting pressed too hard in the case, ease of removing from case if needed, etc) however the "wiggle room" isn't consistent per slab. Like I said before, some don't move around at all. Unfortunately, the one that's most loose is my perfect 10 :S

I have a couple CGC slabs I've purchased. The both have a small gap (like maybe 1/16" or less) on all sides. From what I can tell it's so minuscule that I don't see how much damage it will actually cause if the card slides.

One thing I have noticed over time is I seem to get the most stability from CGC slabs but it is not at all uncommon for the cards to move around.  It is pretty common actually no matter the grading service used.

Edit:  not at all uncommon for the cards to "be able to" move around.  Just dont be shaking your slabs and it will be all good :) 

Edited by LordSherman
typo